PDA

View Full Version : N frame madness!!!

mellonhead
10-01-2010, 08:10 PM
I just got my first S&W N frame about a month ago when I picked up my 625 Mountain Gun in 45 Colt. Made me want another one real bad. Well low and behold I found a 4" 25-9 on Gunbroker. NowI just have to wait till it gets here. I am hoping all that I have read about the 25-9's turns out to be true.

Toby

Heavy lead
10-02-2010, 09:44 PM
I keep buying those N frames too. Don't care how big the hole is they're all good.

358wcf
10-03-2010, 08:46 AM
After about 40 years of shooting Smiths almost exclusively, I've noted that the N-frames seem to stay in the collection much, much longer than the K-frames. Come to think of it, I've never parted with an N-frame other than those bargain-priced Model 28s back in college. Can you believe I used to buy a new 28 for $90 plus tax back in the 1970's??? Oh, to have a few of those left today!
Today's roundup shows a 4" model 24, a 6" model 24, and a 6.5" model 25-2. All are tack-drivers. Quality and fit and finish on an old Smith is something to behold-
Is somebody buying up all the used Smiths these days? I haven't seen a used K or N frame Smith in over a year-- Hope I'm not too late!

358wcf [smilie=1:[smilie=1:[smilie=1:

Frank
10-03-2010, 11:34 AM
I'm glad there are N frames. Now I can find a good holster for my Redhawk.

Grapeshot
10-03-2010, 04:14 PM

Yep, seems like my holsters for my S&W 625 fit my Colt Anaconda as well.

TDC
10-03-2010, 05:40 PM

I'm glad there are notorious trolls among us.

They remind all of us N frame lovers our appreciation of this successful "N" design is well deserved and that success threatens their desire to try to influence others.

We must realize we are unintentionally "rattling the cages" of lame detractors and that we have long ago won the antiquated debates they'd like to inflame.

Long live the N frame.... and long live the Redhawk, too...

Shooter6br
10-03-2010, 05:59 PM
Mine is a 657 41 mag with 6 in barrel.I seem to do better with 6 in than a 4 in barrel pistol

GOPHER SLAYER
10-03-2010, 09:30 PM
I just have to shed a few showers on this "N" frame love fest. I recently had the opportunity to buy several big frame Smiths and passed on all of them. As I recall, there were three 44spl and three 44mags. One was a nickle plated mod 29 with six inch barrel. There were 357 'L'frames also but in six inch barrel length. I bought a four inch " K" 22 LR. It has a trigger pull that is only bettered by one that Buckshot has on a 38spl S&W. The lady's husband had died and she wanted them gone . She told me she had even thought of wrapping them in rags and hiding them in the trash. She had her daughter take them all to a gun shop and told them to sell them. Actually I have very small hands and the big pistols just look comical in my hand. I do have a mod 29 in near mint condition but I rarely take it to the range. I took a S&W afficinado with me and he only bought a three inch barrel mod 19 in 357. I also bought a Ruger BH in 357. It has a 4-3/4 inch barrel. Of all the Smiths I have owned and foolishly sold, my deepest regret is over a five shot three inch 'J' frame square butt 38 spl. I could keep beer cans rolling at twenty to twenty five feet with that that little beauty. It also fit very well in a jacket pocket when we went out at night into questionable areas. S&W did make them again in there clasic series but it cost a cool thou after taxes. Might as well buy a Charter Arms.

Heavy lead
10-03-2010, 09:42 PM

They remind all of us N frame lovers our appreciation of this successful "N" design is well deserved and that success threatens their desire to try to influence others.

We must realize we are unintentionally "rattling the cages" of lame detractors and that we have long ago won the antiquated debates they'd like to inflame.

Agreed, I have 7 N frames currently, one Redhawk and one Super Redhawk, I wish the Redhawk shot as good, it has a terrific double action trigger pull, so so single action, it is a very picky shooter though, now the N frames all shoot great, especially the 41's (three total) and will shoot almost anything good. The Super is a far superior handgun to the Redhawk (although butt ugly IMO). I know, I know I can use the Ruger's for a rocket launcher, but who cares. Love the Smith's.
Then of course there is resale value, IME the Smith's will be worth as much or more tomorrow, not so with the Ruger's, especially the Redhawks, unless they are in 41 or 357.

TDC
10-03-2010, 11:20 PM
Agreed, I have 7 N frames currently, one Redhawk and one Super Redhawk, I wish the Redhawk shot as good, it has a terrific double action trigger pull, so so single action, it is a very picky shooter though, now the N frames all shoot great, especially the 41's (three total) and will shoot almost anything good. The Super is a far superior handgun to the Redhawk (although butt ugly IMO). I know, I know I can use the Ruger's for a rocket launcher, but who cares. Love the Smith's.
Then of course there is resale value, IME the Smith's will be worth as much or more tomorrow, not so with the Ruger's, especially the Redhawks, unless they are in 41 or 357.

I'm with you, Heavy lead....

I have a very large collection of Smiths and more than a few Rugers. I love them all but for different reasons. I have three consecutive numbered, very early Redhawks issued by the the Ruger Collectors Association in the early eighties. A fine handgun in it own right and a set I'm proud of.

My favorites are Smiths.... I collect them, I shoot them and I hunt with them.

I think it's time for everyone to be adult and start respecting each others choices without regressing to a childish state of "my toy's better than your toy." Not having anything better to do than to jerk other peoples chain is way too common on these websites.

Notice how this perfectly respectful and enthusiastic thread was quickly reduced to a kind of sideways derogatory statement where I believe most of us would get the posters point and intent. Implying an "N" frame has little value other than to supply a holster for another make certainly falls in that childish opinion/troll category.

JMHO........

Oyeboten
10-04-2010, 05:03 AM
The first Hand Gun I ever fired was an S & W M1917 in .45 ACP when I was 8 or 9 and my dad took me shooting.

I managed just fine with it, recoil never bothered me at all...and we used to shoot old brown box WWII Surplus Hardball with it.

Long later, I finally got one for myself, and it is a perfect Revolver for me far as size and heft and all round everything.

Lloyd Smale
10-04-2010, 05:17 AM
4 inch n frames are one of my favorite 6 guns.

oldhickory
10-04-2010, 01:45 PM
4 inch n frames are one of my favorite 6 guns.

Ain't no doubt, Lloyd. That 4" M629 in my avatar is the one I choose to hang on my belt most often...It just seems right.

Heavy lead
10-04-2010, 01:48 PM
I'm with you, Heavy lead....

I have a very large collection of Smiths and more than a few Rugers. I love them all but for different reasons. I have three consecutive numbered, very early Redhawks issued by the the Ruger Collectors Association in the early eighties. A fine handgun in it own right and a set I'm proud of.

My favorites are Smiths.... I collect them, I shoot them and I hunt with them.

I think it's time for everyone to be adult and start respecting each others choices without regressing to a childish state of "my toy's better than your toy." Not having anything better to do than to jerk other peoples chain is way too common on these websites.

Notice how this perfectly respectful and enthusiastic thread was quickly reduced to a kind of sideways derogatory statement where I believe most of us would get the posters point and intent. Implying an "N" frame has little value other than to supply a holster for another make certainly falls in that childish opinion/troll category.

JMHO........

Yup, different strokes for different folks, including myself. I've got some beloved Rugers, most Bisley models, but I'll tell you, I've got a Blue GP100 that'll shoot with anything out there, other than putting Hogue wood grips on it, I've done nothing to it but clean and oil. But don't slander my N Frames, fine, fine handguns. As far as that goes even though I don't own a Colt, they're super as well. The RugerSmithRemingtonWinchesterFordChevy is something I just won't get involved in, now I will state the truth as to my experience from them (for instance some Ruger and Winchester rifles that have been bad) but they are all fine designs and IMO worth the money, some of the opinions are simply based on the relatively small sample (even more frequent buyers) we all get in our lifetimes.

wiljen
10-04-2010, 02:16 PM
I'm an N frame addict too, but most of mine have .358 diameter holes in them. Model 27s and 28s remain amongst my all time favorite handguns.

Frank
10-04-2010, 07:34 PM
Nothing against S&W or the N frame. I sure do like the accessories, speed loaders, loader pouch, holsters, etc. They do work like a glove in the Redhawk. That was my only point . I like N frames. :Fire:

a.squibload
10-05-2010, 04:26 AM
My 2" 29 is very accurate, surprised me, even with 300+gn CBs.
$250 in the early '80s, guy I worked with shot 5 rounds of factory and gave it up.
Just a little harder to conceal than the Bulldog!
Wish I had bought a couple more way back when, always seemed too fancy.

mellonhead
10-05-2010, 07:41 PM
Just picked up N frame #2. This is a 25-9 and has an ultra smooth action. I would love to add a 5" to the set.

http://i688.photobucket.com/albums/vv243/mellonhead1973/000_0003-1.jpg

Toby

Cowboy T
10-05-2010, 08:10 PM
Probably the most beautiful gun I've ever seen was a S&W N-frame, a model 629 with uncheckered rosewood stocks. It was made back in the mid 1980's and sat in a guy's safe for nearly 25 years, never fired. I am happy to report that this deficiency is now rectified. :mrgreen:

S&W N-frames simply are, aesthetically speaking, absolutely perfectly proportioned, graceful--they're just it. Redhawks are also very good looking guns, and there's little that's stronger, but nothing's quite as beautiful as an N-frame. And to fire one is to appreciate something akin to a fine Swiss timepiece.

BTW, out of principle, the only S&W's that I'll buy are the ones without the Infernal Lock System (ILS). My money, my choice. Any S&W I've ever bought has been pre-2000.

TDC
10-05-2010, 11:34 PM
I'm an N frame addict too, but most of mine have .358 diameter holes in them. Model 27s and 28s remain amongst my all time favorite handguns.

wiljin,

As you know, anyone who hasn't had the privilege of owning a Mod 27 is missing the finest balanced, most superbly finished S&W ever made, IMHO...

The 27 is the lone S&W made with a fully checkered top strap. It is a feature that should have been incorporated on all N frames. Anyone who hasn't seen that feature should check a Mod 27 out sometime.. My S&W collection is large and focused on pre-82 P&R Smiths. My all-time favorite N frame in the collection is a Mod. 27-2 5".

mellonhead...

Welcome to the addiction!:-D Great looking picture and great looking pair of Mod 25 N's you can be extremely proud of. Beware of your future because I've seen your kind of enthusiasm before.... You're going to want them all...:drinks:

CALGOUGERS.NET
10-05-2010, 11:44 PM

And long live the Dan Wesson [smilie=w:

geargnasher
10-06-2010, 12:54 AM
:popcorn:

Gear

square butte
10-06-2010, 07:15 AM
I agree that the 27 in 5" is my favorite of the ones I own, and one of the best that S & W ever offered. I'm thinking of aquiring another 5 incher and having it converted to .44 special. Have seen a few 28's done so, but never a 5 inch 27. Anyone ever handled a 27 5" conveted to the special?

Frank
10-06-2010, 09:05 AM
Can someone do a thread on K frames?

358wcf
10-06-2010, 09:28 AM
Yes-
I did this very thing just two years ago- had too many 357mag revolvers (is there such a thing?), and was tired of waiting and waiting to find a model 24 44Spec.
Took the 4" model 27, shipped it off to Hamilton Bowen in TN- six weeks later he returns the finest 44Spec revolver I've ever seen. Almost everyone who sees it at the range is puzzled by the signature checkering on the topstrap and barrel, and can't figure out the 44Spec chambering. Man, oh Man, is this thing accurate!!!! Bowen does a fantastic job, and his action job has to be seen to believe!
If you do it, you will be HAPPY!
Bowenclassicarms-

358wcf [smilie=1:[smilie=1:[smilie=1:

square butte
10-06-2010, 11:48 AM
Did you have the barrel remarked as to caliber? Let me guess - About a $1000? I have always admired Ham Bowens work. He has to be one of the premeir pistol smiths on the planet right now. I have heard good things about Jim Stroh (? spelling) as well. It's bound to happen. Thanks for rhe reply.

Frank
10-07-2010, 11:03 AM
So what's the difference between an N frame and a Redhawk? I see even on sale the Smiths are twice the money as Rugers. I like the Model 27, but it's kind of heavy. Maybe a .38, but it's kind of a puny caliber. [smilie=l:

GLL
10-07-2010, 11:19 AM
A couple of old Pre-War .38/44 Outdoorsman N-frames. They love the IDEAL 358429 @ 1100fps !
A thread about N-frames needs more photos ! :) :)

Jerry

http://www.fototime.com/82E75D2A5113D6D/orig.jpg

http://www.fototime.com/3F7A8BDFAAE1956/orig.jpg

Frank
10-07-2010, 12:15 PM
GLL said
A thread about N-frames needs more photos !

I agree! K-frames too. What is a 38/44? Why the different numbers? How do you like reloading and shooting the round?

TDC
10-07-2010, 01:08 PM
Did someone say more "N" pictures?

http://i170.photobucket.com/albums/u269/tdcorp/Smith%20and%20Wesson/SixNFavorites2.jpg

home in oz
10-07-2010, 01:21 PM
Photos of the gunmakers artistry!

Uncle R.
10-07-2010, 01:35 PM
Oh lordy - you guys ought to be ashamed of yourself for those pictures... I confess that I have looked at those pictures with...
(to steal a Jimmy Carter phrase)

Lust in my heart.
;-)

GLL
10-07-2010, 05:27 PM
Frank:

The S&W .38/44 Outdoorsman (and the Heavy Duty) is a .38 Special revolver that is built on the .44 HE N-frame. The loads are "warm" such that a 358429 will reach 1100fps.

I have a soft spot in my heart for these and own "several" ! I am especially interested in the Pre-War and early Post-War long-action versions !

These are Post-War 1940's versions.

Jerry

http://www.fototime.com/B2503D32A4C0527/orig.jpg

http://www.fototime.com/7D3DFB5CF113CC3/orig.jpg

Frank
10-08-2010, 12:07 AM
GLL said
The S&W .38/44 Outdoorsman (and the Heavy Duty) is a .38 Special revolver that is built on the .44 HE N-frame.

I get it. Lke the Ruger 22/45.

GLL said
The loads are "warm" such that a 358429 will reach 1100fps.

I noticed some of the classic .38's S&W sells are +P. I read that .38 loads are 770 fps and .38 +P is 1,000 fps. So you are right. That load is probably warm.

GLL said
I have a soft spot in my heart for these and own "several" ! I am especially interested in the Pre-War and early Post-War long-action versions !

These are Post-War 1940's versions.

You have good taste in firearms. Thank you for sharing your collection of the outdoorsman .38/44's.

Combat Diver
10-08-2010, 01:02 AM
I've owned several N frames in the past, very briefly a 4" 629, a 29-2 that my oldest son just inherited in July and a bunch chambered in .41 Mag. Still have a model 58 and looking for a 6" or 8.375" M57/657 when I get home.

29-2 6.5" 44 Mag
http://www.hunt101.com/data/500/medium/Presentation_cased_M29.JPG

58 4" 41 Mag
http://www.hunt101.com/data/500/medium/9809smith_wesson_M58.JPG

zombie480
10-13-2010, 08:10 PM
29-3 3"
http://mysite.verizon.net/vze4crfm/sw29-3e.jpg

629-1 2.5"
http://mysite.verizon.net/vze4crfm/629-1c.jpg

imashooter2
10-13-2010, 08:19 PM
My 28-2 wearing the cokes that the seller threw in after the deal was done...
http://home.comcast.net/~imashooter2/pictures/28-2b-760.jpg

My 625-8 USPSA gun...
http://home.comcast.net/~imashooter2/pictures/625-8.jpg

And a not very good picture of my Performance Center 627-5 fresh from the ICORE East Coast Regional...
http://home.comcast.net/~imashooter2/pictures/627-5-760.jpg

TDC
10-14-2010, 02:03 AM
What a beautiful and superbly functional group of various N frames shown on this thread.

I thought some of you stainless fans would like to see this 8 3/8" version of the first 629s produced. The 629s were the first N frame stainless revolvers made by S&W. They were only produced with the pinned barrel and recessed cylinder for a very short time as S&W was eliminating those features at that time. Among collectors, these P&R "no dash" early 629's are among the most sought after "modern" S&W pistols. If you have one call me.....:)

Thirty years later it's difficult to find S&Ws that aren't stainless...

http://i170.photobucket.com/albums/u269/tdcorp/Smith%20and%20Wesson/6293.jpg

missionary5155
10-14-2010, 02:07 AM
Greetings
I am rather fond of my model 57 6". But if was to take up Steel Smashing again I sure would not pick that brand of Wesson out of the storage box. Fit & Finish has little value when the revolver will not stand up to a constant heavy pounding. I will take a Dan Wesson any day first and last.

a.squibload
10-14-2010, 04:18 AM
Yeah, but they look good.
And shoot good.
And I guess they could be repaired if you wear one out.
This one's barely used.

http://lh5.ggpht.com/_69sguoFlVzY/TLa4WQBBDfI/AAAAAAAAABA/5_COvVqGsQE/29.JPG

PS: I misstated earlier, it's a 3".

PPS: I gotta try that seamless white background setup, looks good.

mack1
10-16-2010, 01:11 PM

I am very glad there are folks with this opinion. I would never find a used N or L frame otherwise, they are hard enough to find anyway. I do understand although I once owmed many rugers until seeing the light sheer ruggedness is only part of the picture.

mack1
10-16-2010, 04:28 PM
I read the rest of the thread and see I should have made my post a little diffrent. I have had the ruger smith debate many times and it stirrs me a little. I have nothing aginst rugers and ment no disrespect to Frank but I like smiths better.

Shooter6br
10-16-2010, 05:39 PM
Love my 657 6in.Love n frames . Like to have one in 45 acp.

Frank
10-16-2010, 11:10 PM
mack1 "I have nothing aginst rugers and ment no disrespect to Frank but I like smiths better."

Actually, I do like Smith's. How much better can you get than having the best DA pull in the business? Plus every model of theirs is built like a jewel or seems to be. What more could someone want in a handgun? Whether for plinking or game, with the right boolit there is certainly nothing a S&W takes a back seat on. That's why they cost more. You pay for what you get.

unclebill
10-18-2010, 06:41 AM
this 27-2 is the only one i have.
i got it for $400 at a pawnshop.
it didnt come with the cleaning rod or papers but i got the case and everything else.
now i want one in each length!.357 mag

http://i98.photobucket.com/albums/l272/billhedges/zzzzsw003.jpg
http://i98.photobucket.com/albums/l272/billhedges/zzzzsw006.jpg
http://i98.photobucket.com/albums/l272/billhedges/zzzzsw012.jpg

a.squibload
10-19-2010, 12:13 AM
How dare you parade that flashy thing in front of us? (Wish I had one.)

Frank
10-19-2010, 01:10 PM
I sure like the S&W's. What is MIM? And how does the trigger lock function on the new ones?

wiljen
10-24-2010, 09:42 AM
I sure like the S&W's. What is MIM? And how does the trigger lock function on the new ones?

MIM - Metal injection molding. It is a method of making complex parts without the milling operations required on a forged part.

unclebill
12-23-2010, 08:05 AM
How dare you parade that flashy thing in front of us? (Wish I had one.)

it is a dream to shoot.
definitely the prettiest one in my collection.

MJR007
12-23-2010, 09:57 AM
I got the ugly one; 44mag 4" Airlite. It is great to carry but...

HATCH
12-23-2010, 10:28 AM
I own 6 N frames.
1 Model 27 6 inch nickle - my dad gave this to my 6yo boy so really its the boys
1 Model 28 4 inch blue
2 Model 657 - a 3inch and a 6 inch. The 6 inch is on loan to my brother ray.
1 Model 29 - 6 inch blue
1 model 625 3 inch round butt

Since you posted up pictures.... Click the pic for high res
My 625 3 inch - I bought it for $525 a couple years ago. Factory 3 inch round butt.
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v506/DrugRunR/625%203%20inch/th_pix1078163125.jpg (http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v506/DrugRunR/625%203%20inch/pix1078163125.jpg)

Here is a pic of the gun my two brothers and myself bought for my dad
657 6.5 inch
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v506/DrugRunR/th_DSC03438.jpg (http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v506/DrugRunR/DSC03438.jpg)

45r
12-24-2010, 06:50 PM
this 27-2 is the only one i have.
i got it for $400 at a pawnshop.
it didnt come with the cleaning rod or papers but i got the case and everything else.
now i want one in each length!.357 mag

http://i98.photobucket.com/albums/l272/billhedges/zzzzsw003.jpg
http://i98.photobucket.com/albums/l272/billhedges/zzzzsw006.jpg
http://i98.photobucket.com/albums/l272/billhedges/zzzzsw012.jpg

Hang on to that one,you'll never find a better revolver for the money then that one.The pinned barrel,checkered top and recessed cylinder guns are the best.I don't even think about getting any new S&W's,they don't have the same amount of time and handwork put into them.The best almost new ones to me are the CS ones that came out with the hand lapped heavy barrels.That is the last one I got and the one I used to shoot the buck in my avatar.It is a great sixgun.

GLL
12-25-2010, 12:21 AM
Pre-27
http://www.fototime.com/34298DE364C4472/orig.jpg

Jerry

Shooter6br
12-25-2010, 01:13 PM
Mine is a 657 . Best pistol i have.

cajun shooter
12-25-2010, 03:05 PM
Frank, The biggest difference between the S&W and Ruger are the lock times. That is why in most all revolver type competitions you will never see a Ruger being used. It is always the S&W. Colt at one time was also involved with the Python but it was a easy gun to have go bad with the least little bit of usage. I have attended 5 S&W schools and also the Ruger course. When it comes to a gun that will take a licking and keep on ticking the Ruger will win. But Ruger's are not fitted by hand with all the internal parts as the S&W is. A S&W will empty a cylinder before the Ruger gets started. Both have their place. The S&W will never be out done when it comes to action, fit, function and a general feeling of well being.

Walt
12-25-2010, 07:31 PM
S&W N-frames simply are, aesthetically speaking, absolutely perfectly proportioned, graceful--they're just it. Redhawks are also very good looking guns, and there's little that's stronger, but nothing's quite as beautiful as an N-frame. And to fire one is to appreciate something akin to a fine Swiss timepiece.

On this I must agree. The 6 1/2" Model 29 is on the top of my list of good lookin' revolvers.

Gunsmoke4570
12-26-2010, 12:45 AM
I own a 1917, a 38/44 Outdoorsman, Model 24-3, Model 25-2, Model 25-5, Model 625, Model 28, Model 29, and Model 57. This is not counting the L, K, and J frame revolvers, so yeah, I like Smiths. I love them all but, 38/44 will always hold a special place in my cabinet. I also have a Redhawk and it is a fine revolver in it's own right, but it just isn't a Smith.

Dale53
12-26-2010, 01:04 AM
My nostalgic favorite is the 624. I have both the 4" and 6½"> Here is the 6½":

http://i269.photobucket.com/albums/jj80/Dale53/DalesPistolsRevolvers5Selects-0198.jpg

On the other hand, I LOVE my 625's. Here is the 4" JM Special:

http://i269.photobucket.com/albums/jj80/Dale53/SW625-8JMSpecial-3351.jpg

I have shot more "show and tell" targets with my 625's than any of the others - this was standing at 25 yards:

http://i269.photobucket.com/albums/jj80/Dale53/img095.jpg

Long live Smith & Wesson!!

Dale53