PDA

View Full Version : any info on Hopkins and Allen forehand

hoosierlogger
10-01-2010, 07:59 PM
Tonight I bought a H&A forehand nickle plated in .38 S&W the only thing I had to test fire it with was .38 SPL full wad cutters loaded to the bare minimum. It shot fine with no lead shaving from cylinder misalignment. The nickle pitted in places, but but not totally gone. I would say it is 60%. Serial number is A2XX. From what I have dug up in the short amount of time this was made in the very early 1900's. I also understand they were low priced guns, and it was purchased for the low price of $40 and a chainsaw chain. Any ideas on its mfg date or value, or lack there of?

Shooter
10-02-2010, 04:20 PM
A .38 special should not have fit in the chamber. I wouldn't do that again if I were you.:o
Value is from $50 to $200 depending on condition.

hoosierlogger
10-02-2010, 05:35 PM
A .38 special should not have fit in the chamber. I wouldn't do that again if I were you.:o
Value is from $50 to $200 depending on condition.

It was a full wadcutter that just barely stuck out of the mouth of the case. I just did it to make sure the cyl lined up correctly. I dont plan on making a habit of it.

rintinglen
10-03-2010, 12:22 AM
A .38 special should not have fit in it at all, much less stuck out the front, but they do. I have my Grandfathers old gun and I just tried it with a round of ball ammo, and it dropped right in the cylinder pretty as you please. That cylinder must have no throat at all--in fact, it doesn't. IN mine a flush-seated Wadcutter fits perfectly in the cylinder. given that most wadcutter loads are only around 10,000 psi, it should be safe to shoot a few but I wouldnever make a habit of it.
Gramps old gun has seen better days, but despite a horrible trigger (child safety--don't you know) it will shoot into a playing card at 21 feet if you can fight your way through and past the tiny sights and the heavy, gritty trigger.

hoosierlogger
10-03-2010, 08:31 AM
No throat in it at all. Just for kicks I took the cylinder off and dropped a .38 spl in from the front and it fell right in. Maybe I can load it up to .38 S&W specs and just push the boolit down the case a little farther to get the OAL of a S&W round.

Shooter
10-04-2010, 11:37 AM
Before I posted yesterday, I tried a .38 special in an old top-break S&W I have. It stopped on the counter bore. The H&A must be straight bored to speed manufacturing.