PDA

View Full Version : Things I should know but don't.

gcollins
10-01-2010, 06:10 PM
Hi Guys,
I wasn't for sure where to ask this so here goes.

I know that when you have high chamber pressures the primers will be super flat and sometimes try to back out.
What are the tell tell signs for low pressure??? Or are there any.
Can you cause damage to your rifle if the load is to light????? I realy want to try that RVO 65 powder, according to the data sheet it is a Super Slow Powder.
When reloading my 243WSSM using IMR 4350, 47 grains of it fills the case full. So I am thinking about using my 24" drop tube and filling the 243WSSM case full, it can't be to hot and it has to be low, I just didn't know what problems can happen with low chamber pressure.
I would be great full for some help.
G

wiljen
10-01-2010, 07:07 PM
Soot on the outside of the case back to the shoulder on bottle-necked or part / most of the way down straight wall cases is a sure sign of low pressure as it shows a lack of expansion to seal the chamber.

Erratic behavior out of the powder or unburnt garbage may also be a sign of low pressure.

uncle joe
10-01-2010, 07:11 PM
nothing coming out of the barrel is one sure sign. An automatic or gas operated not cycling another. just an addition to what wiljen said above

nicholst55
10-01-2010, 08:23 PM
Primers frequently back out on low pressure bottleneck rifle loads; shoot a box of Remchester 8mm Mauser if you don't believe me! This is caused by the firing pin impact actually driving the case forward (and case shoulder backwards), and the load not creating enough pressure to drive the case head back against the bolt face. This creates excessive (cartridge) headspace.

Such cases are generally trash after just a few loads, because they show signs of incipient head separation.

gcollins
10-02-2010, 09:30 AM
Thanks guys!!
I shot 3 different powders the other day and some of the cases were smugged up bad, but I didn't pay any attention to which ones!!!
Thanks again.
G

Maven
10-02-2010, 09:41 AM
"Can you cause damage to your rifle if the load is to light????? I realy want to try that RVO 65 powder, according to the data sheet it is a Super Slow Powder."

gcollins, It's possible to severely damage a rifle when using light charges of very slow powders or so it is thought. The phenomenon is known as Secondary Explosion Effect (SES) and is difficult to reproduce. Now, as to RVO-65, which is probably the same as WC 872 (I burned up 16 lbs. of RVO-62, aka WC 860*, but always in >80% loading density & LR mag. primers), you'll need almost a full case, a LR magnum primer, and possibly a jacketed bullet for the best results. It wouldn't hurt to chronograph your loads either. Moreover, watch for powder dented cases, which indicates low pressure and the need to damp swab your bbl. to remove the unburned powder. Btw, I've tried WC860 in my .243Win. and K-31's with CB's and was very disappointed with it (gobs of unburned powder & dented cases). In short, RVO-65, like RVO-62, needs magnum primers, lots of pressure, i.e., almost 100% loading density (but NOT much compresion!), as well as resistance, i.e., heavy bullets, to burn efficiently.

*RVO-65 (WC 872?) and RVO-62 (WC 860) are virtual clones of one another.

gcollins
10-02-2010, 11:21 AM
Maven, Thanks a bunch!! I came acrossed the 8lb jug of RVO 65 and have nothing else to use it in. my 243 is a WSSM and I don't have a clue what will work good in it. When I was shooting a Win 243 Ruger #1 I loaded with IMR3031 for 20 years. I have been testing the 243WSSM with the powders I have (IMR4350,IMR4064, H4831, W748) there is a lot of info out on the WSSM I just can't go buy every kind of powder there is to test with.
I am great full for your help.
G

spqrzilla
10-02-2010, 05:08 PM
Primers are a very unreliable way to gauge pressure.

The issues with detonation effects with certain slow powders in low amounts is why it is a good idea to use pressure-tested published data for a reputable source and stay in the published ranges of charges.

Maven
10-02-2010, 10:12 PM
gcollins, You're most welcome! Let us know how your rifle does with the RVO-65 loads.

wiljen
10-03-2010, 09:46 AM
SEE is fairly easy to recreate if you really do something stupid. Try about 40% case fill of IMR 4350 in a 300 Weatherby with a cool primer and a 200gr Partition.

I know this as I witnessed it yesterday. The guy was trying to create a light load to match a 30-30 from his 300 and his answer was to just keep reducing the charge of his favorite load instead of switching powders.

Upon very tough bolt lift (and this in a Mark 5) the primer fell out of the case and only the rear half extracted. I helped him take a cleaning rod and remove the other half the case. He was sure it was a fluke so did it again with exactly the same result.

I suggested he have a smith check the gun before firing anything else in it. He allowed how it was a Weatherby and was strong enough to handle it. I calmly moved to the other range as I didn't want to see what happened next.

spqrzilla
10-03-2010, 02:39 PM
Yep, wijen, I too like some distance between me and that much stupid ...

btroj
10-04-2010, 09:38 AM
Sadly Wiljen, every range has at least one guy like that. I once found odd cases on the ground. Someone had fired 300 win mag in a 300 weatherby. Would seem to me that when the first one come a out looking very different than when it went in I might stop and wonder why. Nope, found a full box of 20 of em.

These are the same guys who hold court at the gun shop or range telling people how it is. Scarey.

I try to avoid talking with idiots, it tends to make me get a headache.

RP
10-05-2010, 07:53 PM
I have to say alot of people out in the world that should not be allowed to own guns. I talked to one fellow he told me he reloaded first thing that came to mind was cool I meet someone that reloads. After talking to just a few mins found out he was dangerous and did not want to be around him. He wanted maxium loads so he just put in more powder and talked about how hard his pistol kicked and the amazing fireball out of the barrel. But he reloads were way better then anything you could buy. I told him how dangerous it was and he needed to stick more to load data specs he just blew me off and told me I was a puss. Well this guy still has all his fingers I dont know about him?