PDA

View Full Version : An "Okie breakfast"......

3006guns
10-01-2010, 08:44 AM
First of all, I didn't name it.....my now deceased father in law did and he came from Oklahoma back in the thirties. A simple, hearty dish guaranteed to raise your cholesterol to acceptable levels!

Slice Jimmy Dean sausage into patties and cook in a pan normally.

At the same time, start baking some "tube biscuits" such as Pillsbury.

When sausage is thoroughly cooked, drain off HALF the grease.

Replace the exact amount of drained grease with Half and Half cream....stir.

Remove biscuits from oven, slice and place a sausage patty on each half.

Pour gravy from pan over and eat. Caution: Delicious, but super rich.

Take your Lipitor!

oneokie
10-01-2010, 09:17 AM
First of all, I didn't name it.....my now deceased father in law did and he came from Oklahoma back in the thirties. A simple, hearty dish guaranteed to raise your cholesterol to acceptable levels!

Slice Jimmy Dean sausage into patties and cook in a pan normally.

At the same time, start baking some "tube biscuits" such as Pillsbury.

When sausage is thoroughly cooked, drain off HALF the grease.

Replace the exact amount of drained grease with Half and Half cream....stir.

Remove biscuits from oven, slice and place a sausage patty on each half.

Pour gravy from pan over and eat. Caution: Delicious, but super rich.

A meal that "will stick to your ribs".

Take your Lipitor!

Naa, just do some physical work, simplest way to get rid of the cholestrol.

Made me hungry, off to have breakfast.............

Shooter
10-01-2010, 09:51 AM
Around here we just stir-fry the sausage into crumbs, add a table spoon of flour to absorb the grease, then add milk to desired thickness.
Jimmy Dean sausage leaves an orange colored grease. They have suffered sence being sold to Sara Lee. I use Neese's.

sundog
10-01-2010, 11:22 AM
yeah, boy! biscuits and gravy!

oksmle
10-01-2010, 01:35 PM
Gravy: The #1 food in the vegetable chain....

3006guns
10-01-2010, 02:46 PM
Didn't know about the change to Jimmy Dean's......sorry to hear it. Actually, any decent sausage would work just fine.

I made this for my present father in law, a hard bitten 'ol cowboy. One bite and he was hooked. Ended up coming over for breakfast quite a bit!

dominicfortune00
10-01-2010, 08:19 PM
Love sausage gravy and biscuits!!

home in oz
10-01-2010, 08:33 PM
The further south you get, the better the biscuits and gravy get.

felix
10-01-2010, 08:42 PM
The current replacement for Jimmy Dean's original good stuff is the standard, stock sausage put up by Brahms Ice Cream company, an Oklahoma corporation. I can't tell you if there is a nickel's worth of difference, except for the much cheaper price of the Brahms. ... felix

Changeling
10-02-2010, 03:16 PM
Out here in Maryland the leading commercial sausage is "Bob Evans", The best is from a butcher shop in Jefferson Maryland called Hemps, imagine having to add a little cooking oil to fry there sausage, it's awesome and a propitiatory recipe.
Haven't heard of the Brahms brand.

Out here everyone is starting to raise Hell about "Bacon"! In less than 2 years it's gone from on sale for $2.00 per lb to changing the packages to 12 ounces and raising the price to 4 to $5.00 +!!!!!!! They're blaming it on gas prices, witch 2 years ago was 3 to $4.00 + per gallon to now where it's about $2.65 per gallon. I guess they think the average consumer has a problem with math, and they can get away wit blatant lies!!

I don't know why I just picked bacon, heck it's everything across the board, but I'm not worried because Obama is going to fix everything! I figure one more of his fixes and they will be making bacon out of us and selling it to the Hogs!

oneokie
10-02-2010, 04:09 PM
Out here everyone is starting to raise Hell about "Bacon"! In less than 2 years it's gone from on sale for $2.00 per lb to changing the packages to 12 ounces and raising the price to 4 to $5.00 +!!!!!!! They're blaming it on gas prices, witch 2 years ago was 3 to $4.00 + per gallon to now where it's about $2.65 per gallon. I guess they think the average consumer has a problem with math, and they can get away wit blatant lies!!

Think supply and demand. Hog numbers are down. Thus the supply is less, therefore the prices are higher.

home in oz
10-02-2010, 04:11 PM
I am going to have to have some biscuits and gravy-real soon!

home in oz
10-02-2010, 04:11 PM
And here I was making some progess in the Battle of the Pillsbury.

Dean D.
10-02-2010, 04:15 PM
sausage gravy over home made baking powder biscuits.... one of my all time favorites!

oneokie
10-02-2010, 04:57 PM
Hey! Y'all quit talking about southern home cooking. I just finished lunch, read these last few posts and am hungry again. Dangit

Changeling
10-02-2010, 07:14 PM
Think supply and demand. Hog numbers are down. Thus the supply is less, therefore the prices are higher.

I have thought about that, that is part of what I do for a living. It is only a case of supply and demand in an established economical environment, witch I am talking about. The people do not have the funds to afford it, but the commercial food companies don't see that, YET!

oksmle
10-02-2010, 09:12 PM
It's "Braum's" & I have a sausage biscuit there each morning. The gals split the biscuit & drop each half face down in a little grease & let them set for about 20 seconds. Then I slather one side with Braum's real butter & the other with real grape jelly. Wrap both around their sausage pattie & that is some kinda' good eatin'.
They are also one of the few places where you can order a glass of buttermilk without comments about your wierd culinary taste.

Lloyd Smale
10-03-2010, 07:30 AM
my wife cringes when i eat my two favorite colesteral bombs. One is i take shrimp and add a stick of real butter and fresh garlic and fry it till its done and pour it all over pasta. I will sit and eat a whole stick of butter for supper like that. the other is i will fry bacon and take the drippings and pour them on grits. Its one of my bad habbits i picked up down south in the service. My artorys are cracking just thinking about it. I have to agree with you about breakfast though. Biscuts and gravy are one of my favorites. I take a couple biscuts add so sausage patties or bacon, some eggs and some cheese and pour biscut gravy over it all. Some grits on the side with bacon grease and im in heaven.

pmeisel
10-03-2010, 10:21 AM
Y'all need a little of that pork fat in your system to keep your sense of humor lubricated. People who don' get enough get all sticky and stuffy.

MT Gianni
10-03-2010, 03:19 PM
Out here in Maryland the leading commercial sausage is "Bob Evans", The best is from a butcher shop in Jefferson Maryland called Hemps, imagine having to add a little cooking oil to fry there sausage, it's awesome and a propitiatory recipe.
Haven't heard of the Brahms brand.

I don't know why I just picked bacon, heck it's everything across the board, but I'm not worried because Obama is going to fix everything! I figure one more of his fixes and they will be making bacon out of us and selling it to the Hogs!

The price of corn went up dramatically due to ethanol use. Corn and barley are the most common hog feeds.

Changeling
10-03-2010, 07:07 PM
The price of corn went up dramatically due to ethanol use. Corn and barley are the most common hog feeds.

I know exactly what you are saying, trust me!

Now stop and think for a minute, Corn and Barley have always been #1 in feeding/fattening hogs, now figure out the cost/% of increase in this. Do you think that yesterdays hog ate more to get to 200 lbs than todays hog? Do you think it costs 30 to 40 % more to get the hog there, thats what the increase is but it dam sure doesn't go down to the farmer, jut get out and talk to some of them and see what % there income has increased .
The supermarkets (an example of a LOT) are using a new technique called price forward projections, this is a term I developed to figure out what they are doing, this is very easy with the cheap computer power available today.
If Harry homeowner buys a can corn and then you buy a can that projects a forward interest and the price will be raised! Of course corn is just an example! Not hard to do if you grocery shop to figure out/see for yourself. If you think for one second they care about you, dream on!!

Think about it !

MT Gianni
10-04-2010, 10:29 AM
I hear ya Changeling. The price of soda went up a while back because of corn syrup costs and the price of diet rose just the same.

Shooter
10-04-2010, 12:00 PM
And here I was making some progess in the Battle of the Pillsbury.

I gets hard when the weather turns cool. I've blown my diet 3 times in 3 weeks.:groner:

The Dove
10-07-2010, 02:31 PM
Blue and Gold sausage is the best!!!!

The Dove

MoldyJoe
11-15-2010, 04:54 AM
Great thread on a staple food group. The Air Force Base restaurant back home has a great item on the menu. Super size biscuit on the bottom. hashbrowns piled on top of that. Crumble 4-5 strips of bacon on top of that then cover the whole thing in sausage gravy with 2 fried eggs and salsa on top. That a great military breakfast! Joe

Idaho_Elk_Huntr
11-15-2010, 11:34 AM
Around here we just stir-fry the sausage into crumbs, add a table spoon of flour to absorb the grease, then add milk to desired thickness.
Jimmy Dean sausage leaves an orange colored grease. They have suffered sence being sold to Sara Lee. I use Neese's.

Winn Dixie brand sausage had Jimmy Dean beat IMO

PineTreeGreen
12-16-2010, 07:14 PM
Emeril says "pork fat rules"

Shooter
12-20-2010, 02:52 PM
Winn Dixie brand sausage had Jimmy Dean beat IMO

Our Winn Dixie closed, and we're in Dixie.

P.S Farmville is just East of Lynchburg and West of Petersburg on US 460.:bigsmyl2: