PDA

View Full Version : NON-gascheck 44mag boolit

chickenstripe
10-01-2010, 07:46 AM
Not sure where to post this......

I'm looking for a non-gascheck 44mag boolit that will be used for general boolit duty (hunting, plinking, etc.).
- needs to be a non-gas check design or a GC design that is accurate without using gaschecks
- Needs to feed in a 44 mag levergun
- Must be reasonably accurate in a Ruger Blackhawk and Marlin Levergun
- Maximum hunting requirements would be whitetail to 100yds.

I do like the "sledgehammer" looks of the Lee 310gr Flat nose, but it's a GC design, and I'm hesitant to buy an aluminum mold.
Concerned about OAL and SWC designs "hanging up" in a marlin lever gun.

Firebricker
10-01-2010, 07:54 AM
Normally Lyman 429421 would be my first selection but since your going to be loading for a lever gun that might not work well not sure. I have used 429421 in my Marlin .444 with no problem's but never in .44 mag. I would try Ranch Dog all his design's are proven effective in lever guns. Good luck in your search. FB

btroj
10-01-2010, 08:00 AM
Why no gas check? The 310 Lee is a great bullet.
Don't set arbitrary limits that may hiner your ability to achieve what you want. Lee moulds are fine. They cast good bullets. Gas checks do add a small expense but not that much.
I would say this- decide what you want to accomplish then look at all reasonable choices with limitations. The best choices sadly will all have gas checks, unless you want a low velocity loading.

I know this does not answer your question but I ask you to reconsider your limits.

Brad

Blammer
10-01-2010, 08:01 AM
Here are a few to look at.

Several I think would work well for you.

The Lyman 429667 will probably be a good go to boolit.

I also think you may want to look for some of the group buys that NOE is finishing up and will be posting extras on. Several of them will fit the bill for you very nicely.

http://i54.photobucket.com/albums/g81/blammer8mm/Cast%20boolits/44list-1.jpg

winelover
10-01-2010, 08:50 AM
For a non gaschecked, plain base, look at the Lyman 429667 Cowboy mould. Cycles in my Marlin carbine without a hitch. However, be advised that Marlins like fat boolets so you might have to "beagle" or lap out the mould to increase the diameter for accuracy. Another choice woud be the NOE 432265 "group-buy" that was designed to throw a .432 slug for Marlin levers. Available as plain base, gas checked and or hollow point. Last I saw there was still some available. If you tumble lube, Ranch Dog's original version of this boolet might be available again, since they are back in business.

Winelover:castmine:

44man
10-01-2010, 08:50 AM
Not sure where to post this......

I'm looking for a non-gascheck 44mag boolit that will be used for general boolit duty (hunting, plinking, etc.).
- needs to be a non-gas check design or a GC design that is accurate without using gaschecks
- Needs to feed in a 44 mag levergun
- Must be reasonably accurate in a Ruger Blackhawk and Marlin Levergun
- Maximum hunting requirements would be whitetail to 100yds.

I do like the "sledgehammer" looks of the Lee 310gr Flat nose, but it's a GC design, and I'm hesitant to buy an aluminum mold.
Concerned about OAL and SWC designs "hanging up" in a marlin lever gun.
Blammer has a nice lineup there! :drinks:
But do not fear aluminum molds and Lee molds will make great boolits.
No, you don't need a GC boolit but the Lee 310 is a good one. Your biggest problem will be the twist of a .44 rifle, seems as there was one gremlin that sneaked into all gun makers offices! :coffeecom

AZ-Stew
10-01-2010, 04:39 PM
I can't speak for a Marlin, but the Lyman 452424 Keith-style boolit cycles just fine in my Wichester M-94, and it has a larger meplat than does the 429421 .44 Keith.

As 44man says, aluminum moulds are nothing to fear.

Regards,

Stew

geargnasher
10-01-2010, 04:55 PM
Blammer has a nice lineup there! :drinks:
But do not fear aluminum molds and Lee molds will make great boolits.
No, you don't need a GC boolit but the Lee 310 is a good one. Your biggest problem will be the twist of a .44 rifle, seems as there was one gremlin that sneaked into all gun makers offices! :coffeecom

Jim, you feelin' OK? Got a fever? I never thought I'd see you recommend a Lee mould :kidding:

FWIW I tend to agree, once you get the "Leementing" out of the way they work great.

Gear

rhead
10-01-2010, 06:15 PM
The Lyman 429-421 feeds fine and is accurate in my Winchester mod. 94. Try a few before you buy the mold. I have not had any more problems wit Lee molds than with Lyman. The Lee 310 shoots well in my Winchester but will not feed reliably unless seated to the second crimp groove. The Keith bullet shoots great from my super blackhawk. Try to test any boolit design before buying the mold. Is the 200 grain little brother of the Lee 310 gc too light for your uses?

44man
10-02-2010, 08:39 AM
Jim, you feelin' OK? Got a fever? I never thought I'd see you recommend a Lee mould :kidding:

FWIW I tend to agree, once you get the "Leementing" out of the way they work great.

Gear
:mrgreen: Always did! I have a bunch of them and only had to return two over the years for being too small. Had to fix a few now and then but you sure can't beat the price.

Dipperman
10-02-2010, 04:29 PM
I too have been looking for a hunting boolit for an 1894 Marlin in .44 Mag. I have tried every SWC (Keith style) .44 boolit (both cast by friends and commercial) that I have been able to get my hands on and none would feed no matter what I tried.

So I have been considering the Lyman 429667. I do have a couple of questions for anyone who has used the 429667.

1. Is the 429667 reasonably effective on game, say up to whitetails or maybe mule deer at woods ranges (100 yards max)?

2. According to my Lyman Reloading Handbook 49th Edition, they show velocities up to 1700+ FPS from a rifle with the 429667. Are they being realistic with these velocities?

Many thanks in advance to all who reply.

Dipperman

Blammer
10-02-2010, 06:08 PM
I have used a 429667 clone, (the 3 crimp groove one above in the pic) on Deer and it works very well. I also get very good groups with it out to 100yds in my RSRH 7.5" 44mag.

I would recommend that one for deer.

AZ-Stew
10-02-2010, 06:10 PM
Cast soft enough, it will act like a muzzle loader bullet and expand pretty well. When hunting, it doesn't matter too much if you get some leading. You'll only be firing a shot or two. If you start with a clean barrel, you'll never notice the effects of whatever little leading you get. ANY bullet driven through both lungs of a deer will result in venison on the table.

That said, a boolit of that weight at the speed you aspire to (1,700 fps) fired from a light lever carbine will get your attention. I have a Remington M-788 bolt gun in .44 Magnum, and I'm always surprised at how much recoil I get from it. Mind you, I'm not recoil sensitive, but that rifle has more push-back than you'd expect, considering its weight.

Regards,

Stew

Lloyd Smale
10-03-2010, 06:36 AM
finding a 44 mag bullet that will function in a lever gun is probably going to be easier then finding one that gives real good accuracy. At rifle velocitys finding a bullet that is accurate and doesnt lead is a fine ballance between design, alloy and size. Anymore i dont even fool with leverguns and plain based bullets except for plinking bullet and bullets for pounding steal where accuracy isnt a big concern. The cost of gas checks is trivial compared to there advantages. By the time a guy burns a couple jugs of powder and primers experimenting trying to find that majic load it would have been cheaper just to use a gas check design. I dont know that i even have a sixgun that doesnt do its best with a gas checked design. I use alot of plain based bullets for plinking but when im working up serious hunting loads 9 times out of 10 its with a gas checked bullet. Another problem is most of the plain based swcs are to long for a marlin. If your serious about it you might contact veral smith and have him make you a short nosed lfn. But then again the 100 bucks or more for that mold will buy alot of gas checks.

happy7
10-03-2010, 10:36 AM
Saeco mold numbers 428, 429, and 430 would appear to meet your requirements.

jlchucker
10-03-2010, 10:50 AM
How are the 429667 molds casting these days? I've got some locally commercial cast ones that work well in my EMF Hartford rifle, but want to cast my own for this gun. I've read a few threads where Lyman molds made lately have been dropping undersized boolits. That company is a hard one to get ahold of with questions/complaints, I've found. Has anybody tried boolits from a new 429667 lately? What's been your experience with the as-cast diameter?

white eagle
10-05-2010, 10:30 AM
mountain man Dan
mountain molds
I got a 300 gr p/b 75% meplat sensible Keith boolit from him that is awesome
I like his online set up you can design a semi custom boolit of your liking

twotrees
10-05-2010, 11:37 AM
I tried the Lyman 429421 and it would shoot very well at 100 yards, But it would not feed. Single load only.

The load was the same in my Super Blackhawk 21 grains of "Old" 2400.

Before I sold the Marlin ( Bad move on my part) 2 ladies at deer camp used it to take their first deer.

I was thinking about modifying the Marlin to get it to feed, and in hind site that is what I should have done.

Good luck in your search.

Rugg_Ed
10-08-2010, 10:35 PM
I have used a vary old Lyman #429360 Kieth Style and the #429640 with no problem in both lever and revolvers. A soft lead boolit would work well for a hunting round.
Best Wishes
Rugg

HeavyMetal
10-09-2010, 09:51 PM
Buy a Lee two cavity 310 mold and have the GC protion cut off!

This leaves you with a 295 grain plain base boolit that should feed just fine.

Best part is it won't be expensive! I did mine on my mill because the GC shank was to big to get a GC on!