PDA

View Full Version : HOW new Barrel on a 30-30

Deacon Stone
09-30-2010, 08:47 PM
Whats it take to put a new barrel on a Winchester 30-30. I have the new barrel and it screws in but needs about another 1/4 of a turn to be straight up. I want to learn and thats what I'm playing with to see what it take. I guess I need a lathe maybe?
And then theres the proper head space.

Beginner at somethings. But very mechanically inclined.
Thanks Deacon Stone

John Taylor
09-30-2010, 09:15 PM
You might be able to go that 1/4 turn with a good barrel vice.
http://i95.photobucket.com/albums/l132/johnptaylor/barrelvicewithVblock.jpg

Charlie Sometimes
10-02-2010, 11:02 PM
I haven't done a lot of barrel swapping, but have removed a few in my day, and reinstalled them on various centerfires. From my observations, I agree with John. That might be the limit of the barrel vise and wrench method before you need a machinist- depending on just how big a boy you are, and how long your cheater wrench is! A solid vise and HD wrench is critical, and it appears John has one! :grin:

I gotta build one like that! :bigsmyl2:

You can rent go/ no-go gauges to check your work.

lathesmith
10-03-2010, 11:08 AM
You might be able to go that 1/4 turn with a good barrel vice.

Holy Cow John, now THAT'S a barrel vise!

lathesmith

John Taylor
10-03-2010, 11:18 AM
I saw another gunsmith had one with a 7 ton jack so I went with a 20 ton. Got to be real careful on some of the old guns, you can end up with a tight spot in the bore. Aluminum blocks are machined to fit the taper of the barrel and sometimes I wrap a layer of paper around the barrel to keep from leaving marks on the blue. Some of the old guns that have been together for over 100 years require a little heat to get the barrel off.
The action wrench made from 4140 annealed steel plate.
http://i95.photobucket.com/albums/l132/johnptaylor/actionwrenchbreachplug.jpg

atr
10-03-2010, 11:18 AM
Outstanding barrel vise !!!!

lathesmith
10-03-2010, 10:28 PM
If that rig won't break 'em loose, nothing will! Very nice!

lathesmith

Faust
10-06-2010, 03:22 AM
I would relieve the barrel shoulder before I'd go 1/4 turn!

JFrench
10-06-2010, 07:10 AM
Deacon Stone
We use a high pressure grease on the barrel threads and the barrel shoulder. Tighten and loosen several times helps seat the threads. Do not over do or the receiver can twist. A heavy duty vise and wrench helps.
James