PDA

View Full Version : lee classic cast press question

jballs918
09-17-2006, 08:44 PM
ok guys i have read that you have to make a small mod to the press if you run the rcbs swager die on this. i was wondering if anyone has any idea how to do this since i have never used either one of them. but i know that i need a stronger press then what i got now. i have a lee o press. thanks guys

versifier
09-17-2006, 10:08 PM
I'm not sure what kind of modification on your Lee press would be needed, but I would suggest a press with a lot more leverage like a Rockchucker, Boss, OMag, or other heavy cast O frame press for that kind of work. It does look like an interesting tool, though, and not very expensive. I have the Lyman cutter thingy that mounts on their case trimmer or crank that reams instead of swages and also chamfers/deburrs for about the same price. I wouldn't want to be running thousands of cases through it, but for twenty to fifty at a time I put up with it for many years. A friend has one of the Dillon units and I can use it now when I need to, that is the easiest way I have found so far, but you have to decide if it is worth the $80 investment. It wasn't to me, but was to my friend who buys his cases by the thousands, and I am grateful to have the use of it every few months when I need to run a handful through it.

mooman76
09-17-2006, 10:15 PM
I just got a Lee Classic Cast and it is very heavy duty. If you break this unit you got to be the strongest man in the world or something. I can't imagine what kind of modification you would have to do if it is made for a press it should work. And they are on sale at Midway right now for $60.

DaveInFloweryBranchGA
09-17-2006, 10:25 PM
I'm not sure what kind of modification on your Lee press would be needed, but I would suggest a press with a lot more leverage like a Rockchucker, Boss, OMag, or other heavy cast O frame press for that kind of work.

Having owned a Rock Chucker and now owning a Lee Classic cast (Well, I did until my son took it with him.), I can inform you with all honesty it's just as heavy duty as a Rock Chucker and is a more modern design with features the RC doesn't have, such as better spent primer handling. I'm not sure what you'd need to do to handle the RCBS swager, but I'd be real shocked if any had to be made. Where did you get the information that some mod had to be made?

jballs918
09-17-2006, 10:57 PM
hey guys its not that its the press im worried about let me pull something up so you all can read this and understand what i mean. i found this one midway review

Like many others have said, this press can basically do it all! Its built to last for years. The onlt reason i gave it 4 stars is because i have an rcbs pocket swagger(military crimp remover tool).It fit on my old lee press, but it wont function properly in the new lee clasic press(on the down stroke to release shell holder sleeve) which wont release the brass from the pocket swager. Other than that no complaints. I machined a proper sized cup to fit the presses ram and now the tool works perfectly-seems to me lee or rcbs can make an adaptor like i did,and create more sells!

as i said im not sure how the swager die works. anyone run into this yet.

454PB
09-17-2006, 11:07 PM
The RCBS primer pocket swager requires than a collar be slipped over the press ram that serves as a spacer to pop the casing off of the swage. Since the Lee Classic has a larger ram than the RCBS, that collar won't fit....it's too small in diameter. I think it could be overcome by fabricating a larger collar.

jballs918
09-17-2006, 11:17 PM
hhmmm ok i dont have the tools to make one. so that means i will have to figure out something then. becuase if i cant figure out the problem then it will do me no good

454PB
09-18-2006, 12:33 AM
I think the Lee press has a 1 1/4" ram, so something as simple as a piece of 1 1/4" EMT about 1" long would work. It doesn't have to be anything fancy, as long as it's cut relatively straight and the burrs filed off.

The swage tool fits in the shellholder, the collar fits over the ram, and then there is a concave round piece that fits over the swage. The ram is raised and the primer crimp removed as the swage enters the primer pocket. The brass case sticks on the swage, and as the ram is lowered, the concave piece meets the collar, and the case is pushed off of the swage.

Four Fingers of Death
09-18-2006, 08:34 AM
I have an RCBS Rockchucker and a swager set which I trot out every now and then and after dancing around with it for awhile, I put it back and use a deburring tool or countersink cutter. Mick.

The new Lee is a big mother and is also steel, not aluminium.

D.Mack
09-18-2006, 11:41 AM
Jballs I may have misexplained last night. Try turning the cap upside down, and surrounding the ram with a stack of large washers. Not the best solution, but a workable one till some one starts to make a proper cap. when you remove the shell you will have to be careful not to knock the cap off, but you will be in business. DM

Sixgun Symphony
09-18-2006, 07:20 PM
hhmmm ok i dont have the tools to make one. so that means i will have to figure out something then. becuase if i cant figure out the problem then it will do me no good

You can check Ebay for a used RCBS press. Also check the gunshows, pawnshops, and local garage sales.

Used ones don't cost much.

Swagerman
09-18-2006, 08:38 PM
This is the long shellholder for the Lee Classic cast press.

It has been modified to perform a shorter top out stroke for the ram and shellholder...of about 1/2 inch. This shellholder had been cut and lathe turned to acheve shortness.

Thus, allowing me to swage lead bullets, not primer pockets. Hope this doesn't confuse the issue.

Jim

http://i42.photobucket.com/albums/e321/44and45/PC050005.jpg

http://i42.photobucket.com/albums/e321/44and45/PB250002.jpg

DaveInFloweryBranchGA
09-18-2006, 10:12 PM
I think you'd be better off with another solution than an RCBS swager die. It works, but there are other solutions that are just as good to perform that task. I wouldn't sweat doing it on your reloading press. I used the Dillon version, didn't like how the swager treated my brass and ended up switching to an RCBS trim station that I use to trim away the little bit of brass to open up the primer pocket on milsurp brass with.

Dave