PDA

View Full Version : Hollywood Sr novice question

Wayne Smith
09-30-2010, 08:03 PM
I just received a Hollywood Sr. press (Thank You again, Scott!) and unpacked it. I immediately wondered about the purpose of the threaded hole in the top that opens into the center of the upright? It's clear that the die goes in the hole on the shelf because the shell holder is centered under that one.

ReloaderFred
09-30-2010, 08:28 PM
I"ve got one that has been in continous use since I bought it used in 1963. You have one great press there.

The extra hole is for storing the die that isn't being used, since when these presses were made, most die sets were two dies. It just provided a place to keep that die until you need it.

Hope this helps.

Fred

Wayne Smith
09-30-2010, 09:57 PM
Thanks, Fred. Not a bad idea, actually.

ReloaderFred
09-30-2010, 10:32 PM
Wayne,

To make your Hollywood press operate as smooth as possible, clean the trunk of the bearing surface real well and use RemOil on it. The very thin oil will make it operate as smooth as glass. Also lubricate all the pivot points on the arms.

If you don't have one, C-H makes an adapter that will make it possible to use RCBS, Lyman, Hornady, Redding, etc. shellholders on the Hollywood press. I'm told that RCBS also makes one, but I've never seen one.

Hope this helps.

Fred

STP22
10-01-2010, 08:39 AM
Wayne,

Your welcome!

I know you`ll never wear it out:mrgreen:

Scott

Wayne Smith
10-01-2010, 02:03 PM
Got the CH Universal shell holder and have it mounted. Are the primer arms the same as the Lyman TrueLine or different? I believe CH makes them.

ReloaderFred
10-01-2010, 04:07 PM
I've only used the Hollywood primer arms on my press, so I don't know if any other brand would work, but I doubt it. They're rather unique in their design. I've seen them on some of the auction sites, but they go for large money. There is a company making the Hollywood press, but I've heard they're very slow to ship their products, and kind of pricey, but you might do a search and see if you can locate them. It seems they were located somewhere in Southern California.

Hope this helps.

Fred

Kevin Rohrer
10-02-2010, 01:03 AM
1. Disregard Hollywood Engineering unless you can go there and swap money for what you want.

2. CH is: www.ch4d.com for your shellholder. It is $10.37.

3. I don't know if they make a primer arm for the Senior, but would be interested in hearing if they do or not. If you email Dave (the owner), he will respond in a day or so.

Another Happy Senior Owner

Pressman
10-02-2010, 08:30 AM
The top hole is required for the lathe turning process. For those who don't one the Senior is a one piece casting with the center post machined round. The top, bottom and post are all one unit. The first presses have only a small hole, often fitted with a "plug". Later presses have the hole threaded 7/7-14 tpi, as Fred indicates it makes a great place to store an extra rifle die.
Ken

Wayne Smith
10-02-2010, 03:36 PM
Thanks for that tidbit, Ken. I hadn't realized it was all one piece.

Kevin, an e-mail is off to Dave. I've had several dealings with him in the past.

Wayne Smith
10-04-2010, 08:05 AM
Dave answered. He stated that Hollywood made so many different primer arms that they didn't know which fit which press. Their instructions were to send the old one to them for replacement!

He also said that they had work backed up until May! Business is good in the reloading field, I guess.

Kevin Rohrer
10-04-2010, 05:05 PM
Dave answered.

He also said that they had work backed up until May! Business is good in the reloading field, I guess.

I was there talking to him a couple weeks ago. Yes, he has plenty of work, in fact, too much for the two of them to do. Unfortunately, due to our current Prez wanting to give away the farm while expecting those who work to pay for the health costs of those who don't, he is refusing to hire more help due to not being able to afford the required health care.