PDA

View Full Version : What is the best brass int his list?

Silent
09-30-2010, 07:26 PM
I have the opportunity to pick up some once fired brass locally at $18/500. I've been using Starline, and am very happy with them, however they are over 3x the price new. Which brass is the better deal? I'd rather not do the nickle as I've heard it's hard on the reloading dies.

9mm cases
Blazer - 9 available (Mfg. by CCI)
CBC - 1 available
CCI - 1 available
FED - 1 available
Mixed - 3 available
PMC - 4 available
R - P - 4 available
WIN Nickel- 1 available

UNIQUEDOT
09-30-2010, 07:38 PM
I have the opportunity to pick up some once fired brass locally at $18/500. I've been using Starline, and am very happy with them, however they are over 3x the price new. Which brass is the better deal? I'd rather not do the nickle as I've heard it's hard on the reloading dies.

9mm cases
Blazer - 9 available (Mfg. by CCI)
CBC - 1 available
CCI - 1 available
FED - 1 available
Mixed - 3 available
PMC - 4 available
R - P - 4 available
WIN Nickel- 1 available

Don't buy the pmc! Stay away from nickel! The rest should be fine making sure of course that the blazer is brass. My personal pick would be the Federal and Remington.

Johnch
09-30-2010, 11:22 PM

9mm cases
Blazer - 9 available (Mfg. by CCI) , if the AL cases unloadable
But the Blazer with brass cases is good reloading brass
CBC - 1 available
CCI - 1 available
FED - 1 available
Mixed - 3 available
PMC - 4 available
R - P - 4 available
WIN Nickel- 1 available

I also have had problems with PMC brass with non centered flash holes

But I have to say $36 a K for 9mm isn't real cheap for 1X fired brass
Far form the worst price I have seen lately
But if there isn't any shipping
It might be a decent price

John

buck1
10-01-2010, 12:55 AM
+3 on PMC

Silent
10-01-2010, 02:39 AM
The brass is about 23 miles away, and I'll pick up local. No tax or shipping.

Since I'm going to fire it anyway, what's the real difference between new and once fired? It's already been cleaned, but I'll run it through the tumbler again anyway.

He also has brass for 30-30 $5/20 boxed. Cheapest I can find loaded rounds around here is $20/20 tho I've seen $40/20

I have a few rounds of Blazer that I've picked up from the range, and it seems to be good brass. I've also reloaded a few PMC since that's what I shoot as factory loads, and they seem to have held up ok so far. I haven't pushed them to hard tho.

I'm real new to reloading, but my thoughts are 1k 9mm brass, and 100 30-30 for $66.

Thoughts?

RKJ
10-01-2010, 06:53 AM
I've had problems with Blazer Brass having the primer hole too tight and not letting the primer insert smoothly. It hasn't been all of it but enough that it was very annoying. This was once fired (by me) .45 ACP with large primers. I like Remington brass best of all, but have had no problems with Winchester or Federal.

cajun shooter
10-01-2010, 12:15 PM
There is not a thing wrong with nickel brass. It is true that because of the plating the brass is brittle and will not stand up to as many firings. I have nickel brass in many different calibers and have some loaded as many as 10 times. I first loaded in 1969 and the rumors were the same about the nickle brass. The difference is that I would see nickel 38 spl split the necks on one firing. That has not been the case in the last 10 years or so.

noylj
10-01-2010, 06:10 PM
1) Sooner or later, nickel will flake off and embed in the sizing die and it will put "racing stripes" in your brass. It also fails quicker.
2) The "problem" with once fired brass is whether it actually is once fired. The brass has been shot in someone else's gun and it could be slightly bulged. You just don't KNOW the history of the brass.
3) One common "problem" with 9x19 brass is that some/most may be military and you will have to swage the primer pockets to eliminate the primer crimp.
4) I prefer Win and R.P. brass.

1hole
10-01-2010, 09:10 PM
You gonna drive 46 miles to pick up 24 rounds of mixed head stamp 9mm and pay for it too? :groner:

Silent
10-01-2010, 10:31 PM
You gonna drive 46 miles to pick up 24 rounds of mixed head stamp 9mm and pay for it too? :groner:

Those are bags of 500 each.

I think I'll just stick to new Starline brass. At least that's a known quantity. Even new brass works out to $.08 a round. Reload it 8 times and it's $.01 a round for brass.

spqrzilla
10-03-2010, 10:51 PM
You can't go wrong with Starline.

From your list, I'd skip the CBC, the Blazer, the PMC and the Federal.