PDA

View Full Version : Really strange question, waaaay OT

Bret4207
09-17-2006, 08:08 PM
Ok, this is driving me nuts. Someone mentioned Jim Neighbors the other day. You know- Gomer Pyle. I remember him having a variety show, probably on CBS, in the late 60's/early 70's. Would have run concurrent with Carol Burnett ( Geeze I loved that show! That was funny stuff) Any way, here's the part thats driving me nuts. Ol' Light in the loafers Jim opened every show singing a song that went something like " Many long nights , have I waited...." Whats the song????? Why do I care? I don't know, but the little voices in my head insist I find out. HELP!

C1PNR
09-17-2006, 08:57 PM
I haven't got a clue!! But I did like his singing voice, and he was pretty good on Andy's show. I just had a REAL problem with his Gomer role.:???:

Don't know why, maybe 4 years active and 2 years waiting for a call-up (in the 60s) had something to do with it.[smilie=1:

Only TV program in that same vein I liked was Phil Silvers as Sergeant Bilko. :drinks:

NVcurmudgeon
09-17-2006, 10:03 PM
Bret, "Tomorrow Never Comes," sung by Elvis and also by Ernest Tubb. It may be little remembered, but Nabors could sing pretty well. I frequently am trying to remember the lyrics to some old song, and almost always find it by typing the title, or even any line I remember, plus the word "lyrics" into Google search. That's how I found your song.

waksupi
09-17-2006, 10:26 PM
Ok, this is driving me nuts. Someone mentioned Jim Neighbors the other day. You know- Gomer Pyle. I remember him having a variety show, probably on CBS, in the late 60's/early 70's. Would have run concurrent with Carol Burnett ( Geeze I loved that show! That was funny stuff) Any way, here's the part thats driving me nuts. Ol' Light in the loafers Jim opened every show singing a song that went something like " Many long nights , have I waited...." Whats the song????? Why do I care? I don't know, but the little voices in my head insist I find out. HELP!

Brett, I hate it when I get a song like that stuck in my head. Let me try to help you out.

Hot dogs, Armour hot dogs, what kind of kids eat Armour hotdogs? Fat kids, skinny kids, kids that climb on rocks, short kids, tall kids, even kids with chicken pox....

And if that doesn't do it, try this:
My baloney has a first name, it's O-S-C-A- R, my baloney has a secound name, it's M-E-Y-E-R....

Let's see now, what was the Cracker Jack song? Or to really abuse you, get this one stuck in your head;

yummy,yummy,yummy, I got love in my tummy, and I feel like loving you...

Glad to have been of help...

StarMetal
09-17-2006, 10:34 PM
Ric,

Love In My Tummy was done by the Ohio Express and I believe the Crackerjack song was Take Me Out To The Ball Game....and it was immortalized with the third line, "Buy me some peanuts and Cracker Jack."

Joe

waksupi
09-17-2006, 10:40 PM
Ric,

Love In My Tummy was done by the Ohio Express and I believe the Crackerjack song was Take Me Out To The Ball Game....and it was immortalized with the third line, "Buy me some peanuts and Cracker Jack."

Joe

...candy coated popcorn, peanuts and a prize, that's what you get in Cracker Jacks...

versifier
09-17-2006, 10:49 PM
AAAAARRRRRRGGGGGHHHHH! There, that feels better. The very worst song to get stuck in your head is the (unfortunately) immortal "You Picked A Fine Time To Leave Me Lucille", sung just flat enough to make every hair on your neck stand straight up and make you pray for immediate nerve deafness - but then you still can't get it out of your head. :confused: God will get even with whoever wrote that one.

StarMetal
09-17-2006, 10:55 PM
Versifier, that Lucille song was by Billy Currington.

Joe

StarMetal
09-17-2006, 10:58 PM
Ric,

The lyrics for the theme song went something like, What do you want when you gotta have something and it's gotta be sweet, AND IT'S GOTTA BE A LOT, and ya only have a dime. Whadya get?... Cracker Jacks! Candy coated popcorn, peanuts and a prize... that's what you get in Cracker Jacks!"

Joe

454PB
09-17-2006, 11:01 PM
I thought it was Kenny Rogers.....

"four hundred children and that crap in the field"...

StarMetal
09-17-2006, 11:05 PM
Kenny sang it, but Billy wrote it.

Joe

357tex
09-18-2006, 12:07 AM
This thread should come with a warning.Thanks to Waksupi for the first time, I wish I had never clicked on a thread here.
I don't even like hotdogs.[smilie=1:

KCSO
09-18-2006, 09:35 AM
And Lucile was first popularized by Mel Tillis and was originaly about the Korean war, according to Mel.

Bret4207
09-18-2006, 02:54 PM
Thanks guys, I have the same song by Ernest Tubb, can't picture Jimbo singing it. I supose I'll have to hunt up a copy on Ebay or the library and listen. At least the voices in my head are satisfied.

Judging by the responses here I 'd say I'm safe in admiting I also enjoy Ed Ames, Journey, Roger Whitaker, Chris Issack, Jim Ed Brown, Charley Pride and k.d.lang. Eclectic? Oh yes!

Montanan
09-18-2006, 03:18 PM
TOMORROW NEVER COMES
(Ernest Tubb / Johnny Bond)

Ernest Tubb - 1947

Also recorded by : Lynn Anderson; Johnny Bond; Sonny Burgess;
Glen Campbell; Little Jimmy Dickens; George Jones;
Sleepy LaBeef; Charles Mann; Skeets McDonald; Jim Nabors;
Osborne Brothers; Billy Parker; Elvis Presley;
The Statler Brothers; B.J. Thomas; Wesley Tuttle;
Kitty Wells; Dottie West; Slim Whitman.

Oh, you tell me that you love me
Yes, you tell me that you care
That tomorrow we'll be married
But tomorrow's never there.

CHORUS
Oh, Tomorrow Never Comes
No, Tomorrow Never Comes
Now you tell me that you love me
But Tomorrow Never Comes.

Instrumentals

Many weeks now have I waited
Many long nights have I cried
Just to see that happy morning
When I'd have you by my side.

CHORUS
Oh, Tomorrow Never Comes
No, Tomorrow Never Comes

Instrumentals

So tomorrow I'll be leaving
Yes, tomorrow I'll be gone
And tomorrow you'll be weeping

CHORUS
Oh, Tomorrow Never Comes
No, Tomorrow Never Comes

:coffee:

Junior1942
09-18-2006, 03:35 PM
Only TV program in that same vein I liked was Phil Silvers as Sergeant Bilko. :drinks:
Man, I ,loved that show!!

fourarmed
09-18-2006, 04:12 PM
It's called an "Ear Worm."

Bret4207
09-18-2006, 05:17 PM
I thought ear worms were those tropical worms that snuck into your ear while you slept and laid eggs in your ear and the larva ate your brains. Ok, so I watched Night Stalker and Tales from the Crypt too.

Thanks to all.

flhroy
09-18-2006, 05:52 PM
Mchales Navy was pretty good too I thought. My all time favorite though was The Red Skeleton Show. That one would bring tears to my eyes from laughing soo hard.

Bret4207
09-18-2006, 07:55 PM
Bought my wife 2 big DVD collection of the Red Skelton show. She loves 'em and so does my 14 yoa foster son. Good stuff.

Carol Burnett with Harvey Korman and Tim Conway was my favorite. Also Hogans Heros, Emergency!, Hawaii Five-0, Cannon, Beverly Hillbillys, Andy Griffith, etc. Goos stuff back then. Still get reruns of Lawrence Welk on PBS and it takes me back to Saturday evenings with my grandmother. Were Lawrence found that many peach polyester suits and plastic hair is beyond me.

Oh yeah- The Tommy Hunter show came out of Canada. Gotta mention that.

walltube
09-18-2006, 10:16 PM
Fibber McGee & Molly, Amos & Andy, Jack Benny, The Great Guildersleeve, Henry Aldrich, Mr. & Mrs. North, The Green Hornet, Gang Busters, The Inner Sanctum..... All without benefit of the cathode ray tube.

Gee wilikers, that Zenith radio, what a beautiful piece of furniture it was.

O.K., you Geezers, name the show with this intro: "Who knows what evil lurks in the heart of men? T** S***** knows!"

W'tube

flhroy
09-18-2006, 10:45 PM
Only the shadow Knows.

wills
09-18-2006, 11:06 PM
http://www.tvdvdplanet.com/movie/comedy/phil_silvers.html?gclid=CNPHiJ7cuIcCFTrAJAod5wpsJg

walltube
09-18-2006, 11:35 PM
is the Winnah! Great stuff wasn't it?

Wills, thanks for the link.

What fun it is for me to answer my G'childern's questions of 'my day' when commercial TV was non-existant. I tell them we had to listen to our radios in black and white. All our automobiles where black or white colored. Don't believe me?? Take a look at the movies of the day.

Now I have this Gateway laptop with a Sprint card. Plays DVDs too. :)

W'tube

Four Fingers of Death
09-19-2006, 12:41 AM
I saw Jim Nabours walking through Potts Point (near Kings Cross in Sydney) when I was selling soft drinks of the back of a truck in what seems like a previous life. I said 'Gooooleeeeeeeee!' He swung around with a broad smile on his face and jumped up on the back of the truck where I was and we yakked for awhile. Seemed like a really nice guy. Loved the gunnery/drill sargent, can't remember what his name was.

My son used to hum catchy tunes in checkout queques at the supermarket and leave people humming as they walked off. He was a sick child!

Tpr Brett, hows it panning out with the foster child? You posted a thread about it a few months ago.

Mick.

Bret4207
09-19-2006, 07:02 PM
Mick- There are good days and bad days. Over all I think they are doing fine, especially the 3+4 year olds. The 14 yoa boy is fine. The 11 yoa girl.... well, she's got some issues. The biggest issue is a matter of time for everything. It's tough sometimes.

Newtire
09-19-2006, 10:10 PM
Mchales Navy was pretty good too I thought. My all time favorite though was The Red Skeleton Show. That one would bring tears to my eyes from laughing soo hard.

That's the main reason I joined the navy inthe first place. Now Vietnam and those PBR's weren't like mcHale's PT73. Good thing I found out about the real boat Navy before I did something dumb like volunteer. Spent my Navy days on Tenders.

Newtire
09-19-2006, 10:11 PM
I saw Jim Nabours walking through Potts Point (near Kings Cross in Sydney) when I was selling soft drinks of the back of a truck in what seems like a previous life. I said 'Gooooleeeeeeeee!' He swung around with a broad smile on his face and jumped up on the back of the truck where I was and we yakked for awhile. Seemed like a really nice guy. Loved the gunnery/drill sargent, can't remember what his name was.

My son used to hum catchy tunes in checkout queques at the supermarket and leave people humming as they walked off. He was a sick child!

Tpr Brett, hows it panning out with the foster child? You posted a thread about it a few months ago.

Mick.

What about Francis, the Talking Mule

StarMetal
09-19-2006, 10:15 PM
Aaaah the tenders...I was on a Destroyer and we got alot of fabrication made up on the tenders bigger and better machineshop.

I joined because my Dad was in during WWII.

Joe

wills
09-19-2006, 10:42 PM
Sgt. Carger = Frank Sutton
http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0840308/

Four Fingers of Death
09-20-2006, 12:58 AM
Tpr Bret, there might be some problems along the way, but just think how those kids would be getting along if you and your lady wern't looking after them, good work amigo, Mick.

Buckshot
09-20-2006, 03:33 AM
That's the main reason I joined the navy inthe first place. Now Vietnam and those PBR's weren't like mcHale's PT73. Good thing I found out about the real boat Navy before I did something dumb like volunteer. Spent my Navy days on Tenders.

My great uncle was in Navy during the last 2 years of WW2. He was some aviation rate but was stuck on some backwater island for a year and a half. On the way there they stopped at Johnson island south of Hawaii and unloaded some stuff for a bunch of Sea Bees that were there. He said he never saw so much lumber in one spot as was on that island.

When he got to the island he was going to he said it was pretty casual. He said that sometimes PT boats would come by to get gas and the guys on those things were pretty loony. He said McHale's Navy wasn't too far fateched. He said that they would add or change around their armament pretty much however they wanted. They'd also paint thier boats in real zany camo schemes.

In that vein, apparently Kennedy's PT 109 had an unothorized 40mm cannon up front.

On several occasions he got to fly in PBY's. He said that they'd get some bombs and go down to some of these smaller islands and atolls where there were still Jap soldiers and drop bombs on'em more for something to do, and also to get their airtime in to keep their flight pay. He said some had been bypassed for so long they'd taken up farming to survive.

...............Buckshot

felix
09-20-2006, 08:44 AM
Transport trucks became the PT boats in the Nam era. Some of them were converted to things looking like civil war ironclads on wheels. I've seen some pictures taken by guys I know. ... felix

fiberoptik
09-29-2006, 12:08 AM
Let's not forget the Rat Patrol........

eljefe
09-29-2006, 07:27 AM
Here is a link to some old radio shows, for those who enjoy them. I like listening to them, especially old detective and western shows.

http://www.radiolovers.com/

Phil
09-30-2006, 10:49 PM
Yep, I remember all those radio programs, and "G-Men", "The Thin Man", "The Fat Man", and so many more. And on TV there was "Duffy's Tavern", "The Life of Riley", on and on. Anyone remember the old Burma Shave signs along the roads?

Cheers,

Phil

SPEED WAS HIGH
WEATHER WAS NOT
TIRES WERE THIN
X MARKS THE SPOT

BURMA SHAVE

AROUND THE CURVE
LICKETY-SPLIT
IT'S A BEAUTIFUL NEW CAR
WASN'T IT?

BURMA SHAVE

PASSING SCHOOL ZONE
TAKE IT SLOW
LET OUR LITTLE
SHAVERS GROW

BURMA SHAVE

Explorer1
09-30-2006, 11:16 PM
Rat Patrol, now there was something I came home and watched after school daily! Then it became MASH....

We can't forget Mr. Ed can we.

Four Fingers of Death
10-01-2006, 04:57 AM
What about Broderick Crawford I think his name was in Highway Patrol, wher he would impart a little wisdom over the roof of his black and white at the end of the show, such as : 'Some people die defending thier right of way!' Bit wanky, but we wern't so sophistocated then (still don't know if I spelt it right). Mick.

NVcurmudgeon
10-01-2006, 12:00 PM
Mick, 100% correct on Broderick Crawford. That show was so popular here that it was rerun under the name "Ten-Four, " if memory serves. At the time "Highway Patrol" was popular, the phrase "ten-four" swept this country. Much later there was another California Highway Patrol based show called "CHIPS" (in color!) starring Erik Estrada and some other guy. Seemed wimpy compared to "Highway Patrol," but my then six-year old son loved it!

Ricochet
10-01-2006, 03:17 PM
"Combat" was another good show.

Four Fingers of Death
10-01-2006, 11:09 PM
I met Vic Morrow when I was working at an all night club as a bouncer. We went out drinking afterwards and boy, was he a wild dude! We went through Kings Cross on the way to his hotel about 0830, peak hour and there was a cop on point and he got his whole torso out of the window of the wife's VW and snapped him a salute and yelled 'Good mornign officer!' We would have got our butts kicked if we had of got caught. Needless to say, I went home via a different way.

1 Adam 12 was another show I loved as was 'The Naked City', 'Just the facts Maam!'

Boy this thread is reminding me of things.

There was an American Golf show on when we first got TV when I was nine (about 1957, last kid in school to get TV Boo Hoo!, Boy I felt betrayed when my mate who was the second last kid to get TV said to me, 'No I didn't listen to the serials last night because we got a TV!' I still remember that moment with absolute clarity.) The golf show was really good, gave a map of the course with each shot, we were enthralled, even though none of my whole extended family before or since have ever played golf.

The wrestling was also popular, but it was Australian based, Mario Milano and Killer Kowalski (a yankee polak who had huge hands and used to grab his opponemts stomachs and wreak havoc, I can't remember the name of his 'hold').

We were a lot easier to entertain then.

Bret4207
10-02-2006, 08:31 AM
Chips- Man, I'd like to see anyone do any cop work wearing skin tight pants! I used to catch William Shatner in "TJ Hooker" right before I went to work midnights. My partner never quite measured up to Heather Locklear!

When I first got on the job I wondered how old Kent McCord could rattle off plate numbers from 1/2 mile back on Adam 12. I thought everyone could do it but me. Figured I was blind. I wondered how Barnaby Jones could always shoot the gun out of the bad guys hand at 75 yards from the hip. And who could listen to McGarret talk without breaking out laughing? Or Kojack- could you take any of seriously? Nowadys folks watch CSI and figure every podunk PD out there ( or the NYSP!) has a bunch of crime scene techs with fancy equipment that'll solve the crime in 40 minutes. If only they knew the truth....