PDA

View Full Version : star heater?

sergeant69
09-30-2010, 03:22 PM
i got a new star luber/sizer a few months ago and haven't done mch more than play w/it for a few minutes as its in the garage and just too damn hot to use in the summer. 5-10 minutes out there and the sweat is pouring off. will really crank it up this winter though. question is.....when it get COLD out there, even w/a small elec. heater and the temp. is in say the 40's, will i need one of those base heaters that the sizer sits on, or will the solid stick lube flow ok at that temp. as is. thanks!

David2011
09-30-2010, 04:02 PM
Here's the cheap and easy way. You can get a clothes iron at a resale store. I think mine was $2. Mount the sizer on a plate of aluminum (best) or steel. This one is 6x12x1/8. It takes very little heat compared to what an iron can produce. I turn mine on at the lowest possible setting and regulate the temp by the distance from the iron to the sizer.

David

David2011
09-30-2010, 04:09 PM
Sorry; I didn't actually answer the question. I've never tried to lube at that temperature but most lubes will be rock hard at 50-60 degrees. I use few lubes that will even flow at normal room temperature. They're just too messy unless you handle evey boolit separately. With a Star you will probably want to let the boolits drop into a container so a heated lube will work better for you. Soft lube will migrate from where you put it to everywhere else if you drop the boolits into a container and will make a sticky mess of all of your shiny new boolits. It's worth the tiny amount of trouble to use heat.

David

LAH
09-30-2010, 04:51 PM
At that temp you will need a heater unless you use some type of grease lube. I have the Star heaters on two of mine but the iron will work as will a light bulb or small hair dryer. The iron however makes no noise. You can also adapt other brand heater to the Star & I believe if you do a search here you will turn something up. Still, plan on a heater.............Creeker

KYCaster
09-30-2010, 09:31 PM
I find it helps a lot to heat the boolits to 70* or so in addition to heating the sizer. If the boolits feel cold in your bare hand, you'll have to stop frequently to let the lube heater catch up.

Jerry

Doby45
09-30-2010, 11:48 PM
$41 for a "proper" solution.

http://www.midwayusa.com/viewProduct/?productNumber=182761

sergeant69
10-01-2010, 06:56 AM
thanks gus thats what i needed to know!

sergeant69
10-01-2010, 06:56 AM
i meant thanks GUYS. duh.

cajun shooter
10-01-2010, 11:52 AM
Use the iron and alumium plate for your heat. Travel iron is smaller and has better thermostat. Use the money for your heater and buy air cylinder. You use a 9 gal air tank to power, no compressor needed except to fill air tank. I have used same tank of air for 4 months. Fill at station and bring home.

Dale53
10-02-2010, 10:15 AM
I use the Lyman heater that Doby45 recommended. It has no thermostat on it. I added a Dremel rheostat (I already owned) to control the temperature (necessary). You can easily and inexpensively get an electrical box, a light dimmer switch and a plug at Lowe's and wire one up. The cost will be low (probably under $10.00).

I set my heater at a pre-determined amount of heat, wait a few minutes for the sizer to come up to temperature and I am good to go. I use Carnauba Red, which requires heat, and am completely satisfied.

Dale53