PDA

View Full Version : Intereresting Gun Shop Find.

Doc_Stihl
09-30-2010, 01:55 PM
At the local shop today and the owner pulls this out to show me.

It's an old Colt 38 Special....but the grips caught my eye.....
Look familiar to anyone? I know it's a long shot and a pipe dream, but the thought of it even being a set of Keith grips got me thinking.

BTW, there's no screws. You can feel the panels are a little loose, but I wasn't going to try and pry them off.
The backstrap is "serrated" by hand, but other than that and the grips it looks original. I shoulda measure the chambers...

pietro
09-30-2010, 02:53 PM
JMO, but a .38 Special Colt SAA is a very nice find, indeed !

The grips could either be one-piece, or two panels screwed together with the screw covered by the inlays on each side.

Since the SAA has a 2-piece gripframe, the top pair of gripframe screws alongside the hammer, and the single on the bottom strap, can be removed, allowing the rear half to be dismounted, along with the grips, for inspection.

IIRC, Keith was partial to steerhorn carved grips alright - but only in Ivory, AFAIK.

Doc_Stihl
09-30-2010, 04:41 PM
The owner had another is 44-40. These probably won't even be for sale, the owner has a "just for looks" collection that rivals most gun shops. Brought those 2 in to make my heart ache.

Also brought in a Winchester 1873 musket configuration 44-40 in awesome condition and original. That really got me....

bhn22
09-30-2010, 08:22 PM
The off side of Keiths grips was usually the Masonic emblem. Keith also had his grips carved in pretty deep relief. The steers head & long horns would fit in the creases in the palm of your hand as you gripped the revolver.