PDA

View Full Version : Linotype pricing

Jumping Frog
09-30-2010, 01:46 PM
I have an option to buy up to 1500 lbs of linotype from a local guy.

I verified it is still the lines of type -- not ingots "reported to be linotype".

What is a typical price for linotype these days? I don't know if he is offering a good deal or not.

wiljen
09-30-2010, 02:15 PM
Somewhere around $1.50 a lbs last I paid for any.

cbrick
09-30-2010, 03:36 PM
Wow, 1500 pounds of lino. If you can get all of that you will be considered a very rich frog by many here. :mrgreen:

Rick

imashooter2
09-30-2010, 03:38 PM
For that quantity, I'd want to pay under a buck a pound. He saves a lot of work selling it to a single buyer.

UNIQUEDOT
09-30-2010, 08:05 PM
I picked up 115 lbs for $105.00. Offer up seventy five cents a pound. That is fair for that quantity.

lwknight
09-30-2010, 08:13 PM
If you got 1500 pounds at 75 cents and sold off 1000 pounds at $1.00
you would end up with 25 cents per pound in the remaining 500 pounds.

UNIQUEDOT
09-30-2010, 08:21 PM
If you got 1500 pounds at 75 cents and sold off 1000 pounds at $1.00
you would end up with 25 cents per pound in the remaining 500 pounds.

I don't think that would be an option. What caster in his right mind would sell off his casting metal?

lwknight
09-30-2010, 09:06 PM
Personally , I would hard pressed to tie up $1,300.00 in anything right now. And you know how chinzy most of do-it-yourselfers are. I always try to justify my expendatures with my wife by how I can make a profit on it or end up with some left over for free.

I sold off 300 pounds of linotype myself because I already had 50 pounds of tin and 300 pounds of rotometald superhard. Also at that time I had to borrow some money to buy the whole lot. I kept about 180 pounds that I ended up having about 50 cents a pound in.

UNIQUEDOT
09-30-2010, 09:13 PM
Personally , I would hard pressed to tie up $1,300.00 in anything right now. And you know how chinzy most of do-it-yourselfers are. I always try to justify my expendatures with my wife by how I can make a profit on it or end up with some left over for free.

I sold off 300 pounds of linotype myself because I already had 50 pounds of tin and 300 pounds of rotometald superhard. Also at that time I had to borrow some money to buy the whole lot. I kept about 180 pounds that I ended up having about 50 cents a pound in.

I see your point!

cbrick
09-30-2010, 09:38 PM
I always try to justify my expendatures with my wife by how I can make a profit on it or end up with some left over for free.

I have an advantage over you, don't have one of those wife things.

I tried having one of those years ago but whew, was that ever expensive, far more expensive than my casting, handloading, shooting. Why just trying to keep the wife hobby fed I could have bought a couple of new molds a week, believe me, the wife hobby was a real eating machine.

When she asked if her dress made her look fat I replied, no, it's all the cake, cookies, chips, ice cream, pie and milk shakes that make you look fat.

To which she replied, well how would I look if I got heavier? To which I replied - Lonely

Rick

smokemjoe
09-30-2010, 09:51 PM
alway sold here for $.50 per lb.

lwknight
09-30-2010, 10:10 PM
To which she replied, well how would I look if I got heavier? To which I replied - Lonely
And I thought that I was dry.
Well , at least she knew where she stood.

southpaw
09-30-2010, 10:42 PM
I have paid 75 cents to 80 cents per pound. Looks like it sells for around $1-$1.5 plus shipping. I would buy all you can. Heck if you don't think that you will use it all you can always sell it or swap it here for some lead that you need/want.

Jerry Jr.

cbrick
09-30-2010, 11:06 PM
I have an option to buy up to 1500 lbs of linotype from a local guy.

What is a typical price for linotype these days? I don't know if he is offering a good deal or not.

On the serious side, lino is getting like WW and is getting harder and harder to find. The print industry hasn't used it in years and never will again. That leaves only newly mfg lino for the bullet casting crowd and that is expensive. Check with local scrap metals dealers and see what scrap lead is going for your area, you'll then have an idea what he could get from a recycler.

If you can swing the entire purchase I would jump on it, this is an opportunity that you may never see again. As has already been said, it can be swapped, sold or just plain used by yourself. If the price isn't way out of line it would be hard to go wrong or loose on this.

Let us know what you decide to do, curious minds want to know.

Rick