PDA

View Full Version : Ruger #3

redneckdan
09-30-2010, 09:36 AM
I recently acquired a #3 in .45-70 to replace my buffalo classic. I've heard the #3 is nasty will heavy loads.....I'll tell you what, it is nothing compare to the buffalo classic. That thing made me bleed after a few shots even with a vest style kick pad. Anyway, does anyone know of available scope mounts? The rifle is drilled and taped with 4 holes on the barrel right in front of the receiver.

Nrut
09-30-2010, 11:57 AM
Hello Dan,
I have two piece Ruger bases and I believe that Weaver makes bases for the #3..
Check out Brownells..

Boz330
09-30-2010, 02:30 PM
I recently acquired a #3 in .45-70 to replace my buffalo classic. I've heard the #3 is nasty will heavy loads.....I'll tell you what, it is nothing compare to the buffalo classic. That thing made me bleed after a few shots even with a vest style kick pad. Anyway, does anyone know of available scope mounts? The rifle is drilled and taped with 4 holes on the barrel right in front of the receiver.

I had one and I'm sorry I got rid of it. I tried some of the Ruger loads from the Lyman manual and decided that the 1873 Trapdoor loads would work just fine. You can get way too close to 458 Mag loads in that action. The only gun that even came close to hurting me like that #3 did was a 577 Nitro Express, it hurt really bad. With the trapdoor loads you can shoot it all day long. The one deer that I took with it sure couldn't tell it wasn't a 458 Mag. On the other hand if you need to take something that will hurt you, it can be stoked up.
If you are going to scope it I would suggest a long eye relief scope if you are going to load it up, or wear a low riding Kevlar hat:veryconfu lest you look like this emoticon.
BTW nice find you will like it.

Bob

Crusty Deary Ol'Coot
09-30-2010, 03:13 PM
Well, I am an old boolit caster, but new to the world of casting for hunting with a rifle.

I read a bunch about the subject, here and on other forums, and decided on the 45/70.

Being a RUGER #1 lover, I kept my eye on one in very good condidtion at an area hock shop and finally made the plunge at a very good price.

I have some friends who have owned, #3s or were talked into firing a friend's, and all with heavy 45/70 loads. Two of those friends owned the same rifle, both selling it and the other shot his brother's rifle.

You would be hard pressed to get those folks to shoot a #3 again with loads of that intensity.

HOWEVER, soon after getting my #1 and before finding a scope for the rifle, I tried shooting the rifle - loads of a RCBS 405 at about 1600fps - with the factory iron sights AND QUICKLY WONDERED WHAT I HAD GOTTEN MYSELF INTO!!!!!!!!!!!!

It hurt, lots! BUT ----------- once the scope was mounted, it was a totally different ball game! Night and day!

The problem was head position with the iron sights and the fact that my face was getting hammered !!!!!!!!!! with every shot.

What a difference the higher head position made.

Now, I do have a very good, read thick and soft, recoil pad installed and use a shot filled sissy bag when shooting on the bench, but I am now shooting loads, seated/standing/off hand at well over 2100fps with a cast 350gr LBT boolit.

I don't know if anything will make the 45/70 nice, with heavy loads, in a #3 because of the amount of drop in the butt stock, and if it was my rifle I'd probably look for a used #1 butt stock.

That does mean a bit of change to the lever shape by a gun smith.

This morning, I tested some heavier loads with the 350gr and RL#7, and the oft stated information that cast boolits shoot faster then the "J" bullets seems to be totally true.

Using published Hornady information for 350gr "J" bullets, My #1 was waaaaay faster, by over 200fps with cast boolits of equal wt. :lovebooli

Not trying to make my 45/70 into a .458, but do want loads with a minimum of a "rainbow" arch out to 2 hundred yards or so.

So was not looking to get the velocities I saw this morning as my goal was good huntable groups, but if they both come in the same package, so be it! :bigsmyl2:

Keep em coming!

Crusty Deary Ol'Coot

redneckdan
09-30-2010, 03:53 PM
I'm looking to put an Ultra Dot on it for tight bush hunting.

Crusty Deary Ol'Coot
09-30-2010, 04:15 PM
I have wondered if the red dots/ ultra dots would hold up with the recoil.

Keep us posted.

Keep em coming!

Crusty Deary Ol'Coot

Boz330
09-30-2010, 06:10 PM

Whats wrong with a ghost ring and ivory bead? I hunted with scopes when I was young and wasted my good vision times. Now I need a scope and relish hunting and shooting with irons. You are going back to a single shot and classic caliber why not classic sights and do it the way your ancestors did. The self satisfaction is awesome.
:bigsmyl2:

Bob

Shooter
09-30-2010, 06:16 PM
I have wondered if the red dots/ ultra dots would hold up with the recoil.

Keep us posted.

Keep em coming!

Crusty Deary Ol'Coot

I have a Millet reddot on a Ruger #1 in .405 that has held up well.

redneckdan
09-30-2010, 07:01 PM
Whats wrong with a ghost ring and ivory bead? I hunted with scopes when I was young and wasted my good vision times. Now I need a scope and relish hunting and shooting with irons. You are going back to a single shot and classic caliber why not classic sights and do it the way your ancestors did. The self satisfaction is awesome.
:bigsmyl2:

Bob

Does the williams FP bolt up to the factory holes?

Crusty Deary Ol'Coot
09-30-2010, 07:33 PM
For me at least, the "ghost ring" would not be a good option!!!!!!!!!!!!

I like the looks of the peep sight which fits in the rear most scope ring position on the #1 quarter rib, But as posted above, I rapidly cured myself of any desire to shoot the #1 with iron sights.

The ghost ring is just another iron sight and as such, shooting with one would cause me GREAT PAIN. AND, be'in an Ol'Coot I'm nor much into excesive and uncalled for pain at those levels.

Nope, the higher head position required for scope use cured the pain situation with the 45/70 and Having been there and done that, no thanks once was enough.

Shooting the 45/70 at Springfield Trapdoor levels might take the pain away, but that is not what I got the #1 for.

Keep em coming!

Crusty Deary Ol'Coot

redneckdan
09-30-2010, 08:08 PM
She's a fun little carbine, there is something to be said about a boom stick that leaves you pointing at the sky when you touch one off. [smilie=p: I think I am leaning towards the red dot still at this point. I do like peep sights and have them on several rifles.

TCLouis
09-30-2010, 09:28 PM
says Weaver 85 and 86.

ktw
09-30-2010, 09:52 PM

I've got an extra Leupold VXIII 1.5-5x20 that would work good on it. ;)

Somehow I ended up with three of them and currently only one is mounted on a rifle.

-ktw

Charlie Sometimes
09-30-2010, 10:13 PM
Yes, Weaver 85 and 86 is correct. :smile:
I just picked up an #3 "Liberty" model this past weekend at a local gunshow, and that is what is on it. :smile:

My #3 has not been treated too badly, but not perfectly either.
I managed to talk the owner down a little due to condition and several minor descrepancies- one being the front scope mount was installed turned around backward giving it a very nasty appearing improper angle for a scope. :grin:

I have shot this rifle 25 times since last Friday with Trap Door-class loads and my shoulder is ever so slightly sore due to the recoil of these load in this rifle. I do not even notice recoil in my Marlin 1895SS with the same loads. The #3 shoots very good groups off hand at 40 yd- the furthest I have tried it yet.

I have ordered one of those butt extention recoil pads for the Mini-14 and 10/22 to improve stock fit, as it is a somewhat short fit for me to get down behind the iron sights. This should improve things- I hope. I haven't noticed any "face slapping" recoil issues wit hthese loads either. I'm going to try some heavier loads once I get the butt extension pad.

I got my rifle with the intention to swap barrels and make a 375 Win out of it. Forearm needs to swap to a 1-B version, and if the extension pad does not work sufficiently, I may end up fitting a custom length stock to it. :smile:
I'm gonna make the swap, but in the mean time, I'm gonna shoot the 45-70 until it happens! :lol:

Charlie Sometimes
09-30-2010, 10:23 PM
The #3 isn't much lighter that the #1, but that carbine shaped butt is a killer combined with the lighter weight rifle and heavy loads, I guess.

Has anyone slugged their bore to see what to size boolits?
Just out of curiosities sake, I'm going to slug mine tomorrow- even though the 459 as-cast boolits are shooting good.

I like the looks of the #3 stock/action/lever combination better than the pistol grip #1.
Forgot to mention that I have to change the extractor for the conversion, too.
I got Numrich's last one for the 375 Win/ 30-40 Krag! :bigsmyl2:

Boz330
10-01-2010, 10:39 AM
Does the williams FP bolt up to the factory holes?

Dan, I never had peeps on mine, I just used the stock sights, That was back when I could still see fairly well. One issue with the #3 is the squared off shape of the top of the stock.
Like Charlie I just always liked the utilitarian look of the #3. I believe that the barrel on the #3 is shorter and lighter than the #1. I had also thought of putting the recoil pad for the 10/22 or Mini on mine, the stocks look to be identical at the back.
JMHO but the rifle just lends itself to irons. A red dot would be nice in the woods but the one deer I took with mine was in the woods on a rainy day. It makes for fun stalking when the woods is quiet.

Bob

cajun shooter
10-01-2010, 01:02 PM
The #3 is a fine gun and can be tamed with mercury stock inserts. After you use a gun that has them you will want to have them in your 22's. A long sandbag between stock and shoulder will work until the work is done.

redneckdan
10-01-2010, 06:35 PM
I tried some 500 grainers at 1800fps this afternoon. Had significant padding under the bob allen pad. Shoulder feels okay......but my back hurts and I have quite the headache. [smilie=f:

SharpsShooter
10-01-2010, 07:27 PM
Dan

http://www.midwayusa.com/viewProduct/?productNumber=405068 will fix the sight issue. Try the Gould hollow point (457122) cast of 16:1 over 54gr of 3031 and you will be in good shape.

SS

August
10-01-2010, 08:01 PM
I tried some 500 grainers at 1800fps this afternoon. Had significant padding under the bob allen pad. Shoulder feels okay......but my back hurts and I have quite the headache. [smilie=f:

I think I admire you but I'm not exactly sure why....

Charlie Sometimes
10-01-2010, 09:58 PM
Got the extension pad today and installed it.
Fit was not as nice as I had hoped (made in the land of Chin) but the principle is correct, as it did make the difference in fit and recoil for me.
I fired two rounds loaded with 15 gr. of Trail Boss under a 550 gr. Lyman 457676 and a good roll crimp, and two rounds of the same load under the JP 45-210 Big Lube boolit, also roll crimped.
Somewhat stiffer recoil than my other loads, and were managably comfortable with the extension pad.

I agree with Bob- the flat top on the #3 stock is an issue. I don't think the drop on the #3 and #1 are any different, just that squarish top ain't condusive to high recoil comfort! :lol: The curved butt doesn't help much either.

The barrel on my #3 is 22 inches, and my project replacement barrel is 24. It is standard Ruger profile for a #1-B, IIRC. No iron sights on it.

Looks like I will be changing forearms to a 1-B and the butt stock to a custom length for the #3 but with the #1 round top and recoil pad. :smile: I intend to mount a scope, because my eye sight ain't what it used to be either. :sad:

The rifle does lend itself to stalking and all day carry- especially with the open sights.

Forgot to slug the bore! :groner: Tomorrow, yes, tomorrow..........

AkMike
10-02-2010, 01:28 AM
The biggeat problem with both the #1 and #3 is that they build the length for midgets. If the LOP was at 15" then it could easily be cut down to fit almost anyone. It need to be longer for less felt recoil.

cabezaverde
10-02-2010, 08:57 AM
I don't know if anything will make the 45/70 nice, with heavy loads, in a #3 because of the amount of drop in the butt stock, and if it was my rifle I'd probably look for a used #1 butt stock.

That does mean a bit of change to the lever shape by a gun smith.

A number 1 buttstock will fit without any metal work required. You may want to however to prevent getting your fingers rapped by the trigger guard.

Good Cheer
10-02-2010, 09:33 AM
All kidding aside, I know of a gunsmith that passed out due to previously firing high recoil tests. I think it's like most things in life...it effects you later.
My No.3 began life as a 375Win. Found out it didn't have enough case capacity so had the chambered reemed and turned it into an H&H carbine. Shot sub MOA groups with a T-10. Didn't hurt my shoulder with it but got muscles pulled loose during bench shooting. Now it's reborn with another barrel.
Ah, those halcion days. Low taxes, over paid and more time on my hands than I could fill.

Crusty Deary Ol'Coot
10-02-2010, 12:01 PM
A number 1 buttstock will fit without any metal work required. You may want to however to prevent getting your fingers rapped by the trigger guard.

Well, Maybe something was changed along the line that I am not aware of, but because of the lever shape on the #3 with it's streight grip style, when #1 wood is installed, the action lever needs to be tweeked a bit to allow for use with the pistol grip of the #1.

Where the #3 has a detent to retain the action lever in the up/closed position as compaired to the release of the #1, there is no changes needed there.

It has been a long time since I saw the change over being done from factory to #1 wood on a #3, so as already said, maybe something changed.

Keep em coming!

Crusty Deary Ol'Coot

9.3X62AL
10-02-2010, 02:09 PM
FWIW, my #1 in 45-70 has .459" throat and grooves, land diameter is .449" and 8-groove right twist at 1-20". Government ballseat, also.

Charlie Sometimes
10-02-2010, 09:31 PM
Slugged mine- it' 0.459" bore, with lands at 0.453"

I have a buddy who has several #1's (that's where I got the project barrel).
I'm going to take mine over to his house and test fit the #1stocks to mine and see.

I have read that there is not much real difference between models- might be easier to remove the pistol grip wood from a #1 stock to make a #3 stock rather than bend a lever (blasphemy! :razz:), if all else is the same. I have also read that the earlier production #1's & 3's had better wood fit. Today's wood is left more "proud" around the action. Might be play room for a custom fit that way.

Charlie Sometimes
10-02-2010, 09:36 PM
The biggest problem with both the #1 and #3 is that they build the length for midgets. If the LOP was at 15" then it could easily be cut down to fit almost anyone. It need to be longer for less felt recoil.

Thinking about this situation- isn't 13 1/2 the usual LOP for most bolt guns?
Wonder why it feels so different on these?

A straight stock with a 15" LOP would be a wonderful thing for me! :grin:

Crusty Deary Ol'Coot
10-02-2010, 09:43 PM
Hmmmmmmmm??????????

Have never had a length of pull problem with any of the #1 rifle I have owned over the years, and my oldest son has two of my past rifles and has no problems at about 5" taller then I am.

I had the problem with a Marlin, which the addition of a 1" recoil pad solved, but have never even heard of anyone having this issue with the #1.

The Marlin was a .44 in which I was shoot'in my regular .44 load of 310gr LBT ahead of 19gr AA#9.

The problem wasn't the recoil, but the fact my thumb kept smash'in my nose with every shot.

Learn something new every so often, even when your an Ol'Coot.

Keep em coming!

Crusty Deary Ol'Coot

Charlie Sometimes
10-02-2010, 11:38 PM
I'm 6' 3", weigh around 330 lb., have a draw length on a bow of 31-32" (long arms).
I can take recoil, but the #3 seems short and stubby despite a 13 1/2 LOP.
The extension pad made a LOT of difference.
I don't think it recoils enough for a scope to cause you damage, but that butt shape don't help, I'm sure.
Maybe if it were flat, the LOP wouldn't be such an issue?

Boz330
10-03-2010, 03:21 PM

I would never be the one to say I told you so, but I did. If you compare the Ruger listed loads with the 458 Mag you will see that you can get real close with the Ruger #3, not that I want to. Elephants have never done anything to me and White tails aren't any harder to kill now than in 1873 when the trapdoor and the 45-70 were developed.

Bob

Crusty Deary Ol'Coot
10-03-2010, 09:44 PM
Boz330,

Sure would agree about the Killing a white tail needs,

However, considering that elk, deer and bear are open during the same time period for at least part of the general hunting season in Idaho, and the fact that this is my first year to hunt with a cast boolit rifle, I am glad for the flattening of that typical, 45/70 rainbow arch, that my added RUGER #1 velocity is helping to provide.

Yes, it has been awhile since I have taken a critter at over 200yds, but I have also hunted for many years with a rifle that needed zero hold over out to a good distance beyond that figure, so this is going to be a big change in both rifle and mental attitude for the Ol'Coot.

So, for those reasons I welcome the chance to maintain my "center of kill zone" hold from very close and on out to a full 200yds, that my #1 and a 355gr cast LBT is providing.

Will the load be white tail worthy? Yep and worthy of every other critter that could even remotely come my way, plus a bunch. :bigsmyl2:

Keep em coming!

Crusty Deary Ol'Coot

Nrut
10-03-2010, 11:33 PM
Taking game at long distance, BP velocity...:wink:

http://www.shilohrifle.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=8711&highlight=africa

http://www.shilohrifle.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=11261&highlight=zebra

redneckdan
10-04-2010, 07:10 AM
I would never be the one to say I told you so, but I did. If you compare the Ruger listed loads with the 458 Mag you will see that you can get real close with the Ruger #3, not that I want to. Elephants have never done anything to me and White tails aren't any harder to kill now than in 1873 when the trapdoor and the 45-70 were developed.

Bob

I hadn't done any real work up through the range of .45-70 loads ever so I decided to load up 50 rounds ranging from mild to wild. I want to get an idea of what was comfortable for plinking. What would be tolerable for deer hunting. And what loads required extensive padding to be comfortable. 11gr of promo under a 400gr PP was rather pleasant.

Shooter
10-04-2010, 08:21 AM
I have read that there is not much real difference between models- might be easier to remove the pistol grip wood from a #1 stock to make a #3 stock rather than bend a lever (blasphemy!

I take it a #1 lever is not a easy fit?

Boz330
10-04-2010, 09:08 AM
Boz330,

Sure would agree about the Killing a white tail needs,

However, considering that elk, deer and bear are open during the same time period for at least part of the general hunting season in Idaho, and the fact that this is my first year to hunt with a cast boolit rifle, I am glad for the flattening of that typical, 45/70 rainbow arch, that my added RUGER #1 velocity is helping to provide.

Yes, it has been awhile since I have taken a critter at over 200yds, but I have also hunted for many years with a rifle that needed zero hold over out to a good distance beyond that figure, so this is going to be a big change in both rifle and mental attitude for the Ol'Coot.

So, for those reasons I welcome the chance to maintain my "center of kill zone" hold from very close and on out to a full 200yds, that my #1 and a 355gr cast LBT is providing.

Will the load be white tail worthy? Yep and worthy of every other critter that could even remotely come my way, plus a bunch. :bigsmyl2:

Keep em coming!

Crusty Deary Ol'Coot

The buffalo hunters endangered that species with those 1873 type loads. But I hear you. Even with the higher velocities, the trajectory on the 45 slugs could still be an issue with something as narrow as the kill zone on a whitetail. I wish that I had your problem though. We have elk in KY but it is a lottery draw for a permit, I lost this year.

Dan I think that I was using 10 or 12gr of unique, but check that, with a 405gr and it killed a deer. I loaded up some of the Ruger loads from a Lyman manual for the 405 and it was the starting load. I fired the first round and thought surely that wasn't as bad as I thought, so I fired the second one. Then I went back and pulled the remaining 48.

Bob

redneckdan
10-04-2010, 09:14 AM
The buffalo hunters endangered that species with those 1873 type loads. But I hear you. Even with the higher velocities, the trajectory on the 45 slugs could still be an issue with something as narrow as the kill zone on a whitetail. I wish that I had your problem though. We have elk in KY but it is a lottery draw for a permit, I lost this year.

Dan I think that I was using 10 or 12gr of unique, but check that, with a 405gr and it killed a deer. I loaded up some of the Ruger loads from a Lyman manual for the 405 and it was the starting load. I fired the first round and thought surely that wasn't as bad as I thought, so I fired the second one. Then I went back and pulled the remaining 48.

Bob

I went all the way up to lymans max loads for the rugers. Granted I was using a kick pad with a pair of leather gloves underneath. Still ended up with a healthy bruise, had a pretty good headache for the rest of the evening and a stiff back for a couple days. I will load up a few more, mark the heads up bright red with nail polish and set them aside in case MTU is ever blessed with a rogue moose like NMU was a couple years back.

Crusty Deary Ol'Coot
10-04-2010, 12:52 PM
For sure those old buffalo hunters did take some long KILLING shots with rifles at BP velocities.

However, I also suspect that at least for the new kids/shooters on the block, there were also lots of "bad shots" and critters wounded and taking some extra shots to put them down, providing that is, they were not allowed to just run over the hill with the herd and wasted.

So considering it is been awhile since I've spent any time with a muzzle loader and having in fact spent years with rifles offering center of "kill Zone" holds out to 350yds or a tad more, I am happy that I am not needing to rely on old and rusty "Kentucky Windage" skills.

For unlike the BP shooters of old, shooting into a herd of critters, with no limit and no season, I do have a season, a bag limit, and the need/desire to make what is likely to be my one shot per critter, count.

So no question the Ol'timers made some great and long shots with boolits leaving the muzzle at 1200fps or below, but this Ol'Coot is delighted to have a rifle safely able to add a 1000fps to that figure.

This fact is helping ease me into this cast boolit rifle hunting, so Please give the Ol'Coot a break for at least this season. :smile: ;-)

I am already dealing with the thought that this will be the year that once in a life time bull will show up at 300yds and there I sit with my beautiful #1 - s, 45/70 and a self imposed 200+/-yd limit.

Keep em coming!

Crusty Deary Ol'Coot

Boz330
10-04-2010, 03:52 PM
Hitting a 300yd shot is not difficult. The difficult part is knowing it is 300yd and not 250 or 350. If you are good at range estimation no problem or if you use a range finder. Also knowing your gun and what it will do at the different distances, is what puts meat on the table.
I guided elk hunters in NM for 10 years and I was more surprised when a hunter hit an animal than when they missed. Unfortunately the guys we guided weren't as shooting savvy as the guys on this board. I had a guy miss a cake 160yd shot off of cross sticks with a 270 mag. Another hunter shot an antler off of a sleeping elk at 60yd with an inline ML. The elk jumped up trying to figure out what happened and stood long enough for a reload and kill. Thank God for good taxidermists cuz he was a record book animal. The outfitter didn't cut the guy one ounce of slack though, he liked good field pictures of the hunter and game for next years brochure.
The bulk of hunters showed there poor performance at sight check on arrival. We actually had guys run out of ammo trying to show a good zero and the nearest store, more than 50 miles away, was pretty limited on selection. Sorry about the thread drift.
Good luck on your hunt elk is mighty fine eatin.

Bob

redneckdan
10-04-2010, 08:38 PM
No worries.....heck thread drift is expected if not encouraged here. That is why I spend most of my time on casted boolits instead of THR...the jack boot thread tangent nazis tend to get annoying......

Crusty Deary Ol'Coot
10-04-2010, 08:44 PM
Redneck,

Know that not a lot of time has passed, but anything new on the sights or your look'in at?

Keep em coming!

Crusty Deary Ol'Coot

redneckdan
10-04-2010, 10:21 PM
Been a pretty busy weekend/week. At the moment I am stuck between a Williams FP/ Ultradot / VX-III 1.5-5x Not sure which way to go yet. Got to do some experimenting. I am kind of leaning toward the Ultradot at the moment, Jen has problems with iron sights and scopes. The ultra dot seems to work best for her, that is what is mounted on her model 99. I am thinking it may be handy to have a carbine with some horse power that she could shoot should there ever be a need for such things. She doesn't like the size/heft of my CZ-550 in 375 H&H Even the trap door loads pack some close range punch at reasonable recoil levels.

Crusty Deary Ol'Coot
10-04-2010, 10:58 PM
I have the Leupold 2X7 on my #1, but would rather have the 1.5X5 as I think it is a better match on the 45/70.

With the loads safe in the #1 & 3, you do need plenty of eye relief! :groner:

I use the scope at 7X while doing bench work where the less then full field of view is not an issue, but during hunting it will stay in the 2 - 4 range unless I have plenty of time.

Learned long ago that I need to carry the scope on a low power setting.

Missed a bull because I had a 4X12 set on 12X when the critters came out at well under 100yds.

I would have gone for the 1.5X5 except for getting the 2x7 at a good price.

Keep em coming!

Crusty Deary Ol'Coot

Charlie Sometimes
10-06-2010, 10:51 PM
I take it a #1 lever is not a easy fit?
If you are refering to swapping levers then you might as well buy the #1 rifle in the first place. All things being the same internally, I think. I think every difference is just superficial. :-|

I measured the length of my #3 wood stock from the action metal to the center of the extension pad- it's nearly 16 inches! Fit is definitely better with the extension. If I can find a stock blank 15 inches long, I can add a recoil pad and I should be set. :smile:

It's funny, but the length of the factory #3 stock feels SO short to me- like scrunching up on an M1 Carbine (no recoil there to bother me, though). :?

I agree about the 1.5x5 scopes on a 45-70. I have a Redfield of that range on my Marlin. Perfect match for the caliber, and aging eyes. I seriously considered the XS ghost ring sights for it, but peeps are giving me fits in low light or glaring conditions now. So, I opted for the scope (and it was a deal I couldn't pass up).

Go for the Ultradot then, if you even think iron sights and scopes will be an issue for anyone who may need to use it later, or in your absence. Multipurpose rifles used my multiple shooters just cry out for accessories that match all conditions and needs. :smile:

Crusty Deary Ol'Coot
10-07-2010, 01:39 PM
NO, NO, no!!!!!!!!!! do not swap levers!!!!!

The #3 has a detent to keep the lever up and in place, while the #1 has the clip under the trigger guard to keep the lever in place and the action closed.

If a swap was attempted, the #3 trigger guard may or may not allow for the #1 lever to be fitted.

Would need to look at the parts list, but possibly a #1 trigger guard could be fitted to the #3 ??????

Not a big deal for a gun smith to bend the #3 lever to match the shape of the #1 wood and they look GOOD!!!

Keep em coming!

Crusty Deary Ol'Coot

Charlie Sometimes
10-08-2010, 09:49 AM
NO, NO, no!!!!!!!!!! do not swap levers!!!!!

The #3 has a detent to keep the lever up and in place, while the #1 has the clip under the trigger guard to keep the lever in place and the action closed.

If a swap was attempted, the #3 trigger guard may or may not allow for the #1 lever to be fitted.

Would need to look at the parts list, but possibly a #1 trigger guard could be fitted to the #3 ??????

Not a big deal for a gun smith to bend the #3 lever to match the shape of the #1 wood and they look GOOD!!!

Keep em coming!

Crusty Deary Ol'Coot

The #3 does not have a trigger guard like the #1 does after the lever is actuated- hence the difference in lock up.
I would not even consider the change- get a #1 if the #3 doesn't work for you, I say. No need for all the changes when the other is available- totally unnecessary.

Crusty Deary Ol'Coot
10-08-2010, 11:46 AM
Thanks Charlie!!

Keep emk coming!

Crusty Deary Ol'Coot