PDA

View Full Version : Help with Model 7

cabezaverde
09-29-2010, 09:12 PM
I just got a new to me Model 7 in 350 Remington Mag.

Took it to the range tonight and it does not want to feed the last round from the magazine. Bolt just will not move forward unless you stick your finger in and jog the round and jiggle the floor plate. Not a gun I would want with me if I had to face an angry bear right now.

Does not seem to be any thing bent or burrs - no obvious things.

Any thoughts or experience?

Heavy lead
09-29-2010, 09:18 PM
Take the spring out of the magazine and stretch it out to give you more spring pressure, had to do these with a Model 7 7mmSAUM recently, took care of the problem.

Ridgerunner665
09-29-2010, 09:25 PM
After stretching the spring...

Take it apart and buff the underside of the feedlips (they are the underside of the receiver)...buff them with a red ScotchBrite pad or similar...

Rough edges is what is causing the hangup...

cabezaverde
09-29-2010, 10:03 PM
I will try these things, thank you both.

It is amazing, when the right hand cartridge in the magazine is up to bat, you can slam the bolt hard with your hand and it still will not feed.

Could this really be a spring or rough feed lip problem?

Ridgerunner665
09-29-2010, 10:05 PM
Yes...I've seen it on more than one new Remington.

The last one (literally...the last one for me) was an SPS Tactical in 308.

cabezaverde
09-29-2010, 10:19 PM
Yes...I've seen it on more than one new Remington.

The last one (literally...the last one for me) was an SPS Tactical in 308.

Little confused here....do you mean "yes, it could be the problems above"?

Ridgerunner665
09-29-2010, 10:35 PM
Yep...thats what I meant.

If you're lucky thats what it will be...if you're unlucky, the receiver is machined wrong.

cabezaverde
09-30-2010, 08:45 AM
Fortunately, my son whom I visit occasionally is about 45 minutes from Iion. I must just show up on Remington's door step with it if the above tips don't work.

John Taylor
09-30-2010, 10:40 AM
You might try calling Remington before you do anything. If you mess with it first they may not fix it under warranty. Sounds like the bottom of the receiver/feed rails are rough or not shaped right. I'm sure Remington has had more than a few calls on this from others.

cabezaverde
10-01-2010, 12:53 PM
Fiddled with it some last night.

I learned that it does not like RN bullets, which is what I was trying to feed it (handloads I had around).

I made up some dummy loads with 2 different spitzers, and 2 different flatnoses. All fed fine.

It just does not like round noses.