PDA

View Full Version : Powder measuring volume vs weight

JanZ
09-29-2010, 01:26 PM
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

After reading the paper cartridge thread on another board (Outstanding info) I started rolling my own too.

Papers are real easy to acquire here in Humboldt county btw.:roll:

After rolling up 25-30 little tubes some with bullets and some just powder I found I wanted to use my powder measure to toss the charges. I'm using a Lee measure, all plastic.

I am loading Hodgens 777 so I called Lee about using the measure they waffled around, craw fished and then said unofficially I probably could but the liability legal BS tells them to officially say no.

So then I called Hodgen and posed the same question to the makers of the powder they said they didn't see a problem with it and it should work fine.

So then I decided to see what my little brass measure was throwing by weight and here are the results.

Each charge was tapped once to settle and struck off even with the top of the measure.

Volume gn ------Weight gn

5---------------3
10--------------7.2
15--------------10.4
20--------------14.7
25--------------18.6
30--------------21.9
35------------- 27.1
40------------- 30
35------------- 34.3
50--------------36.7

I'd be interested to see what other peoples measures are throwing if some of you wouldn't mind testing a few charges and posting the results.

mooman76
09-29-2010, 07:41 PM
If you are talking about the Lee measure it is off even on smokeless powders. I think they lean generous toward a safety margin on powder weights.

JanZ
09-29-2010, 08:38 PM
If you are talking about the Lee measure it is off even on smokeless powders. I think they lean generous toward a safety margin on powder weights.

When setting the charge on the Lee powder measure I really don't pay attention to the increments on the measure, I set it close and fine tune using a standard beam powder scale.

Once it's tossing the correct charge I lock it and start loading, I still weigh around every fifth charge just to make sure it's measuring accurately