PDA

View Full Version : Lyman Mould Handle Issue

cr17
09-29-2010, 01:10 PM
Hi : I have a couple of pairs of Lyman handles that have become quite stiff to operate - almost as if they are seizing. Sometime ago Floodgate posted the rememdy for this but for the life of me I can't find it. Does anyone have a their own cure or remember what Floodgate advised?

Thanks

Southron Sanders
09-29-2010, 04:00 PM
Rust is probably the reason they are hard to use. Try some penetrating oil on the hinge joint. That might do the trick/

09-29-2010, 05:28 PM
Good ol' Kroil worked on mine.

TCFAN
09-29-2010, 05:55 PM
This is from our old friend Floodgate

Look real closely at the pivot pin, and you should be able to see that on one side or the other there is a faint ring about 1/2 of the diameter of the round button where it is riveted together. Lay the handles, this side up, across the jaws of a good vise, opened just enough to clear the button, but fully supporting the handle bosses it runs through. Take a hammer and a good-sized (3/8" or larger) flat-ended punch and give a light whack on the center; try and see if thehinge has loosened up a bit; and repeat until it just works freely (you can re-rivet it a bit on the vise pad if it gets too loose). Lube it with Bull-Plate and get back to casting.

cr17
10-01-2010, 06:57 AM
Thanks - that's exactly what I was looling for. Sure miss Floodgate's posts.