PDA

View Full Version : Wc 852

Turk
05-15-2005, 11:50 PM
Greetings group' I would like to buy some WC 852 slow, anybody got any they want to sell? Turk

waksupi
05-16-2005, 12:04 AM
Try www.gibrass.com.

lar45
05-16-2005, 01:01 AM
The WC852 that I have behaves kind of oddly.
It acts like a faster powder that weighs more than it should. The pressure seems higher for the amount of powder used and velocity obtained.
30-06 and 165 corelokts showed sticky bolt lift at 2700fps.
Don't know if that makes any sence or not??

Buckshot
05-16-2005, 04:23 AM
............The first batch of WC852 I got from Bartlett in 1992 was fast. I don't have the lot number here at work. I had Bartlett's supplied info but being the paranoid nudge I was, I picked the beginning book load and substituted a 125gr Sierra for the 180gr slug shown. I shot it in my Ruger M77 30-06 as I felt that it was the strongest rifle I owned at the time.

At that level primer appearance seemed to be showing a bit of pressure I wasn't expecting. Just like Lar45's experience I was showing undue pressures with 150gr Core-Lokts at about 2750 fps. I called Bartlett up to advise him that his 'Use Like' data might need some revision. He was surprised as he had copies of the Army's acceptance paperwork and the plants testing data.

He faxed me copies of it and it was very fascinating stuff to say the least. It listed some criptic testing proceedures and also actual firing in 5 test rifles with listed average pressures, highest peak pressure and other erata for each of the test rifles. It also listed total ingrediants as percentages, and the makup, wieght and percentages of 'ash' left behind in closed bomb testing.

It showed several thousand pounds as having been produced and it was stored in mil-spec brass and copper containers holding 100 lbs each. All this data was from the Olin run powder plant in Baraboo, WI.

Regardless of the impressive info, I sure could not have reached the velocities shown in my rifle with there haveing been some pretty serious problems. Jeff had no explaination as to what was going on. I don't know how the bidding works for surplus powder, or how the successful high bidder recieves it nor what documentaion follows it along (if any?).

I just went and checked Castpics and the data I show for the 30-06 shows the comparatively low velocities with WC852, and the lot # was 47287. That was the fast lot I'd gotten.

Most all the other data I listed using WC852 with was lot # 47288. This was the slower lot. A problem here too is that where did these lot numbers originate? Are they the entire lot number or only a portion of it? One reason for my question is that of the 3 major surplus powder vendors, I have seen the same powder numbers listed but with drasticly different lot number types.

Just for example's sake, Bartlett would show powder X with lot number 45300. Pat's reloading shows powder X having lot number 789075-0008345, and Hi-Tech might have a 3rd number of some description.

So as regards surplus powder, it would be a good idea to take their 'Use Like' referance and drop down a couple powders on the scale (faster), use a medium load under a lighter slug and try it. It's what I have done ever since getting my first batch of it 13 or so years ago. It paid off with the initial purchase of fast WC852, and again with my WC820, as I DID NOT use it like H110 as suggested!

................Buckshot

Bass Ackward
05-16-2005, 07:27 AM
Greetings group' I would like to buy some WC 852 slow, anybody got any they want to sell? Turk

Turk,

Pat's Reloading has some H-380 on hand. It is listed as H-380 even though it qualifies for the 852 contract class. Check a burn rate chart and see if that meets your idea of slow.

http://www.patsreloading.com/patsrel/prices.htm

afish4570
11-14-2012, 12:47 PM
............The first batch of WC852 I got from Bartlett in 1992 was fast. I don't have the lot number here at work. I had Bartlett's supplied info but being the paranoid nudge I was, I picked the beginning book load and substituted a 125gr Sierra for the 180gr slug shown. I shot it in my Ruger M77 30-06 as I felt that it was the strongest rifle I owned at the time.
At that level primer appearance seemed to be showing a bit of pressure I wasn't expecting. Just like Lar45's experience I was showing undue pressures with 150gr Core-Lokts at about 2750 fps. I called Bartlett up to advise him that his 'Use Like' data might need some revision. He was surprised as he had copies of the Army's acceptance paperwork and the plants testing data.

He faxed me copies of it and it was very fascinating stuff to say the least. It listed some criptic testing proceedures and also actual firing in 5 test rifles with listed average pressures, highest peak pressure and other erata for each of the test rifles. It also listed total ingrediants as percentages, and the makup, wieght and percentages of 'ash' left behind in closed bomb testing.

It showed several thousand pounds as having been produced and it was stored in mil-spec brass and copper containers holding 100 lbs each. All this data was from the Olin run powder plant in Baraboo, WI.

Regardless of the impressive info, I sure could not have reached the velocities shown in my rifle with there haveing been some pretty serious problems. Jeff had no explaination as to what was going on. I don't know how the bidding works for surplus powder, or how the successful high bidder recieves it nor what documentaion follows it along (if any?).

I just went and checked Castpics and the data I show for the 30-06 shows the comparatively low velocities with WC852, and the lot # was 47287. That was the fast lot I'd gotten.

Most all the other data I listed using WC852 with was lot # 47288. This was the slower lot. A problem here too is that where did these lot numbers originate? Are they the entire lot number or only a portion of it? One reason for my question is that of the 3 major surplus powder vendors, I have seen the same powder numbers listed but with drasticly different lot number types.

Just for example's sake, Bartlett would show powder X with lot number 45300. Pat's reloading shows powder X having lot number 789075-0008345, and Hi-Tech might have a 3rd number of some description.

So as regards surplus powder, it would be a good idea to take their 'Use Like' referance and drop down a couple powders on the scale (faster), use a medium load under a lighter slug and try it. It's what I have done ever since getting my first batch of it 13 or so years ago. It paid off with the initial purchase of fast WC852, and again with my WC820, as I DID NOT use it like H110 as suggested!

................Buckshot

Shot a few rounds of my 3006 reloaded with 150 gr. Rem SP reloaded with 61 gr. of WC852 lot # 47289. Last time I chronographed it the fps was 2740 in my 22" 77 Ruger. My chrono crapped out last yr. and I haven't fussed with it. When I fired the 61 gr. load I popped two primers and ceased shooting. I am going to pull the bullets and check powder wt. and see if it was caused by any powder deterioration. If all look good I am dropping down to the 54 gr. H380 load recommendation.afish4570[smilie=b:[smilie=b: