PDA

View Full Version : Tunber Burned Up

smokemjoe
09-28-2010, 05:45 PM
My Mid Way tumber went up in smoke, 8 Years olds, Any way to fix it, Are the Harbor Frieght ones any good, Look heavy duty. Thanks

GBertolet
09-28-2010, 06:06 PM
You didn't mention on what burned up, the switch or motor? If it was the motor, often the manufactures use a shaded pole subfractional motor. All this means the motors are usually the same as ventilation fan motors, such as in bathroom fans. Lowe's and Home Depot usually carry replacement motors for around 10 bucks. Maybe you can match one up. You could also try an electrical or industrial supply store such as Graingers.

1hole
09-28-2010, 06:13 PM
Can it be repaired? Likely, they sure aren't very complicated! Some well stocked electrical supply stores carry replacement motors for bath and kitchen stove hood exhaust fans, same motor is used in most tumblers. If you go that route take your motor with you to be sure you get the right mounting hole locations and get one with ball bearings if you can, they last longer.

I have a 35 year old Lyman 1200 that's on it's third motor I removed from discarded stove hoods. My friends have others, they all work. The HF tumbler is likely as good as most others and at lower cost, especially if you get it on sale or have one of the -20% coupons they are putting in a lot of wood working and some NRA magazines today.

It helps those small motors last longer if we oil the bearings with a good none gumming light oil at least once a year. I like Automatic Transmission Fluid; cheap and works very well, good gun oil too.

Ickisrulz
09-28-2010, 08:01 PM
Can it be repaired? Likely, they sure aren't very complicated! Some well stocked electrical supply stores carry replacement motors for bath and kitchen stove hood exhaust fans, same motor is used in most tumblers. If you go that route take your motor with you to be sure you get the right mounting hole locations and get one with ball bearings if you can, they last longer.

I have a 35 year old Lyman 1200 that's on it's third motor I removed from discarded stove hoods. My friends have others, they all work. The HF tumbler is likely as good as most others and at lower cost, especially if you get it on sale or have one of the -20% coupons they are putting in a lot of wood working and some NRA magazines today.

It helps those small motors last longer if we oil the bearings with a good none gumming light oil at least once a year. I like Automatic Transmission Fluid; cheap and works very well, good gun oil too.

You can print the coupons out:

http://www.retailmenot.com/view/harborfreight.com

Swede44mag
09-29-2010, 03:56 PM
My Mid Way tumber went up in smoke, 8 Years olds, Any way to fix it, Are the Harbor Frieght ones any good, Look heavy duty. Thanks

Call Midway when I bought mine it was listed as having a lifetime warranty.
Let us know what they said mine quit a couple months ago after being replaced once free of charge.

smokemjoe
09-30-2010, 04:29 PM
Call Midway when I bought mine it was listed as having a lifetime warranty.
Let us know what they said mine quit a couple months ago after being replaced once free of charge.

I called Mid Way and said it was over 1 year, LOL, Tag on motor that said who made it, The place is i same town as Mid Way. Called them and will not sell me one as of liabily. Got 4 bowles for this and dont make it no more, About ready to look harbor frieght, Has anyone have one. Thanks
I have now ordered one from Mid South, Like $39.00 and a 22 bator mold, I will look for used motor at a garage sale some day, Thanks for the help- Joe

crabo
09-30-2010, 07:15 PM
I took my hole saw and cut a ring of holes in the base of my tumbler. I have a fan that I point toward the base of the tumbler and it clears the heat out. Motors last a lot longer that way.

The fan is on a timer with the tumbler.

jcwit
10-01-2010, 12:23 AM
Take a look at a Berry tumbler or Cabela's tumbler. The're the sme thing and made in the U.S.A. except for the motor which is outsourced. How bout supporting our own.

fryboy
10-01-2010, 12:59 AM
grainger sells a motor that can be adapted to fit the final cost is a bit more than a new tumbler , i went with the new tumbler , the lyman is the same basic setup as ye olde midway 1292 , the difference is the rod in the middle is fatter and needs bigger wingnut and washer , simple solution is to buy either the whole tumbler or the base ( i got the whole 2500 ) and then drill the old midway bowl holes out to 5/16 simple easy and it works , i think the base solo ( only way to get the motor from lyman ) is around 55-ish and one can get a new tumbler for that , i left a few links for parts on this thread
http://www.handloadersbench.com/view_topic.php?id=7228&forum_id=31&highlight=tumbler+burnout+
seems all the newer fart fans i find have a much thinner shaft one mite get lucky with a older model tho ( made about the same time as the tumbler ) i saw a whole bunch get throwed to the recycler about 3 months before mine gave up the ghost [isnt that always the way ? lolz ]