PDA

View Full Version : 455 Webley problem-HELP!

broomhandle
09-28-2010, 04:05 PM
Hi Guys,

I picked up a nice old 1918 Webley cut for 45 ACP moonclips.

I have discovered that the star does not snapdown at the end of its ejection stroke. I have a idea about how it works (cam is out of adjustment?) but want to talk to someone that knows about them.

I have to close the revolver about half way to install a loaded moonclip.
It works but not well. I'm sure it's not correct as it is.
HELP!

Best,
broom
another collector of high priced rust:killingpc

andrew375
10-06-2010, 01:22 PM
You need to remove the barrel from the frame and drop the pawl out of the slot. Looking from the front at where the barrel pivot is you will see the pawl in the centre slot. It works by a shoulder on the bottom of the pawl butting on to the face of the frame so as the barrel pivots down the upper part of the pawl, which bears on the extractor, pushes the extractor star out. However the hole in the pawl where the barrel hinge screw goes through is elongated and a surface inside the barrel presses the pawl upwards against a spring. At the end of the barrel movement the pawl has been pushed up far enough to clear the shoulder on the frame and as the movement of the extractor has compressed a spring the extractor now snaps back, rotating the pawl as it does so. Putting the barrel in to the firing position realigns the shoulder of the pawl with the shoulder on the frame and the spring forces it down in to engagement.

There is probably just some dirt or dried grease jamming things up or the barrel is being blocked from rotating down far enough.

A picture paints a thousand words.

http://im1.shutterfly.com/media/47a0ce27b3127ccefb18a361286400000030O00Ics2rJm2cMQ e3nwA/cC/f%3D0/ps%3D50/r%3D0/rx%3D720/ry%3D480/

fiscus
10-09-2010, 08:55 PM
When you open it all the way the bottom edge of the barrel is supposed to push the cam up inside so it snaps back, sometimes there is wear on this surface which can be compensated by CAREFULLY filing a little bit off the tip of the cam, sort of like this. It only takes a little bit.

http://img202.imageshack.us/img202/9403/ry480.jpg