PDA

View Full Version : Another 45-45-10 Question

chuebner
09-28-2010, 08:59 AM
I thought I would make up a small batch of the 45-45-10 lube since I have a gallon of the ALOX from the group buy and a fresh can of JPW. The question is about cooking off the solvents in the beginning of the process and then adding another solvent at the end of the process. See what I'm getting at here. Like WHY??? Or am I missing something.

Charlie

fryboy
09-28-2010, 10:35 AM
some dont cook it off and some do , i believe i read a post where it allows u to control the viscosity , i also believe that the batch where i cooked it off works better but that can be self interpretation, u also have to recall that some use either straight and i cooked one can all the way down to use the carnuba ( and other stuff left ) in stick lube and it worked great for me in that aspect as well but had i left the solvent it would then evaporate and let my lube shrink in the grooves to the poith that if cracked it would fall out

Recluse
09-29-2010, 03:51 PM
I add the mineral spirits for viscosity and for blending. I'm not a chemist so I don't know what the "term" is, but I know when I've cooked the JPW pretty good then added LLA, when it cooled, it had started to separate. Adding the mineral spirits when it's still on the hot plate/griddle and stirring thoroughly seems to "blend" all of the ingredients together so that you have a "fluid" rather than "separate parts."

The difference is in having consistent product on your boolits as opposed to maybe having too much LLA and not enough JPW or vice versa--and this can especially become an issue when you do multiple back-to-back batches of tumble lubing.

:coffee:

chuebner
09-29-2010, 07:58 PM
Thanks for the replies. I plan to make a batch this weekend if I can find my $1.00 Amvets hot plate. Normally I use the ALOX cut 50/50 with mineral spirits but even that takes a day to dry considering how sparse I apply it. Something new to try.

Charlie