PDA

View Full Version : H&r 25-06 ??

autofix4u
09-27-2010, 10:42 PM
I have a newer H&R In 25-06, I have had & shot it for about 4 years with basicly the same load. R-P brass a 100 grn nosler partion and 53 gns of 4831 The old stuff.
On sunday afternoon my bother in law was over and we were shooting the 25, on the 4th round the action came open and ejected the shell upon fireing. the shell ejected with a lot of force we found it about 40 feet behind the line of fire.
I inspected the rifle and brass and found no signs of over pressure on either. we put anothe 45-50 rounds though it with no othe issues. Has any one else ever had this happen, it was a bit disturbing...

hornsurgeon
09-27-2010, 11:48 PM
make sure the barrel locking recess and locking mech are all clean. i had a 243 do that once, and it had crud built up in the barrel locking recess.

NickSS
09-28-2010, 06:11 AM
I have had it happen on a rifle I own too. I determined that that rifle did not lockup properly ( too little engagement of the locking lug). I carfully stoned the locking lug until the locking lug gave good engagement when closing. I also heard that it could happen if there is oil on the lockiing lug or bolt so make sure they are clean and dry.

onondaga
10-07-2010, 12:07 PM
The NEF forum discusses this ad nosium and says it is not a dangerous situation and two remedies are mentioned: When using a front rest place the rifle on the front rest as close to the action hinge as comfortable, pop opens are most likely when the forearm end is on the rest. Clean all oil off and dry the springed latching plate in the receiver, That is the latch that the barrel locks onto when closing the action.