PDA

View Full Version : help...Lyman turret troubles

castalott
09-27-2010, 09:26 PM
I just bought a used Lyman turret press and can't get the turret off. It is orange with 6 stations. If that is a screw in the top, it won't turn. I read on another forum that this is the quick change version ( it looked just like mine) and that top screw is a stud. I know it comes apart because that other guy had piks of his apart. I want to take it apart to see if I can adjust some of the play out of it.

But that screwdriver slot on top will not turn either way. I can't find any locking screws or locks. I'm not a novice at this but thought I would ask before I put the 24" pipewrench on it. ( I'm an old oilfield hand...it will come apart before I throw it away....)

P.S. This press isn't rusty or abused. All the acc. are still sealed in plastic. But I'm not impressed with the design so far. Have I missed something?

Thanks,Dale

dragonrider
09-27-2010, 09:34 PM
It is not a screw, and you don't need tools to remove the turret. Grab the knurled knob and pull it off, remove the two half moon clips beneath it and lift off the turret.

castalott
09-27-2010, 09:50 PM
Thanks Dragonrider....worked fine....now to get rid of the 1/8" of wobble....

shotman
09-27-2010, 09:59 PM
oil hand and pipe wrench. utt o. depends on the model some later ones had adj screw for wobble. early didnt need to make shim for the back support thin wedge will work for quick use

castalott
09-27-2010, 10:09 PM
no adjustments.....there is .006 " clearance between the turret and the back support. Is that too much for straight walled pistol cases? Too bad this isn't the one with the adjustable support....

I always wanted to try one of these......but I think I have taken the cure...LOL

dragonrider
09-28-2010, 09:35 AM
I adjusted mine by machining the turret allowing it to rest deeper on the stud and be within .001 of the rear rest. I then made a shim to take up the space on the top otherwise your turret will be popping up and down. It helped some but not enought IMHO. If I did it again I would machine it to rest directly on the rear rest but I think that would make it hard to turn.

cajun shooter
09-28-2010, 10:21 AM
What about the use of shim stock?

1hole
09-28-2010, 03:59 PM
"It is not a screw, and you don't need tools to remove the turret. Grab the knurled knob and pull it off, remove the two half moon clips beneath it and lift off the turret. "

That's interesting. My old 6 hole Lyman Spar-T has a large threaded stud and nut, it sure isn't fast to take off and couldn't possibly be done without a wrench. But it can be tightened to lock the turret down and limit lifting.

castalott
09-28-2010, 08:46 PM
I cut a shim washer from a Mt Dew can and put it under the washer that is under the half moon clips. It was tight to get it back together but we made it. Another piece of the Mt Dew can now fills the back support gap snugly. It just might be ok. This press will probably be for .357 only as I want to do them the old fashioned way...one at a time.

Only time will tell how the soda can will do as shim stock...probably too soft...

As an aside...have any of you guys ever thought about putting a spring/rod under your Lee turret press to push the turrets up in the middle? ( I want the turret to be flat before I start something in a die.) I know you would have to hold down on the turret when you rotate it so the turret doesn't 'pop' out....but that is a small matter for me...

pmeisel
10-03-2010, 12:47 PM
I used a beer can for shim stock on my motorcycle handlebars (anyone read Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance?) It's been fine for several years. Bet yours does OK too.

GP100man
10-04-2010, 08:38 PM
Look at the diagram , I pryed the outer ring off with 2 pocket screw drivers (the oring was dried out ) then push down on the turret , remove the 2 halves that actually do the holding & pull the turret off.

Clean & lube accordingly !!

circle141
10-22-2010, 09:49 PM
I am looking for a Lyman Spar-T press auto prime tube holder or the whole
auto prime accessory, not for the new press.

Thanks
Mike Circle
circle141@msn.com

727-544-1295

BillP
10-23-2010, 03:01 PM

Thanks
Mike Circle
circle141@msn.com

727-544-1295

I see these frequently on ebay...$15-$20.

bp

UNIQUEDOT
10-23-2010, 11:25 PM
As an aside...have any of you guys ever thought about putting a spring/rod under your Lee turret press to push the turrets up in the middle? ( I want the turret to be flat before I start something in a die.) I know you would have to hold down on the turret when you rotate it so the turret doesn't 'pop' out....but that is a small matter for me...

The Lee turret is a bit unique in that the entire turret raises (if you look closely you will see this) it doesn't tilt like the other brands of turret presses. The lift in the turret presses are the same every time so it doesn't really affect oal.

HangFireW8
10-24-2010, 07:00 PM
Mike,

I suggest you post in Want To Buy and put this request in your signature. You'll get a lot more eyes-on that way.

-HF

GP100man
10-25-2010, 07:33 PM
There was 1 on Gunbrokers last week !!! maybe still there ????