PDA

View Full Version : Well I got my first smelting done!

Markbo
09-27-2010, 07:08 PM
Finally got everything together that I needed and got a day off today. The first nice day here in 6 months too!

I had a couple questions that I was able to ask here and get answered quickly during the process helped a lot. I smelted about 155 pounds of wheel weights and netted 120 lbs of ingots with molds made from 2" angle iron. Started out too hot and got a lot of pretty colors and a couple ingots that crumbled apart in the middle.

Turned down the heat a bit and turned those bad ones back in - man they melt FAST! I just kept adding wheel weights when I got near the bottom. I am going to let them sit up a few days and do a hardness test - I'll let everyone know what I find.

Thanks to everyone for answering my questions over the last few months and especially D. Crockett for finding the used Turkey fryer and making me some handy ingot molds! [smilie=s:

All the doom and gloom and lead WW going away has me worried. I may concentrate on finding more WW rather than cast anything any time soon. I have several 100 lbs of store bought cast bullets to use up anyway. I don't think I will melt them down, just because of cost.

Hmmmmm... maybe equal parts 21-24 bnh HARDcast bullets and pure lead... hmmmmmm.... maybe....:idea: