PDA

View Full Version : Best way to cut large ingots?

sourceofuncertainty
09-27-2010, 02:53 PM
Hi all,

I recently purchased a large soft lead ingot that was shipped to me in two pieces, each piece about 30 lbs weight.

Since this is soft lead (plumbers lead I think) it is very malleable. But I'm not sure how to get it into smaller pieces that can fit in my Lee 20-pound pot.

What are some good ways of cutting down large ingots? I don't have a smelting setup so I can't just melt it down from its current size.

jmh54738
09-27-2010, 02:56 PM
a handsaw will cut it just as well as a 2x4

Muddy Creek Sam
09-27-2010, 03:04 PM
I just put them in my 6qt dutch oven first. Circular saw works put a tarp down to catch the lead dust.

Sam :D

slim1836
09-27-2010, 03:31 PM
A sawsall (?spelling?) worked for me on lead pipe.

CiDirkona
09-27-2010, 03:36 PM
I used a circular saw with an old wood blade to cut them in half. Made for quite a pile of lead shavings, but did the trick.

sourceofuncertainty
09-27-2010, 03:56 PM
Hopefully I can do it without making a lot more lead shavings... looking into adding a smelting pot to the ol' tool collection. But if not that then I'll try a handsaw or circular saw. I don't have a sawzall though I can see where that would work too.

Thanks for the suggestions!

CiDirkona
09-27-2010, 04:08 PM
I imagine a log splitter might work as well, but they're alot harder to come by here in the desert!

geargnasher
09-27-2010, 04:09 PM
Axe, hatchet, or chainsaw.

Gear

lwknight
09-27-2010, 07:20 PM
I think a sawzall would just clog up since it does not throw the chips out very well.

Gunlaker
09-27-2010, 07:26 PM
I use my sawzall to cut 60lb ingots. It works ok as long as you use a coarse toothed blade. Although it doesn't work so well that I've stopped looking for a better way.

Chris.

Suo Gan
09-27-2010, 09:06 PM
How about...using a small propane torch and melting small amounts into an old can or even an old metal cookie sheet or pizza tray. Sawzalls don't work out with lead thicker than 1/2" because the blade gets bound up from friction that melts the lead in the kerf and then it the blade gets bent...then you are out $3.00 for the blade, after a few of those cheap lead gets uncheap real quick. But ever since I used a logsplitter, I have not had to use other things. an axe would work, just be careful not to let it glance off and split your foot in two. Good luck and be safe!

gunstocl
09-27-2010, 10:13 PM
I use a Cold Chisel and hammer. I never could saw straight.

sourceofuncertainty
09-28-2010, 12:05 PM
I think I might have an old cold chisel around here somewhere, from my wife's grandfather's tool collection. I'll give that a try if I can find it. Though based on my initial attempts with a hammer and heavy flat-blade screwdriver, I think that might take more effort than it's worth. The lead is probably 4" thick with the exception of the small "feet" at each end of the ingot. It took me 20 minutes of pounding to get one of the feet off, and that was only about 1/2" thick.

There may be a smelting pot in my future...

Changeling
09-28-2010, 04:48 PM
Use it all and cast more bullets, makes sense to me! However I under stand the delima and it would make better sense to remelt and pour smaller ingots. If you have the capability witch is very cheap to set up.

Just an Idea from someone without near the experience of some on the forum.

Tom-ADC
09-28-2010, 04:56 PM
I use a Cold Chisel and hammer. I never could saw straight.

Me also I use a 3 inch wide one and a great big hammer..

Muddy Creek Sam
09-28-2010, 05:02 PM
If I was going to use a chisel, I believe I would use a drill first.

Sam :D

dualsport
10-01-2010, 12:58 AM
Yesterday I cut a block of lead into 3 pieces, they weighed 50, 60, and 70 lbs., about. Had to use a hand truck to move the original block of 180 lbs. Cut with a 7 1/4" Skillsaw with a fairly new carbide blade. Cuts fine, a little slower than cutting wood, but not bad. Split the remaining part in the center with a wedge and sledge. The blade seems unaffected, around $7 for a good blade. I have some more blocks to do, just started with the small one to see how it went. I'll have to take a generator to cut the other ones where they lay, can't move 'em. Old sailboat ballast, unknown alloy so far. I think the power of the worm drive Skillsaw is a factor, might have been different with a sidewinder.

garym1a2
10-01-2010, 12:27 PM
Any ideals for getting solder (63sn/37pb) out of a steel can? I have about 3 gallons in a steel can and it's too heavy for me to move without help. I tried to drill it and the bits either break, drill too slow or twist the drill out of my hand. The can is too heavy for me to put on a burner and melt it.

dualsport
10-01-2010, 12:30 PM
I would peel the can off with a hammer and chisel, then cut the block with a Skillsaw. Carbide tipped Skillsaw blades will cut soft steel if the can walls are thin. Wear eye protection.

lwknight
10-01-2010, 03:03 PM
Gary , if you are talking like a steel 5 gallon bucket, your probably stuck with the acytelene torch method. After getting the can off , set it up on something and melt off what you want into a smaller catch.
If you keep the flame soft and just use the feathering ends of the flame you will not oxidize the metal and it will not overheat as long as what melts can run off.
The runoff will run down the sides at just exactly melting temp into your catch.

Another thought , If the can is in good condition you could set it up on the corners of blocks and build a fire under it to melt the whole thing. Then dip up the liquid into smaller molds.