PDA

View Full Version : bear hunting

WickedGoodOutdoors
09-27-2010, 10:39 AM
A Cast Boolits member just emailed to ask if I di Guided Bear Hunts in Maine and whats involved.

To answer the question:

In Maine there are a few different types of Bear Hunting that are allowed.

Bear Hunting Season

General Hunting (without use of bait or dogs) - August 30, 2010 through November 27, 2010
Hunting with Bait - August 30, 2010 through September 25, 2010
Hunting with Dogs - September 13, 2010 through October 29, 2010

I do not Guide specifically for Bear as I dont have the time nor the locations to put out bear baits nor do I have Bear hunting dogs.

Baiting must be done on a regular daily basis to attact the bears to the food and involves copouis ammonts of Donuts and PicNic Baskets.

Seperate Bait Season licences and Dog hunting licences are required for those seasons.

However if you would like to get out for some non-baited Bear hunting I may just hunt with you for the fun of it if I can make the time. It would be fun to get out camping for a couple of days to look for Bear & Deer.

When you purchace a Maine Big Game licence 1 Bear Tag is included in the reg Deer Season.

There are Black Bears all over Maine.

Here is last years Harvest Map by Town.
http://www.maine.gov/ifw/hunting_trapping/pdfs/2009_Bear_%20Harvest.pdf

No, I have not Yet seen a bear in my back yard; however I hav seen plenty of tracks in the woods around my town and I suppose if I were to hang some jelly Donuts in the trees???? There is a story of a Bear walking ito one of the houses down the street a few years back. Musta smelled some Home Cooking?

While Moose Hunting in Aroostock County in Sept a couple years ago; My Boy and I smelled & heard bears and saw tracks just about every day.

Here is a Good link to info and to get a hunting licence.

http://www.maine.gov/ifw/wildlife/species/bear/

DIRT Farmer
09-27-2010, 10:31 PM
WGO, with an offer like that you should have a lot of friends, and not just on facebook but on your porch. I know if I could get away me and my 72 Kodaic would be calling. I have the perfect muzzle loading bear and hog gun but cant get away from the farm. Here we have no bears after one of my ancesters shot the last one about 1/2 mile from where I live in the 1860s and all of the hogs are in feed lots.

Arisaka99
09-28-2010, 03:27 PM
so you cant hunt hogs alan?

DIRT Farmer
09-28-2010, 09:32 PM
Nah the neighbors get mad if you shoot them in the pens. I went squirrel hunting Sunday after church and saw one running, the only one I saw and I'm not up to running shots with a 32 flinter, but on the way in a ground hog poked it's head up a little to long. A .319 RB and 25 grns of fffg will put them on their back.

Just Duke
09-30-2010, 08:04 AM
We are both looking forward to seeing Maine.