PDA

View Full Version : Collecting WW's

shoot-n-lead
09-26-2010, 05:07 PM
I am in the process of trying to get started casting, so I decided that I really needed to start trying to get some material to work with. I visited three local tire shops to inquire about wheel weights. I have spent $75.00 dollars in actual payments and I bought one shop manager a $10.00 Hardee's gift so he could buy himself a few biscuits on his way to work. I have a verbal commitment from them to get what they have in the future at the same price I paid this time. I am encouraged and will buy the "bounty" as long as possible.

Now I just have to get a few more items before getting my feet wet with smelting and casting.

BTW, this is a great site. Thanks

home in oz
09-26-2010, 05:09 PM
Soooooooooooooo, how much lead for 75 bucks?

shoot-n-lead
09-26-2010, 05:38 PM
Soooooooooooooo, how much lead for 75 bucks?

Sorry about that....:veryconfu

560 pounds of mixed wheel weights.........one place had a good many truck weights in the bucket.

crabo
09-26-2010, 05:44 PM
You are doing great! Don't stop , you will find out at some point you still don't have enough.

shoot-n-lead
09-26-2010, 05:47 PM
You are doing great! Don't stop , you will find out at some point you still don't have enough.

Ya know, I have not cast a boolit yet and I already feel the addiction....no joke.

These shops had a little accumulation this time, but I still think they will be good for about 100# per month collectively.

fredj338
09-26-2010, 07:36 PM
Good price, even if you only get 65% useable stuff (about what I get out here now). Stay with it, they are only going to get harder to find going forward. IMO, 2yrs max on lead based ww, then it's all zinc & steel for the future.

jmsj
09-27-2010, 12:48 AM
shoot-n-lead,
That a really good price for that much lead. I think you are really getting hooked already. I'm still a newbie compared to a lot of guys here but I'm stoked that I just past the ton mark on smelted ingots. My wife thinks I really have a problem that needs psychiatric attention.
Welcome to the madness. jmsj

shotman
09-27-2010, 03:06 AM
best look out for the zinc.
looks like 1 april 2011 lead is banded nation wide, that is what is posted on tire weight site ten states have a ban now

cbrick
09-27-2010, 12:10 PM
best look out for the zinc.
looks like 1 april 2011 lead is banded nation wide, that is what is posted on tire weight site ten states have a ban now

Figures . . . April Fool's day.

Rick

chris in va
09-27-2010, 02:47 PM
We'll all be casting zinc boolits pretty soon. Mold manufacturers would be wise to heed this bit of information if they plan on staying in business.

fredj338
09-27-2010, 03:34 PM
We'll all be casting zinc boolits pretty soon. Mold manufacturers would be wise to heed this bit of information if they plan on staying in business.

Problem is zinc just doesn't fill a complicated form like a goroved bullet mold well. Fine for smooth paper patch maybe, but not fine detail. You'll be able to find lead to purchase from places like Rotometal, but the days of cheap/free are quickly winding down. Range lead will be about the only place to scrounge for free sooner than later.

Eagles6
09-28-2010, 02:21 AM
Sometimes if you show 'em the pistola that yer makin' boolits for it makes 'em more amenable to charity in your direction, if ya' know what I mean.

Sounds like your plan is working okay.

mold maker
09-28-2010, 03:48 AM
I took my tire dealer a couple sculptures made by my drip-o-matic to use as paper weights, for when the door behind him opens. That and a couple boolits really interested him. Now a pizza every couple months asures me of a steady WW supply.

shoot-n-lead
09-28-2010, 12:17 PM
I always seem to get in on the end of most anything that I do.[smilie=b:

cbrick
09-29-2010, 12:24 AM
I always seem to get in on the end of most anything that I do.[smilie=b:

That's funny. Sad, but funny.

Rick

slim1836
10-01-2010, 10:02 PM
I was sitting at my local Chilis (at the bar of course) and met a guy who was a part owner of a tire shop. I showed him my "boolit jewlery" which was a couple of .50 round ball with a .308 in the middle (use your imagination, think male genatelia) on eyelets with a of leather strap which I use to carry my keys on. He love it and said if I would make him a set he would give me a 5 gal. bucket of lead. Three days later he had 2 sets and I had the lead. Cast 119 ingots out of it when done. I've had lots of comments, all positive, on the combination I put together. Saved me a bit of moolah by trading for lead plus met a new friend. Course giving him (and his 2 friends) a shot of Tenn. moonshine in the parking lot may have helped some. Either way, I'm happy. Eyelets are cheap compared to pizzas or doughnuts.

dunkel
10-01-2010, 11:07 PM
Well, ****. I need to get hustling then. I've struck out so far, but I'm going to have to be buying some tires soon...maybe I can use a potential $6-800 sale to get some leverage on a request for wheel weights.

shoot-n-lead
10-02-2010, 02:49 AM
Well, ****. I need to get hustling then. I've struck out so far, but I'm going to have to be buying some tires soon...maybe I can use a potential $6-800 sale to get some leverage on a request for wheel weights.

Bingo! If you have 2 vehicles.....that equals 2 tire shops...!:drinks:

WHITETAIL
10-02-2010, 08:44 AM
slim1836,dunkel,&shoot-n-lead.
Welcome to the forum.[smilie=w:
This is where you can ask any and all questions,
and do not be afraid you will get laugh at.
The foks here have the saying down pat.
Been their , Done that!:coffee:

Jailer
10-02-2010, 10:06 AM

This is how I am getting started. My truck needs a set of tires. So I stop by each place strike up conversation and get a quote from them then spring the wheel weight question on them. So far I have one place that will sell them for $.20/lb, one place that charges $10/5gallon bucket and one place that gives them away. Of course the place that gives them away usually has very few but hey they are free. They also had the lowest tire estimate too.

Matt_G
10-02-2010, 10:58 AM
Ya know, I have not cast a boolit yet and I already feel the addiction....no joke.
You think you're feeling it now?
You haven't even started understanding addiction. :kidding:
Soon, you'll be buying moulds for calibers you don't even own. Gives you a good excuse to buy the gun. :veryconfu

BTW, welcome to the forum and keep after them tire shops. You may be able to lay in three-quarters of a ton or so by the time the lead teat runs dry. Maybe more. With that much you would have a lifetime supply if you made yourself a decent boolit trap.

Edit:
Here's a great thread on traps (http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?t=26627).

shoot-n-lead
10-02-2010, 11:36 AM
Hey guys

Thanks for the welcome for a newcomer. This is a great site with a vast amount of experience and knowledge. I make my wife furious because I can sit in front of this computer and read these old posts for hours on end. I must admit to having had an addiction to anything "gun" for all of my 50yrs. For some reason, she has never been able to get it....but I will continue to pray for her and set the best example that I can. However, she does get exasperated with me frequently.

RP
10-02-2010, 12:07 PM
There was a time getting WWs was easy they load them in the truck just to get rid of them now its buy and trading or buddy system to get them. There is one shop in town that the manger saves the WWs calls it his retirement fund they change alot of tries not sure how many he has but been told theres alot of 55 gal drums sitting in the warehouse full of lead. He wont part with any of them is it wrong of me to think by the time he ready to get rid of them the lead ban will be so bad they make him pay to depose of the lead? But I was there the other day with my son and ask the guy I went to school with for a bucket of WWs there were 5 or 6 sitting around the tire changers he told me to put that one in his truck so they did not have to haul it to the back.

shoot-n-lead
10-02-2010, 12:30 PM
There was a time getting WWs was easy they load them in the truck just to get rid of them now its buy and trading or buddy system to get them. There is one shop in town that the manger saves the WWs calls it his retirement fund they change alot of tries not sure how many he has but been told theres alot of 55 gal drums sitting in the warehouse full of lead. He wont part with any of them is it wrong of me to think by the time he ready to get rid of them the lead ban will be so bad they make him pay to depose of the lead? But I was there the other day with my son and ask the guy I went to school with for a bucket of WWs there were 5 or 6 sitting around the tire changers he told me to put that one in his truck so they did not have to haul it to the back.
There will never be a total ban on lead. There are many places where lead is the only thing that will work. So, he will always be able to dispose of lead by selling to a recycling yard.

Matt_G
10-02-2010, 12:53 PM
So, he will always be able to dispose of lead by selling to a recycling yard.

True, or selling it to casters, whether they cast boolits or sinkers.
Remember, we have a forum full of lead recyclers right here. :mrgreen:
Matter of fact, I just returned from my source. Got a heaping full 5 gallon bucket worth of WW's for the always asked for price of one case of Bud Light.

home in oz
10-02-2010, 01:08 PM
You did well

a.squibload
10-02-2010, 11:55 PM
I have one place that won't take my money, he said he got in trouble last time
'cause they have 3 stores and they re-use the WWs.
Then he said come back in a couple of weeks, he will put the bad ones in a bucket,
showed me where the bucket will be and said just take it if he's not there.
Time to go check. Won't be much but it's free.

shoot-n-lead
10-03-2010, 12:04 AM
Time for me to check my "hooks" again next week. Can't wait....hope I get a 150#'er....get that fish fryer out and cook up some ingots.

shoot-n-lead
10-03-2010, 12:21 AM
I was sitting at my local Chilis (at the bar of course) and met a guy who was a part owner of a tire shop. I showed him my "boolit jewlery" which was a couple of .50 round ball with a .308 in the middle (use your imagination, think male genatelia) on eyelets with a of leather strap which I use to carry my keys on. He love it and said if I would make him a set he would give me a 5 gal. bucket of lead. Three days later he had 2 sets and I had the lead. Cast 119 ingots out of it when done. I've had lots of comments, all positive, on the combination I put together. Saved me a bit of moolah by trading for lead plus met a new friend. Course giving him (and his 2 friends) a shot of Tenn. moonshine in the parking lot may have helped some. Either way, I'm happy. Eyelets are cheap compared to pizzas or doughnuts.

I ain't too sure those ol'boys at my tire places would go for that kind of trinket.:shock: