PDA

View Full Version : lightweight barrel for a model 41 s&w

bobthenailer
09-26-2010, 04:46 PM
does any one make a lightweight barrel for a s&w model 41 22lr target pistol ? i recently put a scope mount and a red dot sight on mine ! and now its a little to heavy for my liking.
thanks bob

fourarmed
09-29-2010, 11:42 AM
Within the last year, Gil Hebard was selling the long M41 barrels for a very reasonable price. I am still considering buying one and cutting it off for a red dot barrel. The 5.5" is pretty heavy when you get a mount and rings and red dot on it.

Dale53
09-30-2010, 12:48 AM
Actually, S&W originally had light weight barrels for the Model 41 (I have one). It was made for field use. I have both the lightweight and short, heavy barrels for mine.

Here is mine with the short, heavy barrel with an Ultra Dot:

http://i269.photobucket.com/albums/jj80/Dale53/DalesPistolsRevolvers4Selects-0366.jpg

FWIW
Dale53

bobthenailer
10-01-2010, 07:49 AM
dale 53 could you send a picture of the lfield ? and do you know what it weighs !
thanks bob

as for shorting the longer barrel to 5.5 and that is a good option . i also read that either 10 ring precision or falcon machine also shorten the long barrel and do some more milling to make it even lighter but they did not say how much the barrel weighed when done.
i have 2 light weight barrels for the hi standard 22 target pistol , 1 is all aluminum with a steel liner i bought years ago from almstead manufacturing the other from lps that has the forward section beyond the frame turned down and a aluminum sleeve over the turned down section to match the orgional barrel contor , both work well

Dale53
10-01-2010, 10:46 AM
bobthenailer;
In the next couple of days, I'll take a picture of the barrel and weigh it (oh, the things I do for my fellow man:mrgreen:).

Dale53