PDA

View Full Version : MiHec Four Cavity Brass 45-270-SAA

Dale53
09-26-2010, 02:36 PM
I received the mould yesterday. This morning, I scrubbed the mould carefully with a toothbrush and Dawn Dish washing liquid. I rinsed it hot tap water and patted it dry with an absorbent towel.

I removed the sprue plate lock screw and dropped a lead birdshot under the screw to protect the threads. Then replaced the lock screw.

The closer I examined this mould the better it looked. REALLY fine work, Miha!

I pre-heated the mould while my bullet metal was melting. I was using WW's+2% tin. After everything was up to heat, I fluxed, then started casting. I watched the clock - not trying to set any records, but merely trying to get an idea of production rate.

I noticed the weight of the brass mould but it was not uncomfortably heavy (I am 75 years old and definitely NOT a weight lifter - more a weight than a lifter, if you know what I mean).

In one hour and five minutes by the clock, I had twenty-one pounds of finished bullets. There will be few rejects. It took maybe two moulds full before things started to run perfectly. I started out with a measured melt temperature of 725 degrees. I reduced this to 655 degrees for slightly better performance. I used my casting fan to maintain a proper casting temperature. This is one of those "magic" moulds. A magic mould is one where everything seems to run perfectly without aggravation. One or two light taps and the bullets fell from the mould. The bullets are well filled out. All in all, a genuine pleasure to use this PREMIUM bullet mould.

This was MiHec's first four cavity brass mould, I believe, and I can see that these are going to be my favorites.

Later, after the bullets cooled, I ran a few through my Star lube/sizer. The benefits of this bullet design for the .45 Colt become apparent as you are casting and sizing them as well as their performance when shot. The wide bands make for easy alighnment in the Star luber for a mess free sizing/lubing experience. I use Carnauba Red and use a Lyman heater (with an added rheostat) for my star.

Here is a picture of 500+ bullets right after casting:

http://i269.photobucket.com/albums/jj80/Dale53/MiHec45-270-SAA-3729.jpg

Dale53

lead_her_fly
09-26-2010, 03:36 PM
Dale,
What did the bullets weigh and measure? THEY LOOK GREAT!

You are a Master Caster! I humbly bow! :)

Dale53
09-26-2010, 04:21 PM
I should have put the measurements and weight up here. The bullets weigh 285 grs + or - .5 grain. They are .4545" in diameter.

I wish you all could see the smile on my face!! I either have a GREAT mould or I am easily satisfied (most who know me would laugh at that[smilie=l:). It's a GREAT mould!

Those that have theirs on order will soon join me with a smile on THEIR faces, too.:mrgreen::mrgreen:

Dale53

DGV
09-26-2010, 07:12 PM
Dale, what are you using for handles?

Dale53
09-26-2010, 07:56 PM
DGV;
I am using Lee Handles. Miha's are much nicer but I have a bunch of Lee's. I drill all of them right through the ferrules with a 3/32" drill and install a 3/32" roll pin. I then grind the roll pin flush with the ferrule on both sides. They seem to last forever if you do that.

FWIW
Dale53

Dale53
09-28-2010, 11:51 AM
I couldn't stay away from my new four cavity brass mould for the 45-270-SAA by MiHec.

I pre-heated the mould, cast a couple of moulds full, cut the sprue, treated with Bullplate lube and then proceeded to PRODUCE BULLETS!!

Man, is this a FINE mould! I ran 21 lbs in an hour or less. I doubt there will be many rejects going by what I observed while casting. I LOVE this new mould!!

I'll be running some through the Star luber/sizer later this afternoon.

It is perfect casting weather. When I hit the casting barn this A.M. it was 54 degrees. Nice, shirtsleeve weather for bullet casting.

My hip is ailing or I would have run a couple more pots. I'll just have to settle for one, today.

FWIW
Dale53

Dale53
09-30-2010, 05:57 PM
Here is a little progress report with pictures. The MiHec 45-270-SAA sized/lubed:

http://i269.photobucket.com/albums/jj80/Dale53/LoadedRounds45-270-SAA-3732.jpg

.45 Colt loaded rounds with the 45-270-SAA:

http://i269.photobucket.com/albums/jj80/Dale53/LoadedRounds45-270-SAA-3735.jpg

Now, if the appearance of that fine bullet and load doesn't get your heart pumping just a bit, you have NO heart! I've been house bound for a couple of weeks with a bad back, so haven't had a chance to get to the range. I haven't been TOTALLY lying down on the job, however...

Dale53

DGV
09-30-2010, 10:58 PM
I just got my mold today and all I can say is WOW! This thing is too beautiful to put molten lead into. This is the first brass mold I have owned. Are there any special break-in precautions I should follow? This was a great group buy, six weeks from committing to a Mihec mold at my doorstep.Thanks again Dale!

Dale53
09-30-2010, 11:06 PM
DGV;
I just used a toothbrush and Dawn Dishwashing liquid and scrubbed the dickens out of the mould. Then rinsed in hot tap water and patted dry (inside and out).

I then pre-heated it on a steel top hot plate while my bullet metal was melting.

The second cast I had keepers. I ran 21 lbs the first time and had less than a dozen rejects. The second time things went just as well - however, it took less time as I was up to speed as well as the mould.

These are WONDERFUL moulds - just as good as it gets!

Dale53

cast-n-blast
10-01-2010, 08:13 AM
Dale, received mine a few days ago! Great job again, my friend! Another treasure from Miha!

Trey45
10-01-2010, 12:36 PM
Mine came in today, Thanks to Mihec for producing yet another masterpiece of fine art. (to call these a mere mold just doesn't do them justice). And a Special Thanks to DALE53 for running this group buy! This is my 1st Mihec 4 cav. mold, but definitely not my last! This thing is a true work of art.

http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y243/SimonLegree/MP45.jpg

As a machinist I can tell you, that this work was done by an artist.

Bodydoc447
10-03-2010, 07:11 PM
I can't hardly stand the wait for my mould to get here!! I know, I know...patience is a virtue. I'm just not feeling all that virtuous waiting for my mould to arrive. Keep them pictures coming!!!

Doc

Iowa Fox
10-03-2010, 11:26 PM
Nice looking pile of sized and lubed 45s Dale. What alloy were you using for your casting session as those are some really nice looking bullets. Thanks for all the pictures.

Dale53
10-03-2010, 11:58 PM
Iowa Fox;
Thanks for the kind words.

The alloy is WW's+2% tin (my "standard" revolver alloy). The bullet lube is Lars White Label Carnauba Red. The quality of these moulds make bullet casting EASY!

Love 'em![smilie=w:

Dale53

Iowa Fox
10-04-2010, 12:35 PM
Thanks Dale,

I really appreciate all your posts and the information you share with us.

MiHec
10-05-2010, 02:45 AM
I have some over order molds. Please PM me if you want one

rollmyown
10-05-2010, 03:44 AM
Nice work Dale. Looks like that mould casts as good as it looks!

pls1911
10-07-2010, 11:47 PM
The references to industrial art are understated. Beautiful material, precisly executed.
I have too many molds to count, sourced from about every domestic producer.
None come close to the beauty of the work on this mold, and from the reports above, they cast even better than they look.
I salute the craftsmanship.
Anyone interested in honchoing a buy for a four cavity RCBS FPGC .30-180 grain mold? .3105?
Or Optimized, an RCBS body with a Ranch Dog profile nose, still about 180 grains?

Butler Ford
10-13-2010, 08:17 PM
Somehow missed this GB. When I saw Dale's results, I went looking for left overs. Ordered on Wednesday and had it in hand the next Wednesday. I've only been casting for a few years but have never cast with anything like this mold. Open the mold, MAYBE give a little shake and start over. Mihec has a new fan and I'll be saving my lunch money for another soon.
It is truely a work of art.

Dale53
10-13-2010, 08:43 PM
Just in case some of you might have missed it - I am running another group buy for a MiHec four cavity brass mould for the H&G #503 (.44 caliber 250+ gr Keith bullet). You'll find it here:

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?t=95468

FWIW
Dale53

eastwa
11-17-2010, 01:25 PM
I have some over order molds. Please PM me if you want one

I sent a PM to MiHec to see if he still has an extra one laying around.
I need to check in here more often...

MiHec
11-18-2010, 03:54 AM
At this time - NO 4 cavity molds on hand :roll: