PDA

View Full Version : Help - My Sig thinks it's a Glock!!!

ETG
09-26-2010, 01:12 AM
I have had this SigPro 2340 for a couple of years but only put a couple of clips through it when I got it in trade. The gun has no finish wear and looks hardly used. Took it out today with some factory loads and some hand loads. Fired a couple of clips of factory through it and the gun jammed - spent case caught in the ejection port and the primer had jammed the slide - primer blew right out. the cart had a huge bulge like a glock only bigger. Picked up the other cases and they were all similar. Tried the hand loads to see if it was just hot loads from the factory. The hand loads are not as bad as the factory loads but still had a definite bulge. None of my other Sigs do this to the brass. Is this normal??? Some look like they were on the verge of rupturing.

http://members.cox.net/etgoddard/SIG357_1.jpg

shotman
09-26-2010, 01:28 AM
send it back to sig the 23 40 is junk but its not normal for that. when you get it back trade it for a good sig

9.3X62AL
09-26-2010, 01:46 AM
That degree of brass distention is EXCESSIVE, even in a 1st Generation Glock barrel. Whether it is caused by a faulty chamber or faulty ammo, DISCONTINUE USE and have a SIG armorer (at minimum) examine the pistol.

It is a 357 SIG, correct?

ETG
09-26-2010, 03:08 AM
It is a 357. I was rather dissapointed in the 2340. I have a 245, 239, and an old P6 and all are much higher quality than the 2340.

Bill*
09-26-2010, 11:04 AM
Looks like someone polished the feedramp--(with an angle grinder for welds):sad:

Dill45
09-26-2010, 04:01 PM
Yikes!!!

I have to say though, I picked up some 357 sig brass that was in the brass trash can at my range, and while it wasn't quite as bad as that, the case was blown out pretty bad.

357 Sigs known for doing that?

S.R.Custom
09-26-2010, 07:02 PM
I have had this SigPro 2340 for a couple of years but only put a couple of clips through it when I got it in trade...

Seeing how high up on the case the bulge is, I'm guessing the guy you got it from was a bit too aggressive in his polishing of the feed ramp.

ReloaderFred
09-27-2010, 12:31 AM
Dill45,

I have two 357 Sig pistols and neither does that with the brass. That barrel has some serious problems and is dangerous to shoot as it is.

My 357 Sig Springfield XD is super accurate and the brass doesn't swell at all at the base. I had a barrel in 357 Sig made for one of my Witness pistols and it's also very accurate and doesn't swell the brass at the base.

What is shown in the photos is not common with the 357 Sig cartridge, but is common with a firearm that someone did some damage to while trying to "improve" it.

Hope this helps.

Fred

HeavyMetal
09-27-2010, 12:50 AM
That is either one heck of a Boo- Boo by Sig QC or another "Gunsmidt" did a ramp job.

My guess is the ramp job.

If Sig fixes this for free you will be one lucky dude! I think you got a new barel in your future!

ETG
09-27-2010, 02:19 AM
Yeah, I have come to the conclusion it's going to need a new barrel. Now have to decide whether to just buy a new barrel or send it to Sig and end up having to pay $50 shipping (both ways), the service fee and the price of a barrel. I don't think Sig would replace it. Whoever did it reblued the barrel after they ruined it.

S.R.Custom
09-27-2010, 08:54 AM
Just order a new barrel. Sigs are manufactured such that they require no individual fitting, so you gain nothing by sending the gun in.

9.3X62AL
09-27-2010, 12:44 PM
What S.R. Custom said. Once in a great while, replacement barrels need a small bit of fitting. This is something a local SIG-Sauer armorer can handle easily, if needed. 95% are drop-in fit, though.

If the feed ramp on the barrel got shade-tree treatment, who knows what other stupidities were attempted. I would have the armorer take a careful look at the pistol.

exile
09-28-2010, 02:02 AM
I load for my Glock 32 (medium frame .357 Sig) and it does not do that. Even my Glock 23 barrel does not bulge that much. Not a good sign.

exile