PDA

View Full Version : Everlast lead

UNIQUEDOT
09-25-2010, 08:48 PM
Several years ago someone gave me some everlast ankle weights and being a caster i took the lead out of them. These are old and i am assuming the bars are pure lead since they can be scratched with a fingernail. For fear they may have zinc or other junk metal i have never alloyed them. These are round bars of i think a lb. each with EVERLAST stamped into them. Does anyone know if these are pure lead? Are they poisonous to the bullet caster? I would assume they they don't have any zinc in them because they are soft, but better safe than sorry since i could end up messing up a lot of lead/tin/antimony.

lwknight
09-25-2010, 09:42 PM
Even tiny amounts of zinc will make lead noticeably harder than pure. It can even be brittle.
Only poisonous if you ingest it by being careless and eating with leady hands or such the likes.

UNIQUEDOT
09-25-2010, 11:25 PM
Only poisonous if you ingest it by being careless and eating with leady hands or such the likes.

Thanks for the reply, btw i meant poison as in not filling out in the mold. :)

Firebricker
09-25-2010, 11:48 PM
Sound's like pure plus that would make sense because it's heavier than alloy. BTW welcome to the site any body that cut's open house hold stuff for the lead is good company in my book LOL. FB

a.squibload
09-26-2010, 04:13 AM
There's always the zinc test, if you have citric acid and salt.
http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?t=83978&highlight=citric+zinc+test
Sagacious said it might not work conclusively on lead with a small percent of zinc,
but I tried it on a zinc WW or two and it definitely bubbled.

Also try smacking with a hammer or bending in a vise, drop on floor for "thud" vs "ring", etc., comparing softness to a wheelweight which is harder.

From what you said
it sounds like lead...

cajun shooter
09-26-2010, 09:38 AM
Everlast is a sporting goods manufacturer of all sporting type equipment. They would not care about the make up as much as the correct weight. I would put my pot on the low setting and see after fluxing if you have any zinc floating around.

UNIQUEDOT
09-26-2010, 04:02 PM
It sure looks, feels, and sounds like pure lead but the thing that has always kept me from alloying it in with my other metal is the fact that everlast is stamped into them rather than cast into them. I just thought of a reason why that may be, it could be that they were simply made from the same molds and sold to different companies. Every time i have been in the shed casting bullets, i have had to look at them just sitting on the shelf for several years. I think it's time they got a makeover, and get sent downrange at high velocity! :)

lwknight
09-26-2010, 04:57 PM
10-4 on the makeover!!

Fixxah
09-26-2010, 05:06 PM
For two pounds it is not worth the chance of ruining a lot more metal. Toss it.

Echo
09-26-2010, 05:39 PM
Mold up some plinkers...

UNIQUEDOT
09-26-2010, 08:23 PM
For two pounds it is not worth the chance of ruining a lot more metal. Toss it.

I just checked and i actually have twenty of these bars. No way can i toss them, it goes against the nature of casting.

jsizemore
09-26-2010, 08:31 PM
I just checked and i actually have twenty of these bars. No way can i toss them, it goes against the nature of casting.

Or walking past a WW laying in the parking lot.

UNIQUEDOT
09-26-2010, 11:03 PM
Or walking past a WW laying in the parking lot.

Yep, people look at me strange in parking lots when i stop to pick up a ww and stick it in my pocket.

a.squibload
09-27-2010, 04:50 AM
My big haul last week: 3 WWs.

I would maybe melt the Everlast weights separate in an old pot, see how it goes.
If they cast they cast, send 'em flyin'!

cajun shooter
09-29-2010, 12:40 PM
What harm would come if you do as has been posted and as I stated in a earlier post by melting them by themselves. A low temp melt will show if it's pure lead as it will all be in liquid form. If you flux and some material stays floating then it is zinc or another type alloy. Dip it out and use the pure left behind. Simple to do.