PDA

View Full Version : S&W Target 1955 rear sights

hicard
09-25-2010, 07:32 PM
Anyone know where I could get a complete rear sight assembly fo a 1955 Target 45 ACP?

TDC
09-26-2010, 03:38 PM
Anyone know where I could get a complete rear sight assembly fo a 1955 Target 45 ACP?

hicard,

Mod.25-2 1955 Target revolvers differ from other S&W "N" frames in that they were standard with no white outline blade and a "Patridge" front sight. Most any N frame rear sight assembly such as those found on a more common Mod. 27/28 should be identical, (especially a 6 or 6 1/2" model) Finding the assembly without a white outline will be the challenge..

I think I'd expand your search by asking for a Mod.27/28 rear assembly as those models are so much more common... and unless someone corrects me ... are the same.

hicard
09-26-2010, 04:57 PM
Thanks TDC, Trouble is, I don't have the gun. It is for sale at a hardware store and does't have a sight on it. I'm told the sight is different than standard N frame sights. If we are talking about just a white outline, I could go with it. I just need to know if I can get a sight before I think about a purchase.

Char-Gar
09-26-2010, 10:19 PM
The rear sights for N frames have changed over the years, in terms of hole spacing and the shape of the front. You should have no trouble finding a rear sight, no matter what the vintage. I have not checked lately but Millett used to sell good aftermarket sights that could be adapter to most any N frame.

The rear sight on a 1955 Target Model was no different from the rear sight on any other N frame of the same vintage. Whoever told you different was mistaken.

TDC
09-26-2010, 11:44 PM
Chargar is right.... I just double checked my 25-2 1955 and it is identical to my 27's. The only difference my 29's and 57's have is the white outline rear blade so most any N frame sights should fit. I can't speak for later N frames because my collection ends with the pinned and recessed "pre '82" models....

A lot of Bomar type rib sights with bull barrels were put on Mod. 28's in the past. There should be quite a few original rear sight assemblies hidden away in reloading rooms... I'd also check with some older gunsmiths who have serviced large PDs...

hicard
09-27-2010, 12:23 AM
Thanks guys for the information. I might have to pick the gun up and see if I can salvage it.

HeavyMetal
09-27-2010, 12:57 AM
Contact Gun Parts, AKA Numrich about this part. Some times they have a small stock of certain parts but don't catalog them because it's to much hassle.

Charger is correct Millett used to stock an N frame sight with no mounting hole so you could adapt as needed. Sadly Millett is out of the pistol sight business since Tom died and his brother sold the business to a scope making firm that had no interest in pistol stuff.

Any Millett stuff you find will be treasure shortly.

Bret4207
09-27-2010, 07:56 AM
If the price is decent you'd better grab it. I let one get away and still kick myself.

TDC
09-28-2010, 04:15 PM
Suggestions for aftermarket sights are a valid option. But .... if you do buy this revolver I'd certainly at least consider restoring it to original condition because they are comparatively uncommon and a much desired firearm by many.

Having a "stock" Mod. 25-2 45 ACP/AR 1955 could have stronger collector value should you decide to sell it later. There aren't many of this particular model floating around today...