PDA

View Full Version : Caw ....... caw ........ caw ........... CAW!!!

Three44s
09-25-2010, 10:09 AM
Caw ........ caw ...........

.................................................. ..........

Caw ......... caw ............

Translation: I'm crowing about something .........

This spring I sprung for a very slightly used Shaw .338-06 barrel for a Savage 110 action.

A certain most gracious member here took me under his wing and sent much advice and even boolit care packages and a bag of gas checks .......

I thank him once again for his kindness and thoughtfulness!

And though I have not had much time to work with all these goodies, I bought a stash of checks for .338, a Lyman sizer die and also Lee's 2 cavity mold.

With zero experience at rifle casting, I cast a bunch of WW plus a percent of tin or so and lubrisized them.

Now I am quite certain that the .35 Whelen is a grand poopaw and am in no way wanting to dimish it's supremecy ............

.......... I do want to draw attention to the also grand .338-06!!!

I feel it's overlooked to some extent! For the limited time I have been able to spend on this project coupled with my inexperience with rifle casting ...... I'd say I've managed to get a real tiger by the tail!!!

In short, I am having so much fun with the .338-06 and boolits that my revolvers are turning green with envy!!!

Three 44s

Jack Stanley
09-25-2010, 07:44 PM
Envy ??? that's an easy fix , make up a big ol' revolver chambered for the 338-06 !

Jack :kidding:

TCLouis
09-25-2010, 10:18 PM
The Lee C338-220 shoots very well out of my 338 Mag also.
Seems to be a well designed boolit.

Three44s
09-26-2010, 09:37 AM
Jack,

Trust me ....... with 250 jwords at normal velocity ..... in rifle form it hurts on both ends ....

Contemplating a handgun ........ hurts .......... LOL!

TCLouis,

That's very good news because just before I acquired the .338-06 barrel ...... I bought a .338 win mag barrel. I have not installed it yet much less tried it out so knowing there's a more than fair chance it might also shoot that Lee boolit well is a bonus!

Best regards

Three 44s