PDA

View Full Version : Winchester 1892 Question

DCP
09-25-2010, 09:25 AM
I have a Winchester 1892 made in 1903 ( nice condition) 38-40

It has very fine front sight .040 :veryconfu

Rear sight is .040 wide and deep in a half moon shape :veryconfu

The only thing that comes to mind is aim small miss small :bigsmyl2:

What have you wonderful people done to make them better ?

Thanks for any help

cwskirmisher
09-25-2010, 10:36 AM
So... what is the question?

DCP
09-25-2010, 11:23 AM
You must be under 40 and a college graduated or you could "see" the question

Thanks anyway

So... what is the question?

MakeMineA10mm
09-25-2010, 01:50 PM
Why don't you do what you did to your hi-wall and put a modern, bell-objective scope on it?? :groner:

;)

First, let's clean it. Then, we'll get some ammo loaded for it (where the bullets don't telescope back into the case :p ). THEN, we'll see how bad your eyesight is...

I'll take you over to the pistol range; moving the targets closer is just as effective as slapping a big fat scope on there!!

By the way, I ran across what few 44-40 brass I still have. We'll look at what brass you've got and go from there.

McLintock
09-25-2010, 02:09 PM
Put a tang sight on it like the Marbles adjustable and it'll solve everything. They make them for the older Winchesters and that'll make it a 100 yard or more gun easily, even with older eyes.
McLintock

LVRFAN
09-25-2010, 05:39 PM
I agree with CW- and I am OVER 40, and a college graduate- that is not a question. I guess we are not as "edumacated" as u are.

DCP
09-25-2010, 06:07 PM
If you cant tell by now from the other 2 posts what the question is about.
I dont think you will ever (SEE) IT[smilie=s:

Thanks again

I agree with CW- and I am OVER 40, and a college graduate- that is not a question. I guess we are not as "edumacated" as u are.

HamGunner
09-25-2010, 10:31 PM
Well, I had a good suggestion for sights for older eyes and it works great for mine, but have decided to keep it to myself.

Buckshot
09-26-2010, 01:40 AM
...............Besides tang sights Marbles and others make new front sight's and rear barrel mounted sights in styles and sizes that should rectify ANY open sight issues. Front sights of acending heights, bead OD's, and bead inserts materials. Rear barrel mounted sights with folding leafs, adjustable leafs for windage and fine tuning elevation, etc. The variety is truly almost without end.

...............Buckshot

NickSS
09-26-2010, 04:28 AM
I would mount a marbles tang sight and a bigger fromt bead sight so that old eyes can see them. I have a little trouble with that myself and that is what I did to a model 94 38-55 I have.

missionary5155
09-26-2010, 06:37 AM
Good morning
Shoot shot, then you do not have to aim.

DCP
09-26-2010, 08:26 AM
I (SEE) lol[smilie=w:

well, i had a good suggestion for sights for older eyes and it works great for mine, but have decided to keep it to myself.

DCP
09-26-2010, 08:31 AM
Thanks to all that have constructively contributed.

That is what this site is all about

Again a big thank you

Jack Stanley
09-26-2010, 09:40 AM
I have a twenty-two single shot with a similar problem . My fix was to file the rear sight notch a bit wider . Of course my rifle was a forty dollar junk store special and not a collectors item and it is easier to use .

Jack

HamGunner
09-29-2010, 01:49 AM
I guess I just do not understand the humor of the smart remarks made to the ones asking about what your question was. I understood what was required even if the question was not asked. But oh well. I suppose I must be slow to understand humor from some parts of the country.

My cure was to place a peep sight blade in my rear sight and then use Firesights for the front sight. Now, no problems seeing my sights. No problems hitting what I am aiming at. It worked for me.

rhead
09-29-2010, 05:39 AM
I too can read the minds of those that imply unasked questions. I see no reason to not expect the same courtesy from those not asking them. Read my mind for the solution.:smile:

DCP
09-29-2010, 08:23 AM
What have you wonderful people done to make them better ?

The leaf sights on this 1892 are one of the smallest I have ever seen on a rifle

They are very difficult to SEE.

Hope this helps

cwskirmisher
09-30-2010, 08:35 AM
If you cant tell by now from the other 2 posts what the question is about.
I dont think you will ever (SEE) IT[smilie=s:

Thanks again

Very interesting sarcasm. I noticed from your ORIGINAL post, that you have edited it to include the question now being asked:

"What have you wonderful people done to make them better?
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Last edited by dcp; Yesterday at 08:24 AM. "

Without the question, one MIGHT assume that you were asking about sighting, but those of us uneducated over 40 boobs who didn't quite know only asked for clarification so we might suggest a solution. So now you go back and play tricks by insterting a question into the original post. I guess those of us old idiots could never have figured that out. Nice.

Good luck with the '94. Perhaps you might sell it to finance something with a scope.:oops:

DCP
09-30-2010, 09:43 AM
Its a 1892

:holysheep
I wasnt trying to play any tricks.
I guess you just cant make some people happy. [smilie=b:

You have a great day:drinks:

Very interesting sarcasm. I noticed from your ORIGINAL post, that you have edited it to include the question now being asked:

"What have you wonderful people done to make them better?
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Last edited by dcp; Yesterday at 08:24 AM. "

Without the question, one MIGHT assume that you were asking about sighting, but those of us uneducated over 40 boobs who didn't quite know only asked for clarification so we might suggest a solution. So now you go back and play tricks by insterting a question into the original post. I guess those of us old idiots could never have figured that out. Nice.

Good luck with the '94. Perhaps you might sell it to finance something with a scope.:oops:

KirkD
09-30-2010, 02:27 PM
I have a 38-55 that had such a thin front sight that I was never sure exactly where the top was, so I got vertical stringing. I was able to purchase a repro sight that was thicker. I've also found that if the notch in the rear sight is too tiny, it makes for pretty slow target acquisition. My solution is to take a fine file that has a triangular cross section and widen the notch in the rear sight to get a V-notch that is wide enough to show a little light on either side of the front sight tip. One other thing that I have done, which has really helped and requires no modifications to the rifle, is to buy a sheet of round 1/4" stickers at the office supply store and with a very fine punch, punch a 1/32" hole in the center of them. Each time I go shooting or hunting, I peel and stick one to the lens of my glasses, just slightly left of center (I'm right-eyed), like a stick-on peep sight. This really sharpens iron sights way up, both front and back.

Newtire
09-30-2010, 11:27 PM
I have a '92 and I can hit great with it but what's up with the wise guy remarks dcp? The trick is to put bullets or boolits in it.

DCP
10-02-2010, 06:10 PM
I want to apologize if I offended anybody.

I was having a bad week my style and humor doesn’t come across well on the Internet.

I am still looking for advice on 1892.

I would like a sight that looks appropriate, but are easy to see

MakeMineA10mm
10-04-2010, 09:40 PM
That's a contrite apology; very nice. :drinks:

I'd stick with the advice above about using a tang-mounted peep sight. However, that doesn't fix the front sight issue. I think a lot of this depends on how worried you are about keeping the rifle as original as possible. Pulling the sights completely off and putting something else on is going to have an effect on value. If it were me, I'd find some high-contrast targets (not black bullseyes), like the red-on-white targets that Cheaper Than Dirt sells, and then shoot at 100 yards or less.