PDA

View Full Version : Rounding up Wild Wheel Weights

Charlie Two Tracks
09-24-2010, 07:49 PM
I usually don't do this good, but today I collected over a pound of wild WW. I stopped at two off ramps on I-80 and right by the stop sign and middle island I found a fair amount. At a truck stop I found a few at the entrance and where the trucks park. I find most of them right where the truck or car would stop when getting off the interstate or road. It's kind of fun and I am helping clean up the earth from the terrible, noxious wheel weights.:grin:

280Ackley
09-24-2010, 08:24 PM
Ramps are great places, so are roads with lots of potholes. I survey for Nebraska Dept of Roads and spend a lot of time walking shoulders and ramps. Aways keep my eyes open. Probably pick up 25lbs a year that way.

RP
09-24-2010, 09:15 PM
Thanks guys for posting this now my wife dont think iam a nut for stopping at a tire store and asking about WWs. You Two make me look normal.

geargnasher
09-24-2010, 10:28 PM
My wife knows I'm nuts. She even brought me a wheel weight the other day that she saw in the road!

I pick up quite a few from the roads myself.

Gear

2wheelDuke
09-24-2010, 11:04 PM
I keep an eye out for them on some of my runs and cycling trips. I've got a coffee can started, but it's only got a couple handfuls so far.

Rangefinder
09-25-2010, 10:31 AM
My wife knows I'm nuts.....

Now I feel better--I'm pretty sure mine believes I need medication (I DO--it's an inhalant called aroma of burning powder :D)

The road in front of our house is pretty washboarded most times---See a WW on our walks? I grab it. My wife doesn't say a word anymore.... :D So long as they don't end up in the wash anyway...

Ohio Rusty
09-25-2010, 12:58 PM
I have occasionally gotten a few to a handful at busy intersections. I saw a HUGE WW last week at an intersection, and made a mental note on the way home to pull over and get it. Get it I did ...It is one of the biggest semi-truck WW's I've ever seen !! It was shiny sliver, thick and was at least 6 inches long. But something didn't jive ..... It had been run over a few times and was still bent like new. Normally a WW will flatten or straighten out from the weight of a car. When I got back into the car, I tested this huge honkin' WW with my knife ...... It wouldn't hardly scratch or cut !! No wonder it wasn't bent. I found the biggest honkin' zinker ever found !! I'll add that to my other zinkers I'm saving and melt them down to make fishing lues out of. I actually wish I had a whole bucketfull of zinkers as I think they will make good fishing equipment, and it's no big deal if they break off and end up on the bottom of the lake .....
Ohio Rusty ><>

a.squibload
09-29-2010, 04:41 AM
My wife knows I'm nuts. She even brought me a wheel weight the other day that she saw in the road!

Oh no!
Addictive AND contagious!