PDA

View Full Version : Hoch GC mould for 45-70?

Tatume
09-24-2010, 07:20 PM
Hello Folks,

I'm considering the purchase of a Hoch nose-pour mould for the 45-70. My preference is for gas checked bullets. Is there any advantage to the Hoch over an LBT mould if gas checks are to be used?

In a related question, have any of you achieved truly gilt-edged accuracy with plain based bullets in this cartridge, at speeds of 1800 fps or above? Were any special techniques necessary, such as card wads or grease cookies?

Take care, Tom

Good Cheer
09-24-2010, 07:24 PM
My 1981 .358 Hoch mold that was made to my drawing is still as good as the day I received it.
So, is my 8mm mold from the the same time.

cajun shooter
09-25-2010, 07:57 AM
Dave Farmer of Hoch molds is one very talented person.

Von Gruff
09-25-2010, 04:44 PM
Dave Farmer does make a very good mold as evidenced by the one he made (to my own design) for my 404 Jeffery,......HOWEVER.......he was not very honest about delivery nor did he send the top punch I payed for.

Von Gruff.

Tatume
09-25-2010, 05:52 PM
But, my question is: is there any advantage to a nose-pour mould if a gas check design is used?

HORNET
09-27-2010, 02:37 PM
There are some people involved in very serious competition shooting that feel that the advantages of nose-pour molds still apply with gas check designs. One of the main claims is that keeps any shrinkage voids smaller and more centered on the axis of rotation. Another advantage is that it supposedly provides a base for the gas check to press against that is more "square" to the axis of rotation. I don't know if the base is actually any more square than any other lathe-cut mold. CBA match records do not show any clear correlation with the competitors winning either way.
BTW, 1800 fps is about the limit for really gilt-edge accuracy with plain-based boolits in either case and is well past what my shoulder will withstand for a course of fire with a .45-70
...ouchies!!

Doc Highwall
09-27-2010, 02:46 PM
Take into consideration that millions of buffalo were killed with a bullet at 1200-1300+ FPS I would ask what is the purpose for this bullet and what kind of gun and powder black or smokeless.

Tatume
09-27-2010, 05:05 PM
Thanks Rick, that is useful information. I think I'll stick with gas check bullets. I'm also thinking I may just have Veral Smith make another mould for me, as I've had very good results with many of his moulds already, including in this caliber. As far as recoil is concerned, I only shoot 100 or so at a time, and only once per week, so they don't really get to me.