PDA

View Full Version : Cavity fill out, best material.

Changeling
09-24-2010, 02:14 PM
What is the best mold material to use when making a mold with small grease groves, to fill out correctly are having the best chance to fill correctly I should say. Please say why you think so.

I don't know if making small grease groves gives the mold maker a fit or not so a comment here would be helpful if you happen to know.

mooman76
09-24-2010, 02:47 PM
I don't really think it matters all that much which material you use. They are different of coarse so variations need to be used when casting. Sometimes you need to change up even with the same material but different moulds. Mostly temperature but there are others.

BABore
09-24-2010, 03:04 PM
Nope, material won't matter. How you design the grooves and how you plan to machine the cutting tool will.

Changeling
09-24-2010, 06:59 PM
Nope, material won't matter. How you design the grooves and how you plan to machine the cutting tool will.

Thank you BABore, I won't be the machinist so I'll take it up with him/her when the time comes. I prefer cast iron so I'll take it from there. Thanks for the reply.

Bret4207
09-25-2010, 07:48 AM
Consider brass. Easiest casting moulds I've ever used, no rust, tougher than aluminum, plus they shine up great.

Changeling
09-25-2010, 01:55 PM
Consider brass. Easiest casting moulds I've ever used, no rust, tougher than aluminum, plus they shine up great.

Bret I'll think about it, I'm not going to dismiss any ideas right now.

runfiverun
09-25-2010, 08:34 PM
the trick will be in the venting, not the material used.

Changeling
09-28-2010, 04:24 PM
the trick will be in the venting, not the material used.

I don't understand what you are trying to tell me?

JSnover
09-28-2010, 04:29 PM
As the lead fills the mold the air needs to get out. Don't depend on the bubbles floating to the top.

liljohnnie
09-28-2010, 06:04 PM
As the lead fills the mold the air needs to get out. Don't depend on the bubbles floating to the top.
Yup, and if you look at any stock mold,the lines cut in the interior faces of it aren't just for show.:lovebooli