PDA

View Full Version : pure lead muffin ingots

bigjake
09-24-2010, 07:34 AM
I got a bunch of WW's for free [at least 1/3 were zinc or Fe] anyway, i separated the clip-ons from the stick-ons. I read here that the stick-ons are pure. So when I smelted the stick-ons and they cooled, the center of the muffin ingot sunk. the clip-on ingots stayed flat on top.
Anyone know the reason?

Also, what should i do with the pure lead? its too soft for my 44 mag.

high standard 40
09-24-2010, 08:25 AM
Most...not all...lead stick-on weights are pure lead. The sinking in the middle is normal for pure and near pure alloys. As I see it this is caused by the cooling of the ingot from the outside , in. The outer edges of the ingot cool and solidify first and draw down the center. Pure lead will cast smaller diameter than harder alloys when casting bullets. This same principle makes the ingots sink in the middle as the ingot shrinks while cooling. My take on it anyway. Long story short, don't worry about it. It's not an issue.

It will likely be too soft for 44mag at anything more than very modest velocity. Mixing with clip on 50/50 and water dropping will work.

lwknight
09-24-2010, 11:53 AM
Lead shrinks when it cools. Pure lead ingots cave in some.
Antimony grows when it sets up. It counteracts the lead shrinkage and stops the caving in effect.

fredj338
09-24-2010, 05:18 PM
I got a bunch of WW's for free [at least 1/3 were zinc or Fe] anyway, i separated the clip-ons from the stick-ons. I read here that the stick-ons are pure. So when I smelted the stick-ons and they cooled, the center of the muffin ingot sunk. the clip-on ingots stayed flat on top.
Anyone know the reason?

Also, what should i do with the pure lead? its too soft for my 44 mag.
Mix the pure 50/50 w/ the clip ons & they are fine for hte 44mag to 1200fps. Water drop & they are good to 1400fps+.

Bloodman14
09-26-2010, 12:54 PM
Does pewter shrink or grow when it cools? I scored several pieces at an outdoor flea market, and want to smelt and cast into ingots for now. What's the best use for pewter and at what ratio?

lwknight
09-26-2010, 02:45 PM
Use it the same as pure tin. It shrinks slightly as it cools.

mold maker
09-26-2010, 03:51 PM
CAUTION.. some stick on WWs are now made of zinc. What I have seen are marked Zn.
If in doubt crush from the edges with plires. Lead squeezes easy, while iron and zinc are extremely hard to crush,