For the life of me , I can't remember the name

But a co worker has one that is in decent shape

But it needs a nipple
Anyone have a clue where to get one ?

John

Mk42gunner
09-24-2010, 01:34 AM
Shikari runs through my mind.

If it needs a special type of nipple, I would order one for one of the new NEF's. I have ordered springs, firing pins and transfer bars for an older H&R by using the newer part numbers, from Brownell's.

Robert

roverboy
09-24-2010, 08:19 AM
Do you have any idea what thread size the nipple is? It may be a standard size like T/C. I can't remember off hand what the thread size is on a T/C. The imported ML rifles are a metric thread 6mm x something. [B]If you have a standard size try it.

jhrosier
09-24-2010, 09:06 AM
The H&R muzzle loader was the "Huntsman."
I think that the thread size of the nipple was 1/4-28.

Jack

roverboy
09-24-2010, 09:56 AM
The H&R muzzle loader was the "Huntsman."
I think that the thread size of the nipple was 1/4-28.

Jack

Bingo. I was racking my brain trying to remember what the thread pitch was. Thats a standard size. Shouldn't be hard to find one.

Johnch
09-24-2010, 07:33 PM
Thanks
I have a number of TC nipples that are 1/4-28

Just hope what I have is the right length
Or we will be customizing a nipple

John

DIRT Farmer
09-24-2010, 08:49 PM
The nipple length brings up two saftey points with the huntsman.
!) There were "stories" about slam fires with the design but I have never heard of one confirmed.
2)The breach plug is a slip fit with O rings, in the case of a slow fire and an open action there is nothing to stop the breach plug from leaving at a high rate of speed, at least this was the way the one I had worked.

jhrosier
09-24-2010, 09:04 PM
The nipple length brings up two saftey points with the huntsman.
!) There were "stories" about slam fires with the design but I have never heard of one confirmed.
2)The breach plug is a slip fit with O rings, in the case of a slow fire and an open action there is nothing to stop the breach plug from leaving at a high rate of speed, at least this was the way the one I had worked.

Slam fires are caused by fouling holding the firing pin in the extended position when the breech is closed.
It is very important to be absolutely sure that the firing pin moves freely and retracts.

The later guns with the oring breech plug have a roll pin through the locking lug that (theoretically) prevents the breech from opening far enough for the breech plug to escape.

The earliest guns with the threaded plug are clearly safer.

Jack

RBak
09-25-2010, 05:33 PM
I just looked at "Hubbard Outdoor's" Nipple thread sizing chart and noticed, for the first time, something I had never paid any attention to before.

It lists H&R as; H&R Huntsman Adapter....1/4-28

Sounds like there is an "adapter" made to fit that gun that will allow you to use a 1/4-28 which is a standard / more common thread size for guns like T/C Hawken, Renegade, Pedersoli, Browning, and several Navy Arms guns.

The reason I mention this is an acquaintance of mine, when I lived in Texas, had a H&R Huntsman, and I don't recall him ever saying anything about having to use any kind of adapter for his gun.

I'm not sure at all what this adapter thing is, and I have no clue where you might find one. I believe Warren is a Division of Hubbard Outdoor Products, but I couldn't find anything on line.

Sorry I wasn't much help.
However, in view of all that I said here, I would be tempted to just try a 1/4-28...be very careful, don't force anything or cross-thread the nipple, but if it should fit, snug up good, and there is good reason to think it just might, you'll be okay.

Russ

jhrosier
09-25-2010, 05:52 PM
I have an adapter for mine that allows the use of #209 shotgun primers.......?

Jack

RBak
09-25-2010, 05:59 PM

Jack

You know, I kinda thought of that which made me think the thread just might accept a 1/4-28 nipple.

Will yours take a regular 1/4-28 nipple?

Russ

wgr
09-27-2010, 12:00 AM

Jack
did the same thing to mine but i threaded the breech and made a breech plug that screwed in and shoots a 209primer