PDA

View Full Version : Fussy bullets re checks.

JeffinNZ
09-23-2010, 07:01 PM
Team.

Do any of you have bullets that prefer one brand of check over another? My Lyman 225462 has a very long shank, about twice that of the bullets in the catalogs. It has a distinct preference for the old Lyman brass slip on checks or my own Freechex. It is not so fond of Hornady crimp on checks.

I got to wondering if the crimping of the Hornady might be generating enough force to distort the bullet.

beagle
09-25-2010, 06:50 PM
Jeff...that's highly possible. I found out I was bending the noses on RCBS 22-55-SPs and on some of the .25 caliber stuff I was doing to the point where you could see a wobble when you rolled a sized bullet across glass.

Now, I can't determine whether it was the GC seating effort, miss alignment of the ram on my sizer or just plain distortion caused by sizing.

About this time, we started messing with an adapter to adapt regular sizing dies to a system similar to Lee's push thru sizer with an additional step, base first back through the die in a lubricator/sizer for lube and the problem was history./beagle