PDA

View Full Version : Cheap Ruger

white eagle
09-23-2010, 06:16 PM
went out shooting my Ruger Blackhawk 45 colt today and second shot pulled the trigger and the barrel and cylinder fell forward leaving me with the grip in my hand
What a P.O.S
c'mon is that the kinda Sheeet Ruger puts out
Aluminum belongs in beer cans not in handguns :groner:

Catshooter
09-23-2010, 07:54 PM
White eagle,

I have read that that is a not uncommon occurence when the sixgun has seen a number of 300 (or higher) grain heavy loads.

Cat

gon2shoot
09-23-2010, 08:23 PM
ya got pics?

AnthonyB
09-23-2010, 08:28 PM
I would like to see pictures as well. Tony

tek4260
09-23-2010, 08:35 PM
I'll have to look it up, but I believe Linebaugh did some tests and was unable to break one with only 1 screw holding it on and shooting stout loads. Seems odd yours separated.

white eagle
09-23-2010, 08:38 PM
is that something that Ruger takes care of (responsibility for)
If they just replace the grip frame with another al-can one forget it brother !

jhrosier
09-23-2010, 08:55 PM
I expect that Ruger will stand behind their products.

I've shot many thousands of pretty stout loads through my Ruger .44s and .45s and not had any failures.

It is a good idea to check the screws for tightness from time to time.

Jack

TCLouis
09-23-2010, 09:03 PM
Like others I would like a picture

and even more, I would like to hear the complete story,

New gun?

Old gun someone forgot to put the screws back in the grip frame?

Grip frame broke ? ? ?

Load?

Number of rounds through the gun?

Curious minds are full of questions!

Rico1950
09-23-2010, 09:06 PM
It is a good idea to check the screws for tightness from time to time.

I'll Second that!!!!!

white eagle
09-23-2010, 09:08 PM
holy sheet the screws were tight
the cast aluminum is junk
Broke below the screws
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v730/kempobb/brokengun-1.jpg,
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v730/kempobb/brokengun3.jpg,
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v730/kempobb/brokengun.jpg

white eagle
09-23-2010, 09:15 PM
as you can see the screws are tight

Heavy lead
09-23-2010, 09:18 PM
All my aluminum frames have been replaced with Bisley grips. I feel your pain.

jhrosier
09-23-2010, 09:39 PM
Wow !

I've not seen a grip frame failure like that before.

Ruger will probably pay for shipping both ways.

Jack

Three-Fifty-Seven
09-23-2010, 09:42 PM
I thought guns were made out of steel . . .? All my Ruger are stainless steel! (Well except for the 10/22)

454PB
09-23-2010, 10:27 PM
Were these some of Linebaugh's loads?

Dennis Eugene
09-23-2010, 10:38 PM
shucks that revolver was just embarrassed to be wearing them grips and got rid of 'em the only way it could. Dennis

Az Rick
09-23-2010, 10:40 PM
I would think Ruger will stand behind that after they inspect it, As long as it doesn't show signs of abuse. Did you buy the gun new or used, never know how a previous owner used it or abused it. I've owned a bunch of Rugers and still have some, never a problem. Maybe you could talk them into a steel frame from a SBH or a Bisley, I think those are all steel guns. Good luck let us know how you make out with them.

Rick

jmsj
09-23-2010, 11:09 PM
white eagle,
Sorry to hear about your pistol, I've never seen a Ruger break like that before.
I would hope Ruger will repair it for you. I own more Rugers than anything else and have never had a problem with any of them. looks like you might have gotton a bad casting.

shooting on a shoestring
09-23-2010, 11:24 PM
Looks familiar. Happened to me a couple of years ago. Called Ruger, they wanted to sell me another steel frame in the white for something over $100, I declined. When I got through being mad, I was able to purchase a brass grip frame from a gentleman on this board. Spent a couple of hours filing, fitting and now I have a dandy .45 Colt BH. Looks great, feels better. I've also refrained from buying anymore aluminum grip framed Blackhawks. I have since bought a SS BH in .357...but thats another story.

Yep, bottom line, the .45 Colt is a bit much for the aluminum grip frame, screws tight doesn't matter, they will break.

shunka
09-23-2010, 11:32 PM
If you are at all handy with a hacksaw and file, Here is an inexpensive solution to your woes, and only $5 !

http://www.gunpartscorp.com/catalog/Detail.aspx?pid=537900&catid=3813

tek4260
09-23-2010, 11:50 PM
I agree with the bad casting theory. Call Ruger and explain. They may just send you a frame and you can be back in business in a few minutes. But alas, they will probably want the whole revolver back and you will be without it for a few weeks while they spend the 5 minutes screwing another grip frame on it.

home in oz
09-23-2010, 11:50 PM
Who would have thought it would break?

2ndAmendmentNut
09-24-2010, 12:01 AM
Give Ruger a call they will fix it up for you and it will be free. Just don’t say a thing about reloads!!! Tell them you where using factory stuff. I agree it looks like a casting flaw in the grip. No sane reload would have done that. BTW what load was it?

9.3X62AL
09-24-2010, 12:04 AM
That is quite a sight. First I've actually seen a photo of, though rumors of similar occurrences have cropped up online previously. Sorry to learn of this, and I hope Ruger does the right things for the right reasons. I suspect they will, if only to prevent further posting of the pics online. :)

Lloyd Smale
09-24-2010, 05:20 AM
I know its happened before but its very rare. Im sure that when ruger casts 10s of thousands of aluminum grip frames occasionaly one gets out with a cast flaw. Ive personaly shot thousands of full power heavy bullet loads out of 45 colts and 44 mags with aluminum grip frames and have never had it happen to me. I also know of at least one 475 and one 500 linebaugh that were built using aluminum grip frames and both have held up just fine.

white eagle
09-24-2010, 09:16 AM
RUGER SUCKS !
I will never buy another Ruger product again
they no longer make the al-can grip handles thats the good news
the bad is they wanted me to pay for the grip handle pay to have it fit pay to have it finished pay to ship
now I don't mind paying but by the time I got done with that I could buy a real gun

Whitworth
09-24-2010, 09:22 AM
RUGER SUCKS !
the bad is they wanted me to pay for the grip handle pay to have it fit pay to have it finished pay to ship
now I don't mind paying but by the time I got done with that I could buy a real gun

Like what, a Taurus? :bigsmyl2:

cptinjeff
09-24-2010, 09:40 AM
:bigsmyl2:

ummm...the ad said "HAMMER OF THOR"......not "HAMMER OF NAILS":kidding:

Sorry for your trouble. That is a bummer!

white eagle
09-24-2010, 10:50 AM
now I understand why John Linebaugh Gary Reeder charge so much for their conversions
they have to modify the base so heavily

tek4260
09-24-2010, 11:04 AM
I can't believe Ruger wants you to pay. Call back and explain the situation and I am sure they will send a call tag for it and repair it on their dime. If not, place a WTB ad in the classified section and get a takeoff frame for $25 or so. There isn't any fitting involved in replacing that grip frame.

Ruger still uses the aluminum XR3-RED on several of their firearms, although they now come with the lock feature.

I realize you want to bash Ruger, which is fine. Hell, I like to bash Taurus every chance I get. But, Ruger will fix that for free. :)

Hardcast416taylor
09-24-2010, 11:15 AM
Since you aren`t going to have another Ruger you can send me those "Uniroyal" grips so I can put them on my Ruger .45 LC/.45 acp convertable that I`ve shot all manner of loads thru since they announced this model years ago.Robert

white eagle
09-24-2010, 11:39 AM
sorry melted them

MT Gianni
09-24-2010, 11:49 AM
RUGER SUCKS !

Is this per a phone conversation or e-mail? Who did you speak with and what did you tell them?

buck1
09-24-2010, 12:32 PM
Thats so strange. I have never had to pay for a ruger repair. A buddy of mine blew up his mini 14 with poor reloading practices and ruger fixed it for free.
Every company has a idiot or two, I suspect thats who you were unlucky enugh to get.
Ask for a supervisor, that may get things moving. I am a die hard ruger fan , but I dont blame you as I would be mad too.

bigboredad
09-24-2010, 12:44 PM
well if you don't want the ruger I'd be happy to take it off your hands

DanWalker
09-24-2010, 01:24 PM
Me too. No sense continuing to suffer the misery of owning such a ***. I'll offer $100 for it right now.

bob208
09-24-2010, 05:35 PM
ruger has let me down too. i keep buying their guns waiting for one to have a problem so i can bitch all over the place . but they just keep shooting.

i see the gun has a non standard barrel length. what else was worked on. did some one do the nail hammering with it?

crabo
09-24-2010, 06:18 PM
Soooooo, how did it feel in your hand, when that happened? Did it break clean and the barrel fall on the ground, or did you finish the job on the loading bench?

jhrosier
09-24-2010, 06:22 PM
Is it chilly in here, or is it just me?

Cast Boolits is usually a bit more friendly and sympathetic to fellow gunnies with problems.

Just sayin'....

Jack

Three-Fifty-Seven
09-24-2010, 06:59 PM
Is it chilly in here, or is it just me?

Cast Boolits is usually a bit more friendly and sympathetic to fellow gunnies with problems.

Just sayin'....

Jack

I don't think it is so chilly . . . Yes it could be more sympathetic, but were still missing information that has been asked a few times . . .

I didn't really realize that they made "real" guns out of AL! (I only thought those little belly guns they did that too . . .)

White Eagle

1. Did you buy it new?

2. What load did you shoot in it. (Those two shots) Was this the only time you shot it?

3. Did it come with those grips? (They would have covered up stress cracks)

I have a friend that is an engineer for the DA line there, I can ask him for help if you want me to contact him . . .

white eagle
09-24-2010, 07:39 PM
No I bought it second hand
I have been shooting that load and different loads since I bought it in June
I appreciate all your help but I will get a hold of Ruger again after I cool down about it

Three-Fifty-Seven
09-24-2010, 09:01 PM
So what was your load?

donjose
09-24-2010, 09:35 PM
If it was a 44 mag it never would have happened since 44 loads dont make big enough holes:)
Seem that 45's make big hole's in frames as well.

[smilie=w:

Jason

tek4260
09-24-2010, 10:38 PM
White Eagle, I realize I have been a bit rough about Ruger not fixing it. I believe they will. If they don't, I have a grip frame I'll send you to get you back shooting. It is an older anodized frame that I was going to strip and polish, but the grips you use will cover it and it shouldn't look too bad. If you need it, PM your address and I'll drop it in the mail.

Thomas

white eagle
09-24-2010, 11:00 PM
no sweat brother
thanks for the offer

nicholst55
09-24-2010, 11:50 PM
I can certainly empathize with you, White Eagle. I have heard of this happening before, but this is the first time I've seen pix. I can see how you'd be upset.

May I offer a suggestion or two? First, calm down; it's bad for your heart. Next, call Ruger Customer Service and explain what happened. Be nice, crack a joke or two. Ask the nice person for a call tag, so that UPS will ship it back on their dime. I'll bet that they'll 1) pay for shipping, 2) fix it for free, and 3) repair or replace anything else that they deem wrong with it while it's there.

In the event that Ruger still refuses to replace the grip frame for free, shop around a little. You can find aluminum grip frames for around $25 from time to time, even on GunBroker. I saw some take-off parts on GB for around that price just last week. Or, call some of the big-name smiths like Bowen or Clements; they replace a lot of aluminum grip frames, and would probably sell you one cheap.

Just MHO.

txhunter77
09-25-2010, 03:14 AM
here is another one. looked exactly the same when it happened. She broke after somewhere around 5-700 300gr heavy loads. Change to a SS grip frame. Sure was purdy. Traded her off to get a Bisley, really wanted the unfluted cylinder.
http://i283.photobucket.com/albums/kk308/txhunter77/IMG_2200-1.jpg
here she is after I fit the stainless grip frame to her.
http://i283.photobucket.com/albums/kk308/txhunter77/IMG_2248.jpg

Three-Fifty-Seven
09-25-2010, 09:20 AM
If you do send it back to Ruger, don't send them the grips, or you'll never see them again . . . if you don't have the factory ones send in bare . . . anything not stock they will change back to stock,

buck1
09-27-2010, 11:06 PM
I would bet money that if you took it to your gunshop and had it shipped to ruger, It would get fixed for free...Buck

buck1
09-27-2010, 11:07 PM
PS .....Not MY money...LOL!! Just kidding[smilie=l:

jh45gun
09-28-2010, 01:30 AM
Wow and two more good Rugers. ); Just glad both of ya did not get hurt.

white eagle
09-28-2010, 09:49 AM
wow that looks like the identical failure I had
I find it interesting that aluminum is even used
I know they use it extensively in paintball guns with no failures
matter of fact I have a gun with 100,000 or so balls down the barrel without any grip failure
food for thought [smilie=b:

txhunter77
09-28-2010, 05:52 PM
wow that looks like the identical failure I had
I find it interesting that aluminum is even used
I know they use it extensively in paintball guns with no failures
matter of fact I have a gun with 100,000 or so balls down the barrel without any grip failure
food for thought [smilie=b:

First off, paintball guns don't endure the same recoil that real guns do. You'd be lucky to hit 400fps with a projectile that's light weight. No real comparison to a firearm.

Second, the velocities I was running my gun at (1350 fps) with a 300gr bullet, it doesn't completely surprise me that it broke. Factory loads (as in low pressure) would be pushing 200-250gr bullet at around 900fps. With a revolver that a big difference.

Ruger uses aluminum grip frames for black hawks that don't or rather shouldn't experience large amounts of recoil. If you don't like the aluminum then you can replace it with a number of other options. There is a reason that base model Black hawks are around $100 less than say Bisley, hunter, or super blackhawk models. It all in the grip frame.

bob208
09-28-2010, 06:02 PM
colt and others have used aluminum frames for their firearms even the lower of the ar15 is aluminum.

so send it back and get it fixed.

jh45gun
09-29-2010, 01:09 AM
I think its hilarious that you folks that think Ruger is GOD have a hissy fit when some one has a legitimate complaint about the all mighty Ruger! I am just glad that two guys who shown the broken guns did not get hurt.

cubrock
09-29-2010, 10:09 AM
I think its hilarious that you folks that think Ruger is GOD have a hissy fit when some one has a legitimate complaint about the all mighty Ruger! I am just glad that two guys who shown the broken guns did not get hurt.

There isn't enough information to tell whether this is a legitimate complaint or not. Though "Ruger Only" loads are well-known, Ruger has never recommended them for their guns. Ruger says to use SAAMI spec loads. The second poster with the problem has given us his load specs, which exceed the Ruger Only loads in my manuals. The first poster hasn't given us his load information. Seems to me neither has a complaint. They ran the guns harder than Ruger says to run them.

Would we be having a conversation about how crappy Colt is if the poster had blown up a SAA with those same loads?

McLintock
09-29-2010, 12:35 PM
Go over on the Rugerforum.com site and put an add in the classifieds for a steel gripframe from a Vaquero or even a Super Blackhawk. Won't break and balances the gun much better with more weight in the handle and will handle any loads. I got a Super Bkhk gripframe with grips not too long ago for under a $100 for a shooting buddy and his .41 Mag.
McLintock

09-29-2010, 01:44 PM
sell me the ruger i'll repair it.