PDA

View Full Version : Good Knives

Arisaka99
09-23-2010, 05:12 PM
I am looking for a good, sharp, pocket knife at an affordable price. I would prefer an assisted opener, but it doesnt have to be. I have a sharpening kit, but dont know how to sharpen a knife well. I try, but it doesnt really work for me. I like the karambits/hawkbill style knives. I want to get a cold steel urban pal (i think thats the name) push dagger overall its like an inch or two. I may CC that in my shoe, or my belt, or on a necklace? Suggestions, reviews, all would be appreciated!!

DIRT Farmer
09-23-2010, 09:14 PM
Chris I really like my Buck 371 3 blades, hard to sharpen, holds an edge well, and does not look like any thing other than a farmers knife which it is.
I carried "seat belt cutting knives" when working as a medic as wepons were not allowed, but still had the Buck in my pocket. It will skin a deer without needing sharpening, most of the clips I have carried needed touch ups even if not used

jsizemore
09-23-2010, 09:16 PM
I tried different knives until I found a style that fit my hand. If you can't control a sharp knife you will get cut. I settled on a Benchmade 550 HG Griptillian for edc and a 5000 for cc. Both function from the same hand position so I don't have to remember which I'm using.

82nd airborne
09-23-2010, 10:07 PM
benchmade, the only knife I carry any more.

Mk42gunner
09-24-2010, 01:48 AM
For a pocket knife tobe comfortable to use, it really has to fit your hand. I really dislike buying a new knife without holding it in my hands.

Like DIRT Farmer says a three bladed stockman's knife will do most things that a pocket knife is needed for. I carried several #34 OT Old Timers and the Schrade version over the years, now they are out of business and I have lost mine. Nothing else fits just right for me.

When I was still on board ships I really liked Kershaw knives, still do but the one I carried underway is just a little too heavy to carry when I don't need it everyday.

I haven't found a pocket clipknife that I really like yet; and they are easily lost when working under vehicles or equipment.

Check legalities before carrying a knife as a weapon.

Robert

winelover
09-24-2010, 07:57 AM
+1 on a Buck. For tha last 20 years, my daily carry knife is a Buck "Duke" (#500) lockblade. It came in a leather belt pouch but it's slim design and rounded edges allows me to "pocket carry". It sharpens easily and holds it's edge. It's a "drop point design" and is also my exclusive deer dressing knife. I deplore multiple bladed knives because they are not comfortable in the hand. The unopened blades are always digging into my fingers. Over the years, I wore the blade down to less than 50% so I recently sent it back to BUCK for a new blade for the cost of shipping alone! Can't beat that with a stick!! Their "no questions asked policy" is on par with RCBS's.

Winelover

EMC45
09-24-2010, 08:16 AM
Spyderco!

scrapcan
09-24-2010, 11:07 AM
benchmade mini barrage
http://www.benchmade.com/products/585

it is not a cheap knife, but I lost 4 spyderco knives due to the clip loosening over time.This knife has been with me for over two years and the clip is tight, it fits my hand, has a great lock that is easy to manipulate, and it is nice to sharpen and holds an edge well. The one I bought is a drop point non serrated. makes it much easier to maintain.

It is also made in the USA. The blue class benchmade knives are made in the US, the red class are not.

I also had a CRKT edgy that everyone that used it tried to take it. I finally gave it to my dad. The edgy is not a locking knife, but it does self sharpen. And for a utility knife to open boxes, cut hoses, cut rope/twine, etc... it does it well. It was about $22.00 when I bought hte last one and when I see another one in a store I will get one to put in the truck. Or I might like to try the Edgie 2 which is a lock back and two sided self sharpener.

http://www.crkt.com/Edgie-Self-Sharpening-Knife-Razor-Sharp-Edge

http://www.crkt.com/cgi-bin/crkt.pl?pgm=co_disp&func=displ&strfnbr=81&prrfnbr=146&sesent=0,0&search_id=440250

One may not have noticed but all of these are tip up when in pocket, it makes it easier for me to open when drawing. Tip down is just not correct for me, your tastes will vary.

NoZombies
09-24-2010, 11:58 AM
I've had good experiences with Kershaw and SOG pocketknives. They both make assisted openers that are affordable and user friendly. Benchmade knives are good, but spendy, and I find I carry the above brands more often. I dislike spyderco knives on a personal level, so can't comment beyond that.

A kerambit is useful for injuring people and opening boxes, which is fine, but my point is that they don't make very good daily use knives, keep that in mind when getting one or deciding to carry it.

I'm not familiar with the Cold-steel knife you mentioned, but If I had a CCW license, I doubt I'd be looking for a 2" knife as a defensive option, and some states consider such knives (due to design) as weapons covered by their CC laws.

Arisaka99
09-24-2010, 12:57 PM
well, it is a push knife, I have an old spyderco knife that I broke the tip off of, but now I cant find it. I was looking at the Spyderco hawkbill, and I really like it!! I was looking on midway at knives, and I like the emerson karambit too. I am not old enuff to carry a weapon so I carry at least one everywhere I go(except school). I had a buck that my gpa gave me but I was at chruch one day and I lost it. My first auto opener got lost on a trip with church to go do some outreach thing, and I never saw it again. It was only a 20$ knife from a gunshow, but I really liked it!!

dagger dog
09-24-2010, 03:04 PM
The Buck RUSH, is an assisted opener, with metal skeletonized frame, hollow ground high carbon blade, which even I can keep sharp,it has an ergonomic arc to the back of the knife when open, that feels good in and fits my medium size hand, the assist has a lock and the blade lock open feature can be operated with one hand also.

I purchased mine about 8 years ago for $45 at the local ---Mart, I just wish Buck would make it a little larger, but it is one fine knife for the money, check one out!

09-24-2010, 05:19 PM
Everyone has their druthers. For a handy pocket knife? I carry a Buck 503 lockback folder. Big enough for fairly heavy work, small enough for most all "pocketknife" type chores, lockback for safety, hollow ground for good sharpening profile, handy blade shape, thin and small enough to comfortably carry in the pocket. Some have trouble with sharpening Buck knives- hmmm? This goes on the Lansky once a year then touched up on the diamond stone as needed. Keeps a good edge.

DIRT Farmer
09-24-2010, 09:01 PM
Goodpoint 405, the old Lansky sharpener cleans up my sharpening skills.

82nd airborne
09-25-2010, 08:08 AM
You'll find that the forward curving blades are not really practical for most uses of a pocket knife, defense included.

Arisaka99
09-25-2010, 08:55 AM
I think my sharpener is a lansky kit, but im not sure.

870TC
09-25-2010, 11:33 AM
I like EKA from Sweden, very good blades inexpensive and easy to sharpen. Almost always use the Lansky sharpeners.
http://www.ragweedforge.com/eka-catalog.html

Rock021710
10-04-2010, 09:37 PM
Gerber and Buck.
I own several different styles of Gerber's knives. Both folding and fixed blade versions. All hold a good edge and are not to difficult to sharpen. I also own a couple of Buck folders and have good experiences with them. As for Gerber, I also carry a Diesel Multitool and after breaking a blade off I contacted Gerber about a replacement. They asked me to send the unit back and when I got the tool back they had replaced the whole thing with a new tool because the individual blades were not available. All it cost me was the shipping from me to them.

softpoint
10-10-2010, 08:30 PM
Benchmade Griptillian or mini griptillian. Easy to open, strong lock, reasonable price. Cabela's has them in a special run for their stores in D2 steel. (a little more money). The Benchmade 710 Mc. Henry &Williams in D2 is my personal carrying blade, although I carry slipjoints, too, usually a Case SS trapper or a Queen,(D2,again)[smilie=f:

Arisaka99
10-10-2010, 08:51 PM
Ok, do you guys know anything about the benchmade AXIS?

jsizemore
10-10-2010, 09:21 PM
I like the Axis lock system. Your hand stays out of the way opening and closing the knife. If it's not an auto, it's one hand open and close. Axis lock works with either hand. Axis is why I bought a Benchmade.

Lloyd Smale
10-11-2010, 05:57 AM
ive had good luck with the k-bar doziers and the kershaw asisted opening knives. There fairly cheap and are razon sharp and easy to put an edge on. Those manual opening doziers are less the 30 bucks and a guy can about buy a few of them and toss them when they get dull

jlewisk
10-11-2010, 11:36 AM
I've been carrying the Kershaw Centofante and the Leek. Both hold and edge and sharpen well. I like the blade design myself.

Arisaka99
10-11-2010, 09:08 PM
yeah, my cousin and I were at walmart one time and I asked her if we could see one, and he pulled out a rainbow finished one I think it was a chive, and he was closing it to put it away and it sprung open and cut his finger, all I remember is blood squirting like it cut an artery, and he grabbed a paper towel and stopped the bleeding. Then he got a band aid and we left.

jsizemore
10-11-2010, 11:02 PM
Assisted open is kinda like setting a mouse trap when you close one. If everything ain't just right it'll bite ya.

Smoke-um if you got-um
11-19-2010, 02:14 AM
If you should choose an assisted opening knife it's a good idea to get one with a safety to keep it closed when in or clipped to your pocket. I learned that the hard way. Had to go to the ER several years ago and get my leg Super Glued back together. I stopped carrying expensive knives a long, long time ago because I tend to be forgetful and leave them lay somewhere after using them. I carry a Kershaw now WITH the blade safety engaged. I bought several and keep them in a drawer for the time when I eventually lose this one. I was pleasantly surprised at the quality, sharpness and fit of the Kershaws when I received them from the E-Bay seller, shortly after my trip to the ER.

scrapcan
11-19-2010, 02:09 PM
I like the benchmade axis lock alot. The one I mention above is an axis lock. I tis also an assisted opener. Of the one handed and assisted knives I have been around, this one is the safest I have had. It is very secure and takes a firm push to kick it off. It also has a lock to lock closed or open aside from the axis cross lock

It also happen sto be a tip up configuration when in the pocket/belt/waistband/.... I like that feature as it is very handy to use.

I would mention that the non serrated balde is what I woudl get as it is much easier to sharpen.

Just my poinions so your mileage will vary.

Artful
11-20-2010, 01:41 AM
Kershaw Rainbow leek - it does have a lock on it to keep from openning in your pocket, it also comes with a zippered case for the the same purpose. Personally I have never had a problem with mine openning - just having someone admire it an walk away with it without my knowledge - contract crews replacing the windows and putting in new backyard landscaping - also missing a mattock after they left. I also have some other sping assists but Kershaw is EDC

KevMT
11-20-2010, 11:15 PM
For a knife that is easy to sharpen and takes a truly razor edge I like an opinel. But if you like to use your knife to pry on things they are way too delicate. Thats why I cary a leatherman for rough tasks and the opinel for something that requires a really sharp knife.

krag35
11-21-2010, 12:09 AM
Not what you asked for particularly, but a 3 blade Old Timer stockman has been in my pocket since the second grade.

jim4065
11-21-2010, 08:25 PM
AG Russell Woodswalker in a Kydex neck sheath. Seems to do all the "light work" that needs done, and sure is handy to carry. I've probably got or tried most of the sharpeners, but the one used now for all of my knife sharpening is an "Accusharp" made by Fortune Products of Marble Falls, TX.

Ravenhawk57
11-21-2010, 10:45 PM
Have or at present own most major knives, perfer the emerson, crkt, and cold steel. All make quality knives. Get one that fits your hand and what you are using it for. Sharpen all my edges by hand, knives chisels, and planer blades, learned from my father.

JudgeBAC
11-22-2010, 10:01 AM
Slightly off subject, but I have never been worth a durn at sharpening a knife. Any suggestions?

357tex
11-23-2010, 11:01 AM
I have carred a case sod buster for years.Works well for most things,and is simple & easy to keep sharp.

MoldyJoe
11-29-2010, 08:08 AM
I currently have close to 200 knives and have come to the same conclusion as most of you guys. 1) get one that fits your hand. 2) don't pay more than you are willing to lose when you can't find it. 3) ask your self "What do I want to use it for" then get the best one #2 will allow. Sharpening for beginers, find a tool that has a fixed angle of sticks already built in, Gerber has a neat little guy that fits in your pocket as well. Keep the blade centered and let the knife almost sharpen itself. Not too much pressure as it will wear down the metal too fast. Good luck!

Arisaka99
11-30-2010, 02:12 PM
I was looking at an emerson karambit, but what good is it other than killing ppl and cutting rope. I am starting to carry a mora on my belt, but my mom is freaking out because she thinks it looks like a killer's knife. I told her its nothing more than a utility knife. Sharpener wise; i have been looking at a kershaw or similar sharpener, one that has the v shaped sharpening "blades". I do happen to lose stuff sometimes, thats why im looking for a new knife because i lost my last cheap auto. On average, how much are the Benchmades with the axis? I may ask for one from santy. ;) Because santy wont get me any more guns, i cant ask for them, but i can ask for other stuff.

Merlin43
11-30-2010, 08:37 PM
Boolits
Er, sorry ... web speed was not my friend...

I'm *not* a "knife guy" but I own several - my best pocket is a 1960 camCo TL-29, 2nd is a benchmade (bought only when I thought I'd lost the camco) - my best skinner is a "gimme" from the Whittington Center...
I love high-carbon:: if it can't take an edge = BLEH!
I don't mind sharpening weekly or daily.
I appreciate good knives, as I am an experienced chef.
I have only defended myself twice with a knife.

Merlin43
11-30-2010, 08:48 PM
Ah - assisted opening is ok - thumb opening is better when being beaten by the gestapo ((I live on a large farm, nude mostly, so I seldom see a knife as other than as a tool)

11-30-2010, 11:37 PM
Slightly off subject, but I have never been worth a durn at sharpening a knife. Any suggestions?

JBAC,

Been covered elsewhere on the Forum but here goes my $.02.

There are as many "surefire" ways to sharpen a knife as there are knife preferences as witnessed on this thread :)

After years of fighting with the big wet or oil stones and hit or miss sharpening I watched a friend use a Lansky. Presto! Sharp! One rule of thumb about sharpening any knife- the thicker the blade the harder it is to sharpen. And, the old wive's tale about stainless not sharpening or Buck knives not sharpening or not holding an edge.... yadayadayada - can't prove it by me. All my knives respond very well to the Lansky whether they are carbon or stainless or Buck or whatever the latest buzz word alloy may be. The secret is getting the right EDGE ANGLE on the thing first. Once that is done most of the headache is gone. The Lansky and similar systems put the consistent edge angle on to begin with. Then if you want to put a truly fine grain, razor type on the very "edge" you can carefully strop by hand, or carefully and lightly finish with a fine grained stone. I like a med-fine grained diamond stone for the final step.

For knife sharpening, some like the belt sander thingy or a stropping wheel. I let someone do that one time to one of my knives.... never again! It overheated the edge of the blade and put a rounded edge on it :x. Carefully done that method can work fine I guess... it's just not for me. Other, so-called surefire methods include any manner of set angle ceramic sticks, set angle diamond interlocking fingers, set angle hardened cutting discs, etc. I guess they all work to one degree or another. Some of those methods put a very "sharp feeling" edge on but in many cases it's only a thin, wavy wire edge that doesn't have much durability. Anyway, my preference is still the Lansky or similar system like Gatco to get the consistent edge angle then, very lightly by hand, follow up on a diamond stone.