PDA

View Full Version : Cap is getting stuck

qajaq59
09-23-2010, 04:55 PM
The percussion caps on my Remington 700 ML in-line are flying back so much when I fire, that they are getting stuck in the cup at the end of the firing pin. I can pop them out with a little pick easy enough, but it does slow down my second shot a bit. I'm just wondering if anyone else has this same problem? They are #11 magnum caps. I couldn't get anything else locally.

mooman76
09-23-2010, 08:23 PM
I have had that problem but not with an inline. Can you still fire another load with the cap stuck? I could with my sidelock that way at least you can still do another quick load. I would try changing out the nipple with a good one with a small hole and/or even with one that has holes in the side of the nipple. That elieveates some of the pressure a pushes it out the sides and less staight back driving it into the back. I like uncle mikes nipple myself. Sometimes changing out brands of caps help too. I know you said it was all you could get but maybe you will find some others.

DIRT Farmer
09-23-2010, 09:07 PM
I would check the nipple, I use #11 mag if I can get them for M/L shotgun and eroded nipples will really stack them in the hammer cup. I have not shot my 700 much other than to work up loads but it would eat nipples at hotter loads. I don't have a platium nipple yet for my poor mans long range rifle (T-C with a .45 Green Mountain barrel) but today I fired 10 rounds today and tossed the nipple tonight, that is the max life of a stainless nipple in that gun.

flyingstick
09-23-2010, 09:10 PM
The only time I had that problem was when I had a nipple burn out. The hole opened up to much on the nipple and it was getting blow back from the percusion. Have you always used the magnum primers?

qajaq59
09-24-2010, 09:01 AM
It sounds like getting a new nipple would be a good idea. I'll try that.
Thank you.

mooman76
09-24-2010, 10:27 AM
I always like to keep a few extra nipples on hand. it's a fairly cheap fix.

qajaq59
09-24-2010, 12:12 PM
I just ordered some nipples and a new wrench. Hopefully I can get the old one out. I got it used, and have no clue how long it has been in there. Guess I best soak it in something huh?

DIRT Farmer
09-24-2010, 12:25 PM
Yep I would put the breach plug in a can with a penetrating oil if it hasen't been out. When you get it out, before putting the new one in a wrap of Teflon tape is a good idea, no gas leak and it will come out when you clean easy.

mooman76
09-24-2010, 02:50 PM
It is a good idea to remove the nipple occationaly to make removal when needed in the future. I also apply a small amount of grease or gun oil.

10 ga
09-24-2010, 04:57 PM
In practice for quick loading for hunting season I have had as many as 4 caps blown into the hammer. Gun will still discharge. That is part of the reason musket caps have the rim on them. A new nipple may help. To keep the nipple from seizing use "anti sieze" grease, the kind used in auto engine assembly etc... I prefer the copper based but the nickel is OK too. Good luck, 10

qajaq59
09-24-2010, 05:12 PM
To keep the nipple from seizing use "anti sieze" greaseI have some of that. I use it on the breech plug. Works well.

qajaq59
10-01-2010, 04:16 PM
The nipples and wrench came in today. And after soaking in penetrating oil for a week the old nipple came out fairly easily. What a difference between the old and new though. It was really worn out.
Thanks for the suggestions.