PDA

View Full Version : 500 jrh

donjose
09-23-2010, 01:57 PM
Well I took the plung today found a darn near new in the box 50 AE BFR for 525.00 and put the money down.Called Magnum Research and I am going to send the gun to them and have a cylinder made for it.I am having problems in my search today for finding any info on correct brass.I read an old post that said the 500 S&W and the 500 JRH were not the same diameter then I read a few more post on other sites that said 500 s&w brass could be trimmed down and used with no problems.Several other sites had guys using 500 S&W dies to reload as well.Anyone know anything on this?

Jason

odis
09-23-2010, 02:33 PM
Well I took the plung today found a darn near new in the box 50 AE BFR for 525.00 and put the money down.Called Magnum Research and I am going to send the gun to them and have a cylinder made for it.I am having problems in my search today for finding any info on correct brass.I read an old post that said the 500 S&W and the 500 JRH were not the same diameter then I read a few more post on other sites that said 500 s&w brass could be trimmed down and used with no problems.Several other sites had guys using 500 S&W dies to reload as well.Anyone know anything on this?

Jasonwhitworth would know he has one. That is a good price, is it still 300 bucks for a new cylinder?

donjose
09-23-2010, 04:29 PM
Yep 300 for a cylinder

Jason

ole 5 hole group
09-23-2010, 05:02 PM
You can purchase 500JRH brass directly from Jack Huntington at a good price, as well as Commerical Buffalo Bore loaded 500JRH. He sells both the 425 grain "hot" load and the "regular" 440 grain load. You can trim down 500 Smith brass but the cost/labor factor favors Jack's brass made by starline.

I use both Hornady & Redding dies, as I'm able to polish down the Redding expander plug to give me a tighter bullet fit. The Hornady expander is press in, so you can't modify it and it seems to me to run on the large size. I seat & crimp with the Hornady dies as I have the Redding seating and profile crimp die setup for the 500 Smith. The Redding profile die won't work with the JRH - the case is to short.

The cases I purchased from Jack, I've shot maybe 16/18 times and the primer pockets are still tight on most and I've only had 4 or 5 split necks probably caused by heavy crimping.

frank505
09-23-2010, 05:24 PM
Can the 50 AE cylinder be rechambered to 50 JRH?

Whitworth
09-23-2010, 05:59 PM
Can the 50 AE cylinder be rechambered to 50 JRH?

No it can't be rechambered to .500 JRH because the case is too big on the .50 AE at the base (above the rim).

.500 Smith brass can be cut down but just contact JRH (530-268-6877) for brass, it's easier.

I use .500 Smith dies......

The round is pure dynamite -- I love it! Very accurate!

Grizzly also produces ammo.......

donjose
09-23-2010, 06:28 PM
Well this BFR isnt going to happen went back over to pay the balance and took my cleaning kit and after cleaning the barrel I noticed a pretty deep scratch inside the barrel almost touching the crown.So this is out for now.:(
I sure am glad now that I didnt have all the money in my pocket or I would have been screwed looked like someone cleaned it with a coat hanger!!!

Jason

frank505
09-23-2010, 06:30 PM
Thanks Whitworth, CDNN has 50 AE BFR's for 699, you saved me from buying one.

jwp475
09-23-2010, 07:11 PM
The Rim on the 500 JRH is smaller than the rim on the 500 S&W. If the cylinder is chambered for the bigger rim them one shorten the 500 S&W without turning the rim down. Both rims sizes can be used for convenience

Frank
09-24-2010, 10:38 AM
Post a picture. There are tooling marks near the muzzle on BFR's and maybe this is what you have.

44man
09-24-2010, 11:32 AM
More barrels have been ruined by cheap cleaning rods and techniques then ever have by shooting.
I use nothing but steel rods, muzzle protectors and brass jags. No jointed rods allowed.
A jointed rod can make a mess in a barrel quick and most guys do not use a muzzle protector. The rod itself should never, ever touch the bore.
BFR's come with perfect, hand lapped barrels. There can be tool marks but they have been smoothed.
Too smooth is no good, you NEED some friction. This was found out long ago with patched round balls. The cloth patches would polish the bore and accuracy would go away. Old timers filled the bore overnight with urine to etch the metal. Now vinegar works fine.
Modern rifles for jacketed work fine when chrome plated but not so with lead because of the reduced friction of cast boolits. Just try to get accuracy with a muzzle loader that has a chrome plated bore.
Don't worry about shooting a lot of jacketed boolits, they will not polish a bore too smooth.
Even power lapping with the proper grit will not hurt, just don't go too fine of a grit for cast boolits. The super fine grits are for condom bullets.
With cast, even a lube that is too slippery will ruin accuracy.
A scratch is a scratch but don't look for a mirror in your barrel.
Did you know even a high polished chamber increases head thrust against recoil plates or bolt heads and can even deform bolt lugs?

jwp475
09-24-2010, 02:07 PM
Too smooth is no good, you NEED some friction.

The smooth a barrel the more the friction increases. A drag racing "slick" has more tracktion than a threaded street tire. Dan Lilja talks about this on his web site

Whitworth
09-24-2010, 07:20 PM
The smooth a barrel the more the friction increases. A drag racing "slick" has more tracktion than a threaded street tire. Dan Lilja talks about this on his web site

More surface area making contact with the bullet......

jwp475
09-24-2010, 09:50 PM
Well this BFR isnt going to happen went back over to pay the balance and took my cleaning kit and after cleaning the barrel I noticed a pretty deep scratch inside the barrel almost touching the crown.So this is out for now.:(
I sure am glad now that I didnt have all the money in my pocket or I would have been screwed looked like someone cleaned it with a coat hanger!!!

Jason

I've seen pitted barrels that shot rather well. If the price is right it may still be a good deal

Ed K
09-24-2010, 10:14 PM
Old timers filled the bore overnight with urine to etch the metal. Now vinegar works fine.

I guess we are not made of the same stuff as those old timers :takinWiz:

I thought the CDNN BFRs in 50AE were $599

Frank
09-25-2010, 04:11 PM
44man said
Old timers filled the bore overnight with urine to etch the metal.

Relax, Don Jose. Maybe a backyard bonehead who owned it previously already took care of it for you. [smilie=l:

Whitworth
09-25-2010, 06:30 PM
I guess we are not made of the same stuff as those old timers :takinWiz:

Thank God!

44man
09-25-2010, 07:50 PM
Yes it could be less friction with an unpolished bore, I don't know which way it is but we have pulled out a lot of hair with a chrome plated, mirror finished muzzle loader. Loaded like a greased pig, too easy and nothing would shoot as good as a shotgun.
I feel there is more GRIP with a bore not too smooth.
But lead is a lot different then jacketed.

lar45
04-16-2011, 10:17 PM
I realize this is an old post, but the price on the 500 JRH cylinders is down to $190 now. They can also put a new barrel on for $150 I think. So if you could find one in any caliber, have it converted, sell the old parts to help with the cost?

My new 500 JRH should be here anyday :)
Two weeks ago, I sent my 50AE BFR back to have a 500JRH cylinder made for it and an octagon barrel put on. They called to say it was done and emailed some pics.
I can't wait till it gets here. :dancing:
http://www.lsstuff.com/temp/500jrh-01.jpg

http://www.lsstuff.com/temp/500jrh-02.jpg

http://www.lsstuff.com/temp/500jrh-03.jpg

Nyles
12-25-2011, 12:35 PM
I picked a BFR in 50AE NIB for $550 will arrive tues, new 500 JRH cylinder still $190, $240 round trip not sure if I want that yet. I do have some questions, Where can I find Speer nickel brass in stock? Where do I find bullet molds? Any help advise more than welcome.

Whitworth
12-25-2011, 01:12 PM
The only commercial .500 JRH brass available is made by Starline and not nickel plated.

DLCTEX
12-26-2011, 02:38 PM
I picked a BFR in 50AE NIB for $550 will arrive tues, new 500 JRH cylinder still $190, $240 round trip not sure if I want that yet. I do have some questions, Where can I find Speer nickel brass in stock? Where do I find bullet molds? Any help advise more than welcome.
nyles: I found 50 AE brass at Grafs and sons, but haven't found any source for plated brass. Starline only sells plated brass in dealer lots and plain brass is sold in 250 rd. lots. The only plated brass I found is as loaded ammo. Moulds can be had from many sources, Grafs and Midway among them.

44man
12-26-2011, 04:09 PM
You do not need nickel plated brass. It was made for leather loop carry. No advantage at all for normal shooting.

Whitworth
12-26-2011, 07:13 PM
You do not need nickel plated brass. It was made for leather loop carry. No advantage at all for normal shooting.

and not available for the .500 JRH........

44man
12-27-2011, 10:51 AM
Hey Whit, I was just at the MR site and the JRH is not listed.
I talked with Jim and he likes the JRH for his go to gun so what is going on? Is it the new owners?

Whitworth
12-27-2011, 11:39 AM
Hey Whit, I was just at the MR site and the JRH is not listed.
I talked with Jim and he likes the JRH for his go to gun so what is going on? Is it the new owners?

They are redoing their website. Not done yet.

44man
12-27-2011, 11:54 AM
They are redoing their website. Not done yet.
OK, I was looking for the twist rate.

Whitworth
12-27-2011, 05:33 PM
ok, i was looking for the twist rate.

1:15............

44man
12-28-2011, 09:14 AM
1:15............
Same as the BFR .500 S&W and AE.
I thought it was but could find nothing.
My only doubts about the caliber is do I shoot another deer with it or just use a grenade? :Fire:

ebner glocken
12-28-2011, 08:26 PM
I have a very similar project going on myself. Just bought another BFR a couple of weeks ago in 50AE. Have been doing reasearch on the JRH, sounds like a real good one. I fired a few cylinders through it with some reloads I have for my desert eagle, one hole if I did my part. I didn't know about the smaller rim for the JRH. Does magnum reasearch make their JRH cylinders for the bigger rim? I'm hoping so as I have an abdunce of 500 S&W brass and no JRH brass.

Anyone try the 375 grain spire point gass check in the JRH yet?

Ebner

Whitworth
12-28-2011, 09:44 PM
I have a very similar project going on myself. Just bought another BFR a couple of weeks ago in 50AE. Have been doing reasearch on the JRH, sounds like a real good one. I fired a few cylinders through it with some reloads I have for my desert eagle, one hole if I did my part. I didn't know about the smaller rim for the JRH. Does magnum reasearch make their JRH cylinders for the bigger rim? I'm hoping so as I have an abdunce of 500 S&W brass and no JRH brass.

Anyone try the 375 grain spire point gass check in the JRH yet?

Ebner

Yes, the BFR will accept the larger rim of the .500 Smith.