PDA

View Full Version : STINK Bugs in the East!

Changeling
09-23-2010, 01:49 PM
This probably isn't bothering anyone in the West, yet!

But the people in the East are experiencing the beginning of an invasion! Supposedly a freight car delivered these stink bugs from China to Pennsylvania via a port, probably Baltimore.

If you go out side they are all over you and in the cars, they are causing wrecks and wiping out crops so I hear. Right now there are about 30 are more on my front door screen and about 20 or so on my kitchen screen. They are looking for every crack they can crawl into for the Winter.

I bought some stuff from a company called Bayer that is making insecticides now. Southern States says it would kill them but it takes so long you don't know, in other words it is not very effective and has to be used as a contact spray regardless of what they say.

To make matters worse there is now another strain of them coming Eastward, probably be here next year. I'm not crying wolf, yet, but this has the potential and momentum to be extraordinarily bad.

At there present numbers they would have no problem causing SEVERE damage to crops, imagine what it will be like next year after they propagate to UNTOLD numbers and a new strain on the way.

You guys in the West and the East also better start getting letters out to your Governors and the White House asking and demanding what they are going to do about this invasion.

Keep in mind, They have NO NATURAL ENEMIES in this country, birds don't eat them or anything else it seems!

For those that haven't seen the size they are roughly the size of a nickle, some larger some smaller.

I am EXTREMELY sincere about this.
Changeling

Three-Fifty-Seven
09-23-2010, 01:52 PM
We have stink bugs out here . . . a little spray around the house with Bifin IT, and there laying on their backs!

Wally
09-23-2010, 01:52 PM
Do they look like Ladybugs?

home in oz
09-23-2010, 01:54 PM
Do you have a photo?

Three-Fifty-Seven
09-23-2010, 01:55 PM
Do they look like Ladybugs?

This is what ours look like http://geoinfo.nmt.edu/staff/wilks/interests/Insects-Web/images/Stink%20Bugs_JPG.jpg cept there not usually piled up like that;)

Changeling
09-23-2010, 01:59 PM
We have stink bugs out here . . . a little spray around the house with Bifin IT, and there laying on their backs!

There are more than 1 strain now and if you think you can spay the numbers that are here now, dream on!

At my place to give you an example :

You know how it is when June bugs are out in full force, well double that! That is what I have here right now.

Changeling
09-23-2010, 02:03 PM
This is what ours look like http://geoinfo.nmt.edu/staff/wilks/interests/Insects-Web/images/Stink%20Bugs_JPG.jpg cept there not usually piled up like that;)

Diesel that is not what we refer to as a stink bug at all, I'll try to find a link.

Here you go!

http://www.cbsnews.com/8301-504763_162-20017382-10391704.html?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+FromTheRoadCBSNews+(From+The+ Road%3A+CBSNews

Archey
09-23-2010, 02:08 PM
I feel your pain. I am just outside of Lancaster PA and my house is covered in them. We can not even open a door to take the dog out without a swarm of them coming inside. I have had the vacuum out sucking them up constantly.

bgokk
09-23-2010, 02:23 PM
Diesel that is not what we refer to as a stink bug at all, I'll try to find a link.

Here you go! That's what I call a Stink Bug.

http://www.cbsnews.com/8301-504763_162-20017382-10391704.html?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+FromTheRoadCBSNews+(From+The+ Road%3A+CBSNews

The link from Diesel looks like a Dung Beetle.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dung_beetle

Three-Fifty-Seven
09-23-2010, 03:46 PM
Ours out here have longer bodies that the dung bettle . . . and if you get close to them they raise their butt in the air, and stink whan squashed!

Biffin IT is a serious pestiside http://www.domyownpestcontrol.com/bifen-it-p-226.html

Don't know if it is a scam or not, but it does offer a 100% money back guaruntee http://www.getridofstinkbugsnow.com/

markinalpine
09-23-2010, 04:37 PM
Hey, if you want to complain about the DC political class, shouldn't you post this in the Political Section?

:kidding:

Changeling
09-23-2010, 05:47 PM
Hey, if you want to complain about the DC political class, shouldn't you post this in the Political Section?

:kidding:

Maybe you're right! I tried, but I don't consider the response very enthusiastic!

It's probably all in my mind, don't do anything, just consider it mental ramblings:shock:

Won't bother you with my ramblings again.:veryconfu

shooterg
09-23-2010, 06:18 PM
Make good targets - I use a scoped .22 from the picnic table and shoot 'em off the now-spoiled tomatoes. Another disaster imported - added to Japanese beetles, kudzu,killer bees,Obama/etc.

Archey
09-23-2010, 07:19 PM
I am going to give them a try as flux when I melt down a batch of WW this weekend. I will let you know how it turns out.;-)

RobS
09-23-2010, 07:59 PM
I am going to give them a try as flux when I melt down a batch of WW this weekend. I will let you know how it turns out.;-)

STINK :shock:

mrbill2
09-23-2010, 08:38 PM
I was at the range yesterday and the damb things were all over the place. In and on all my shooting gear. Was thinking about going today but then remembered the bugs. Next week the weather is going to be cooler they say, so maybe that will slow them down, I hope.

Around the second week of Oct. it will also be the begining of the ladybug onslaught in Lebanon county. I hate them just as much. Was one of the reasons I gave up living in the woods for 41 years and moved.

Ohio Rusty
09-23-2010, 09:05 PM
Powdererd sevin has stopped the stink bugs from eating my zucchini. If it wasn't stink bugs, it's japanese beetles eating all my grapes. Tough year for bugs this year in Ohio.
Ohio Rusty

lead Foot
09-24-2010, 05:14 AM
We have a stink bug here Australia too. Native I think. I was eating a choc - chip cookie one day and thought I dropped a chip on my shirt ~ It was a stink bug and yes they taste like they smell.
Lead foot;

nicholst55
09-24-2010, 06:47 AM
I see them damn things all the time, but then I'm a mite closer to their source... :?

lavenatti
09-24-2010, 06:57 AM
I almost fell off a ladder this week while I was painting my house. About a dozen came out of a soffit vent right into my face when I ran the paintbrush over it.

Anybody have a recipe for them? :)

44man
09-24-2010, 08:05 AM
Same here in WV, can't even open a door. Billions on the house and in the trees. We used to have boxelder bugs but I think the stinkbugs ate them.

excess650
09-24-2010, 08:10 AM
I was eating a choc - chip cookie one day and thought I dropped a chip on my shirt ~ It was a stink bug and yes they taste like they smell.
Lead foot;

LOL!:groner: LOL! I'm sorry, but I just couldn't help but laugh!

I've lived in Pennsylvania all my life, now more than 51 years, and can remember stink bugs from when I was young. Quite often when picking and eating raspberries or blackberries I would experience the bad taste, and KNOW that a stink bug had been there.

The current "outbreak" of stink bugs seemed to appear in 2007 or so, and seems to have gotten worse. They seem to be attracted to warm surfaces in the fall, and will try to get inside. I hate 'em, and the cats back off from 'em when they get a sniff.

Prior to these stinkin' &@$#*^)$ we had box elder bugs, but at least they don't stink....lady bugs either! I don't have the lady bug problem(Cumberland County), but have seen it. The box elder bugs seem to be under control for now.

Weren't the lady bugs released to eat something else?

Ajax
09-24-2010, 08:17 AM
I live in Pittsburgh and they are bad here. I heard you can mix Borax and water very strong with a little dawn dishwashing liquid in a spray bottle and it will kil them pretty fast gonna be trying it this weekend.

Andy

44man
09-24-2010, 08:25 AM
I live in Pittsburgh and they are bad here. I heard you can mix Borax and water very strong with a little dawn dishwashing liquid in a spray bottle and it will kil them pretty fast gonna be trying it this weekend.

Andy
Let us know how it works.
The other morning a huge flock of purple grackles were here eating them. They even went into the gutters and all over the roof.

mrbill2
09-24-2010, 08:33 AM
(Weren't the lady bugs released to eat something else?

Yes and I hope they EAT the people that released them.

Ajax
09-24-2010, 10:59 AM

Yes and I hope they EAT the people that released them.

I am with ya Bill. :bigsmyl2:

Andy

MT Gianni
09-24-2010, 11:34 AM
In the west you can buy them for aphid problems and release them during the year. AIRC they come in a fridge pack of around 500.

Charley
09-25-2010, 05:29 PM
Asian Stinkbug. Lots of exotic species getting introduced in the US lately. Few natural predators, and most do well. EPA is sometimes very slow getting pesticide labels updated to allow them to be dealt with legaly.
As for Bayer, Bayer has produced drugs, pesticides, and other chemicals for almost 100 years. They're the Aspirin people...

Shooter
09-25-2010, 06:09 PM
I almost fell off a ladder this week while I was painting my house. About a dozen came out of a soffit vent right into my face when I ran the paintbrush over it.

Anybody have a recipe for them? :)

Ask and ye shall recieve:
Despite their name, stink bugs are actually one of the most delectable of insects. Here they add a unique favor to a traditional pâté.

1/3 pound roasted stink bugs
10 chicken livers
4 cloves garlic
1 small onion
1/8 teaspoon salt
Black pepper, to taste
Oregano, to taste
Marjoram, to taste
Powdered bouillon, to taste
Olive oil, to taste

Place the chicken livers in a saucepan with the garlic, onion, salt, and enough water to cover. Bring to a boil and simmer for 10 minutes.

Remove the chicken livers and place in a blender or food processor, reserving the broth. Add the roasted stink bugs and about 1/4 cup of the reserved broth and puree, adding more broth as needed, until mixture is smooth and reaches a spread able consistency. Add spices and oil to taste. Place in a wooden bowl and serve with crusty French bread.

Read more: Stink Bug Pâté (Insects) http://www.globalgourmet.com/food/special/creepy/bugpate.html#ixzz0zv0OGi6C

Stink Bug Salsa: Every year, people living near Taxco, Mexico, catch stink bugs to make a special treat. First, the bugs are toasted to get rid of their stinky smell. Next they're ground up and put into salsa, a spicy sauce. (The stink bugs taste like sesame seeds.) Then the people grab their tostados (corn chips), spread them with salsa, and chow down.

Changeling
09-25-2010, 07:22 PM
Ask and ye shall recieve:
Despite their name, stink bugs are actually one of the most delectable of insects. Here they add a unique favor to a traditional pâté.

1/3 pound roasted stink bugs
10 chicken livers
4 cloves garlic
1 small onion
1/8 teaspoon salt
Black pepper, to taste
Oregano, to taste
Marjoram, to taste
Powdered bouillon, to taste
Olive oil, to taste

Place the chicken livers in a saucepan with the garlic, onion, salt, and enough water to cover. Bring to a boil and simmer for 10 minutes.

Remove the chicken livers and place in a blender or food processor, reserving the broth. Add the roasted stink bugs and about 1/4 cup of the reserved broth and puree, adding more broth as needed, until mixture is smooth and reaches a spread able consistency. Add spices and oil to taste. Place in a wooden bowl and serve with crusty French bread.

Read more: Stink Bug Pâté (Insects) http://www.globalgourmet.com/food/special/creepy/bugpate.html#ixzz0zv0OGi6C

Stink Bug Salsa: Every year, people living near Taxco, Mexico, catch stink bugs to make a special treat. First, the bugs are toasted to get rid of their stinky smell. Next they're ground up and put into salsa, a spicy sauce. (The stink bugs taste like sesame seeds.) Then the people grab their tostados (corn chips), spread them with salsa, and chow down.

Shooter I don't like jumping the gun so to speak (As everyone knows), but you are so dam full of it (stink bugs) it's pitiful, If this is some kind of "Culinary fascination" you have for the exotic things our planet has to offer I surely hope I never bend over in your presence whether there are taco chips/potato chips/corn chips/ are shooter chips accompanying your "Fiesta"!

The mere thought of chowing down on anything that remotely resembles or smells like a stink bug tells me you would get on great with the cuisine of Cambodia/Bangkok and several other places I won't mention.

But then again management here wants us to hug our neighbor and not be sarcastic towards what they think/like/or believe in so if I can drop out anything you like, just let me know, I'll be glad to send you all you can handle, see how polite I am!;-)

Three-Fifty-Seven
09-25-2010, 08:19 PM
Changling, you missed the part of roasting them . . . it removes the stink somehow . . . Try it you may like it! (My wife tried Rattle Snake tonight!)

44man
09-26-2010, 08:43 AM
I like them toasted---in my lead pot! :bigsmyl2:
It is by the garage window that is old, things crawl in and there is always a bunch in the pot. Good flux when I turn it on.

RU shooter
09-26-2010, 08:57 AM

Yes and I hope they EAT the people that released them. Yes they were, the beetles were supposed to take care of the gypsy moths/catapillers

fishnbob
09-26-2010, 09:16 AM
I hear nothing but chickens will eat them. So much for fried yard strollers!

jlchucker
09-26-2010, 11:06 AM
We've had the kind that look like ladybugs around here for years. They infiltrate into the house and cluster up in out of the way corners for the winter. Over the last couple of years they don't seem to be around as much. What is very persistent though, is Japanese beetles that land all over rose bushes and eat them to death. To keep flowers on the bush in the summer, you have to spray the heck out of the bushes about every other day. I have shaken bunches of these off my flowers, into one hand, and given them a round of applause--but that only gets rid of a few of them. They are worse than the stink bugs by far.

Shooter
09-26-2010, 03:00 PM
Shooter I don't like jumping the gun so to speak (As everyone knows), but you are so dam full of it (stink bugs) it's pitiful, If this is some kind of "Culinary fascination" you have for the exotic things our planet has to offer I surely hope I never bend over in your presence whether there are taco chips/potato chips/corn chips/ are shooter chips accompanying your "Fiesta"!

The mere thought of chowing down on anything that remotely resembles or smells like a stink bug tells me you would get on great with the cuisine of Cambodia/Bangkok and several other places I won't mention.

But then again management here wants us to hug our neighbor and not be sarcastic towards what they think/like/or believe in so if I can drop out anything you like, just let me know, I'll be glad to send you all you can handle, see how polite I am!;-)

I didn't make it up,Just found it on the web. I wouldn't eat them either. There are too many deer. They have a higher meat to boolit ratio.

bob208
09-26-2010, 03:24 PM
we have them here bad. have been spraying them with hand soap. and cleaning them up with our rainbow.

we were out at an flea market a guy had some pet skunks. he said they ate all the bugs in his house the skunks love them.

Changeling
09-26-2010, 04:29 PM
we have them here bad. have been spraying them with hand soap. and cleaning them up with our rainbow.

we were out at an flea market a guy had some pet skunks. he said they ate all the bugs in his house the skunks love them.

I found out that skunks liked them today, but I haven't seen a skunk around here in a couple months.

Something here is happening that I don't like. Saturday I must have sprayed and killed 5000 at least. The were 2 inches deep when I cleaned them off my front stoop!

This morning there was only about 100 or so there dead! So, something has to be eating them and with all that poison in them whatever it is can't be doing to well.

Also man do they stink up a vacuum cleaner, if you vacuum up a big batch make sure you change the filter and put it OUTSIDE in the trash right then and there.

wallenba
09-26-2010, 04:48 PM
Stinkbugs, snakehead fish, malanine in our dog food, lead in our kids toys. We are under a Chinese attack!!:bigsmyl2:

home in oz
09-26-2010, 05:16 PM
Now do these rascals get inside the walls of your house and breed?

Like Box Elder beetles.

Damned hard to get rid of.

bob208
09-26-2010, 08:51 PM
they only breed out side in the spring and summer. they find any crack to get in the house where it is warm.

today we closed the storm windows and seal the inside windows with duct tape. also fouming the sill plates in the basement. also the basement door.

ebg3
09-27-2010, 07:45 AM
Bidrin(dicrotophos) is better than Bifenthrin for controlling stinkbugs. Southern States will know about it. We have to use Bidrin every year to control stinkbugs in Cotton. You can only expect a little residule control no mater what you use. High rates of Bidrin or Bifenthrin may keep them away for 1-2 weeks, but it may be long enough to break the cycle. Good luck.

longranger
09-29-2010, 07:48 PM
Another great thread on castboolits, This one is a hoot.
We have the Boxelders and Spruce Moths here in WY,they are moving in as the weather cools off.
When I was a kid my Dad would take us up to Mt. Lassen in CA with 6 kids and give each one of us a 5 gallon bucket.In the spring the Lady bugs would swarm around their winter dens and still be cold enough to scoop them up put screen mesh over the top.He would then sell them to the nurseries in the Bay Area for $5.00 a pound to eat Aphids on their roses.I don't know if it was "profitable" but he loved the mountains.BTW Ladybugs will bite you!

44man
09-30-2010, 08:17 AM
I tried the soap and borax, works as good as anything.
BUT, the stuff settled to the bottom and at the end I made white spots all over the siding. Now I need to power wash! :veryconfu

PatMarlin
09-30-2010, 09:38 AM
Holy cow. What a pain.

Is there a higher humidity in your areas? I guess nothing gets inspected anywhere anymore. Come on in the USA and take a dump.. :roll:

44man
09-30-2010, 12:32 PM
All I know is a guy needs 100 billion boolits to shoot them! :coffeecom

uncle joe
09-30-2010, 12:37 PM
one word
cynoff

PatMarlin
09-30-2010, 12:50 PM
On a semi same topic-

I have a bug repellant I developed that repels tics and mosquitos. All natural non-toxic and works for Humans and pets as well. Tics will not land period, and neither will blood suckers, the California variety anyway. We've been using it for 3 years with excellent results.

Our dogs run through brush with not a tic landing. Normally, they would be loaded up,. Have no idea if it will work on fleas as we have none up here.

I've been asked to consider marketing it. Would like to try it out with hunters and shooters. If someone is interested in trying a sample, let me know. Maybe getting late in the year for it.

Charley
10-01-2010, 05:21 PM
On a semi same topic-

I have a bug repellant I developed that repels tics and mosquitos. All natural non-toxic and works for Humans and pets as well. Tics will not land period, and neither will blood suckers, the California variety anyway. We've been using it for 3 years with excellent results.

Our dogs run through brush with not a tic landing. Normally, they would be loaded up,. Have no idea if it will work on fleas as we have none up here.

I've been asked to consider marketing it. Would like to try it out with hunters and shooters. If someone is interested in trying a sample, let me know. Maybe getting late in the year for it.

Good luck. Current cost to bring a pesticide to market is in the neighborhood of $150 million, give or take 20 million or so. Repellants are a bit cheaper.

Repellants also depend a great deal on an individual's body chemistry. A product that works great on one person might be totaly ineffective on another. Examples of that are Avon Skin so Soft...many people swear by it as a mosquito repellant, other will tell you it is useless. Local company markets Cactus Juice, a prickly pear derivative. Again, some people have great results, but many get no relief at all.

44man
10-04-2010, 01:53 PM
On a semi same topic-

Have you been able to test it on gnats or black flies?
I would love to test some but it looks like they are gone for the year. If you can repel them you will be making a lot of money. Nobody can go outside most of the summer here in WV. I could sell a ton for you if it works.

Changeling
10-04-2010, 04:14 PM
I would love to test some but it looks like they are gone for the year. If you can repel them you will be making a lot of money. Nobody can go outside most of the summer here in WV. I could sell a ton for you if it works.

44man, this is what I have been using for years, I've never seen anything to beat it and when I went on fishing trips in Canada it is the only thing that would work on "Black Flies" and mosquitoes. Once it was put on correctly I never had any problems. Before it, I used to get eaten alive. I did a complete study of the whole situation so trust me I know what I'm talking about.
I think I'm all out but if I can find a bottle of it I'll bring it up next time I visit.

http://www.muskol.com/en/product/classic_liquid_40ml/

PatMarlin
10-04-2010, 11:09 PM

It won't work for them damn deer flys that buzz your eyes, so most likely not.

PatMarlin
10-04-2010, 11:11 PM
I used the Muskol years ago. Works well but contains DEET. I hate that deet and is one of the reasons I developed this stuff.,

44man
10-05-2010, 08:49 AM
I used the Muskol years ago. Works well but contains DEET. I hate that deet and is one of the reasons I developed this stuff.,
I don't like it that much either. I still have half a case of military repellent. Helps but they still form those clouds in front of your face. :veryconfu This stuff will melt certain plastics, paint, etc.
It is hard to read but I think it says N, N, Diethyl-meta toluamides-71.25%. I forget the meaning of DEET.

1Shirt
10-05-2010, 08:56 AM
Now that Obozo has appointed a "Carp Czar", maybe he should appoint a "Stink Bug Czar".
1Shirt:coffee:

Changeling
10-05-2010, 03:02 PM
I don't like it that much either. I still have half a case of military repellent. Helps but they still form those clouds in front of your face. :veryconfu This stuff will melt certain plastics, paint, etc.
It is hard to read but I think it says N, N, Diethyl-meta toluamides-71.25%. I forget the meaning of DEET.

DEET is the abbreviation for the ingredient you identified. It does have some drawbacks like supposedly melting some plastics. However I have never had a negative experience I know of.

It was developed by the Government. Any commercial formula usually contains some % of DEET usually from 10 % up to 100%, the Muskol that I have/had contained 60% DEET.

SO, when you look at any can/bottle of insect repellent read the active ingredients, 99% of the time it will say DEET or N, Diethyl-meta toluminides in some percentage, witch or one and the same thing, (I can't spell it either).:veryconfu

EOD3
10-05-2010, 07:41 PM
Now that Obozo has appointed a "Carp Czar", maybe he should appoint a "Stink Bug Czar".
1Shirt:coffee:

Are you kidding, look at the millions he's spent to get/keep the job.

44man
10-08-2010, 02:47 PM
I had a stink bug on my bench today and did some experimenting.
I found a drop of Birchwood-Casey no. 77 black powder solvent will kill a box elder bug right now. I put a few drops on the stink bug and it kept right on trucking. I put the bottle away and when I came back, the bug was gone. It must have flown away.
Long ago I had a large centipede in the bathtub so I got everything out of the medicine cabinet and dripped a drop on it. Iodine, mercurichrome, etc. Nothing. I tried everything and went and got some nitric acid. One drop and it EXPLODED! :mrgreen: Some bugs respond to lead poisoning only, drop a 500 gr boolit on them, works everytime. :drinks:

EOD3
10-08-2010, 10:20 PM
I don't know about the "normal" states but here in the Peoples Republic they quit selling the only affective bug spray we had. Diazinon will kill darn near anything. I used to carry a squeeze bottle with me when I was way down South because it would kill/repel scorpions.

Charley
10-09-2010, 03:02 PM
I don't know about the "normal" states but here in the Peoples Republic they quit selling the only affective bug spray we had. Diazinon will kill darn near anything. I used to carry a squeeze bottle with me when I was way down South because it would kill/repel scorpions.

Organo-phosphates like Diazinon are a long way from state of the art today. Many, many products out there today that are way safer for mammalian contact, the environment in general, and work better than Diazinon ever did.

home in oz
10-09-2010, 03:35 PM
I assume you are talking about insects, and not our elected polyticians.....

Charley
10-09-2010, 06:41 PM
I recommend IG Farben's Zyklon B for dealing with those pesky politicians.

EOD3
10-10-2010, 05:37 PM
and work better than Diazinon ever did.

Not in my experience Charley. Which "active ingredients" are you referring to?

NOTE: If you go back far enough, the active ingredient in Black Flag was Sarin (AKA: Russian NERVE GAS) Been a long tome since I looked at a can of Black Flag to see what it is now.

Charley
10-10-2010, 10:34 PM
Not in my experience Charley. Which "active ingredients" are you referring to?

NOTE: If you go back far enough, the active ingredient in Black Flag was Sarin (AKA: Russian NERVE GAS) Been a long tome since I looked at a can of Black Flag to see what it is now.

Imidacloprid, Fipronil, Chlorfenapyr, some of the second/third generation Pyrethroids like Bifenthrin, newer forms of Cyfluthrin, Deltamethrin, and a few others.

Have to admit, I'm an entomologist, spent quite a few years in the pest management industry. What is available today beats the **** out of what was around even 10 years ago.

Shooter6br
10-11-2010, 06:00 PM
Actually more like singe.i just use my barbecue lighter on them when they are on my alumnium screen in my patio.( Not plastic onces) Not enought to make them smell. just kill them

44man
10-15-2010, 09:42 AM
It seems they creeped out when Obama was elected. :drinks: Could it be a Biblical warning?
What we need is a steam machine, wash the house at the same time.

firefly1957
10-15-2010, 09:59 PM
Oh no a plague for electing demon spawn at least they have not hit Michigan yet our biggest pest will be out of office soon. I think the original Black Flag Was nicotine as a insecticide.

PatMarlin
10-15-2010, 11:37 PM
Plumb Island?

Watching that Jessie Ventura "Conspiracy Theory".

The freakiest 2012 doomsday I've seen yet. Holy Cow... :shock:

lwknight
10-15-2010, 11:41 PM
Oh no a plague for electing demon spawn at least they have not hit Michigan yet our biggest pest will be out of office soon. I think the original Black Flag Was nicotine as a insecticide.

I had just read about certain kinds of tobacco finely ground and mixed in soapy water were a powerful and natural insecticide.

My grandmother used to put the coffee grounds in her pot plants. She said it was a great fertilizer and kept insects away.

firefly1957
10-16-2010, 05:08 PM
I use coffee grounds in compost and to feed worms it seems not to repel bugs to me.
Capsicum will repel bugs I dried a few Jalapeńos in the house and that was a mistake next year I grew Tabasco peppers and dried them in old farm house it kept most of the bugs out until spring! I am currently growing ghost peppers to make a spray to keep deer off my plants I will not dry them in a blower drier.

Second post first one erased? :killingpc

EOD3
10-16-2010, 05:15 PM
I had just read about certain kinds of tobacco finely ground and mixed in soapy water were a powerful and natural insecticide.

My grandmother used to put the coffee grounds in her pot plants. She said it was a great fertilizer and kept insects away.

Once upon a time, LONG LONG ago, chewing tobacco was soaked in water then the water was used to control creepy crawlies in the garden. I always assumed the nicotine in the tobacco was the "poison".

pappyo
10-16-2010, 05:59 PM
We use Dawn dish liquid and water in a spray bottle. They take a few steps and it's lights out. They won't hurt you, just a pain in the butt.

firefly1957
10-17-2010, 08:59 PM
I have not had the things yet in Michigan However years ago I had earwigs bad in yard found out Murphy's oil soap 1/4 cup to gallon of water killed them fast. At the time I was using diaonazon (spelling wrg) and it would make them act crazy but took a day to die.

44man
10-19-2010, 01:49 PM
Crazy things! :bigsmyl2: I put my lead pot on and there was one in it that I tossed in. Came back some time later to cast and it was full of the stinking things.
As I was casting some were walking across the bench so I would set the ladle on them. TOUGH suckers! [smilie=l:

Charley
10-20-2010, 05:42 PM
The reason detergents kill insects is the detergent lowers the surface tension of the water, and makes it "wetter"...basic chemistry, I know. The droplets are then small enough to enter the critter's spiracles (holes along the side of the abdoman that the insect breathes thru) and they drown.
Works, but no residual effect...they're gonna keep coming. I'm not going to sit outside and drown every insect that comes by, I'd rather be casting, loading, and shooting.

shooterg
11-08-2010, 02:42 PM
Stink bugs make good flux ?