PDA

View Full Version : My Winchester 1894 in .375 Win.......

Harry O
09-15-2006, 12:04 PM
made it to the range yesterday. A good time was had by all.

I had both jacketed and lead bullets for it. Fine tuned the sights for jacketed, then turned to cast. Could not find them anywhere on the target. After shooting some more, I saw a nice group forming in the pressboard about 8" below the aiming point (at 50 yards). I then stapled on another target below the original target and shot some more lead. Aimed at the upper target for both types of bullets. Got good groups with both. I do have a black and blue mark on my shoulder this morning, though.

Loads were 36.0gr of RL-7 with a 220gr Hornady and 29.0gr of RL-7 with a 275gr Lyman 375449 GC. Both bullets had powder up to the base of the seated bullet. Unfortunately, the Williams peepsight on the gun is NOT click adjustable. Resighting after moving it takes a fair amount of fussing. I don't think I will be switching back and forth.

omgb
09-15-2006, 12:25 PM
Nice gun isn't it! have you seen the thread dealing with my experiments with the BB94 in .375? I love mine. It's a tinker's gun though.

Harry O
09-15-2006, 01:38 PM
I have been following your thread. I have not gotten around to casting the chamber yet, but what I don't know probably won't hurt me. The accuracy is more than adequate for iron sight distances regardless of what the freebore is. It will never give my Ruger No. 3's a run, but I am happy with it.

I have two Ruger No. 3's. One is iron sighted in .375 Win. The other is 30-40 Krag with a compact scope. I also had the 30-40 out yesterday (no lead bullets, though). It was doing extremely well. About 1/4 MOA from side to side and about 1-1/2 MOA vertically. The group climbs the more the barrel heats up. With three shots it was about 1/2 MOA vertically. Definitely a nice little rifle. Here is a picture (if I get it right).

http://gallery.sixshootercommunity.org/displayimage.php?album=random&cat=10013&***=-119