PDA

View Full Version : Sticky Pins on Mihec's Cramers Style Moulds

mtgrs737
09-23-2010, 10:48 AM
A while back I posted that I was having trouble with the sliding pins holding the HP pins being sticky and hard to slide in my MiHec Cramer style mould. I got a lot of useful replies but I think I found the answer that works best for me. I got to thinking that those two pins might not be parallel to one another, so I used a mic to check and sure enough they weren't. I adjusted them with just my fingers until they were an even distance apart measuring from the outside of the pins. This was the answer! The pins now slide in and out on their own weight. While I had them out I polished the micro burrs off the HP pin surfaces and reblued them. I am going out to test them today. I expect all three of the moulds to function easier now that I have tuned them up a tad. All three of my moulds needed a little adjustment, the hardest part was removing and reinstalling the "E" clips. I found that using a bobby pin worked well for removal, and a needle nose plier worked good for installation. The quality of these moulds is great but the pins come un-installed so that is the best time to check them.

jimmeyjack
09-23-2010, 11:30 AM
Or, you could loosen said pins then install and tighten them. Also, it helps to do this BEFORE you heat them up for the first time.

MtGun44
09-23-2010, 04:41 PM
I have done exactly the same thing with mine - check for parallel, tiny sqeeze with pliers or
spread with a screwdriver twisted between. Works fine. The holes are parallel, but sometimes
the pins are off a hair.

Bill

mtgrs737
09-24-2010, 01:37 AM
I have done exactly the same thing with mine - check for parallel, tiny sqeeze with pliers or
spread with a screwdriver twisted between. Works fine. The holes are parallel, but sometimes
the pins are off a hair.

Bill

That is it alright, but considering the amount of time to fix it I don't blame the maker, just a fine tweak and it is off to the races! I believe it is the thread cutting and clearance that causes the problem in the first place.

Now all three of mine slide in and out as smooth as glass.

rusty marlin
09-24-2010, 10:08 PM
All the pins are for is to keep the hollow point pin from leaving the hitting the floor when the mold is opened. Loosen the pins half a turn so they wobble, let them find their own way in their holes. The HP pin is the one that has to fit its hole with precision.

MtGun44
09-26-2010, 08:49 PM
Not anything wrong with the parts, IMO. Tiny tweak like this - loosen or bend a hair is no
big deal.

Bill