PDA

View Full Version : Encore cocking question.

Four Fingers of Death
09-23-2010, 04:53 AM
Before I ask this question, I will explain. I am a cowboy action shooter and am used to using a hammergun. I can reload and cock pretty quickly (no champeen, but pretty reasonable). The method we use is to use both hands and cock the gun while it is open.

I find when I use the Encore, I either go to cock it when it is open (don't work) or forget to cock it when it is closed (don't work real good either :( ).

Can I mod the Encore or am I stuck with the 'will only cock when the action is closed' set up?

After admiring and desiring a T/C for many years, the negatives with this rifle seem to be pushing the positives aside.

bigted
09-23-2010, 05:17 AM
four fingers,,,i remeber my first ruger #1. at first the novelty was super then i got tired of all the fumbling around till i figured out that rounds between the fingers...[ long before quigly down under]... was and is a handy way to reload fairly fast for the follow up shots.

well i goot confess that i havnt figured out the handy and fast way with my encore either but the handiness and fairly small package of it keeps me fumbling till i figure it out as well. its too good a platform to give up on and my accuraccy with my 223 fluted barrel is super. so more fumbling till i get a system figured that will stick in my feeble mind from time to time.

let me know if you beat me to the secret and ill do the same.

Ted

Four Fingers of Death
09-23-2010, 11:14 AM
I have three Ruger No1s at the moment, but they are big muthas and not conducive to fast shooting. I used to have a 220Swift Ruger No1 and when we were culling feral goats, I was much faster than my friend who had a bolt rifle..

selmerfan
09-23-2010, 12:30 PM
There is a device in the frame that prevents cocking the frame with out a barrel or when it's open. It get's pushed back when the barrel is closed, allowing the hammer to be cocked. I suppose you could go to the trouble of pinning that piece in place, or some other method of keeping it in position so as to allow the hammer to be cocked. If you're holding the frame without a barrel, it's on the right-hand side of the interior wall of the flame. Just run your finger in there and push it back and you can cock the hammer. I'll let you figure it out from there.

Doc Highwall
09-23-2010, 01:13 PM
It is part of the safety for not allowing to fire out of battery. The best you can do is put a hammer extension to help cock faster.

home in oz
09-23-2010, 02:03 PM
Practice and build muscle memory.

Shoot more.

Say, that sounds like a good idea....

Four Fingers of Death
09-23-2010, 10:40 PM
Practice and build muscle memory.

Shoot more.

Say, that sounds like a good idea....

And learn to over ride well developed cowboy muscle memory. LOL,

I need a hornet bbl for cheap practice! The 17Ack Hornet si too good to wear out.

In the meantime, a lot of soupcan boolits with plinking level loads in the 308 Bbl might suffice. Nothing liek an excuse for a new Bbl though. A 30/30 would be excellent, but a bit close to the 308.