PDA

View Full Version : Anyone buy a new mini-lathe lately?

cheese1566
09-22-2010, 10:40 PM
Anybody buy a new mini-lathe lately? within the last year?

Either Harbor Freight, Grizzly, Lathemaster, Shop Fox, MicroLux...

I have researched mini-lathe.com, but would like some up-to-date info and specs.

wallenba
09-22-2010, 10:57 PM
Interesting looking Ishy ya got there. Looked in here because I might be interested in a mini-lathe too, just for small amateur beginner jobs. (zero experience)

C.F.Plinker
09-22-2010, 11:18 PM
Like you I read about these on several forums before getting mine. Harbor Freight always seems to have their 7x10 on sale but after reading that it is really more like a 7x8 and looking at them in the local HF, I decided to go with a 7x12. The one from toolsnow.com (http://www.toolsnow.com/metal-working-tools/mini-metal-lathe.html) came with more accessories that I thought I would use than the others. I used the Little Machine Shop to price them out so I could add them onto the prices of the others and compare apples with apples. When I got mine it was missing a couple of the wrenches. One call to Tools Now and they were in the mail to me and arrived a few days later.

I am now trying to self teach myself to use it and having fun making a few things. When you get yours order some tool bits so you can grind your own cutters. If yours comes with a set of carbide bits they will work to get you going but you will probably be happier grinding your own. Also go down to HF and get their set of T-handle metric allen wrenches. They are invaluable when you start to take the lathe apart to clean it and get it adjusted. A lot of the shooting magazines have HF ads with a 20% of coupon in them and that will save you a little bit.

82nd airborne
09-23-2010, 09:08 AM
I bought a grizzly back in february. If set up on a very solid wood table, It will cut pretty well for iits size.

akraven
09-23-2010, 11:06 PM
There are some Yahoo groups for the mini lathes that are full of good info and good knowledgeable people

Bret4207
09-24-2010, 07:32 AM
I am now trying to self teach myself to use it and having fun making a few things. When you get yours order some tool bits so you can grind your own cutters. If yours comes with a set of carbide bits they will work to get you going but you will probably be happier grinding your own. Also go down to HF and get their set of T-handle metric allen wrenches. They are invaluable when you start to take the lathe apart to clean it and get it adjusted. A lot of the shooting magazines have HF ads with a 20% of coupon in them and that will save you a little bit.

I realize carbide is all the rage today, both in machine tools and wood tools, but- you take a small, not so rigid lathe or table was and use SHARP properly formed HSS tools or saw blade and you will find out that carbide just ain't the best choice for some stuff. Try it, you'll be surprised.

Casting Timmy
09-25-2010, 09:28 AM
I was looking for mini-lathes or a used lathe and ending up getting a used Montgomery Wards lathe. I'm happy with my lathe and am glad I found it before a mini-lathe. I'll probably wish I had a mini lathe though when it comes time to move as my lathe is in my basement.

Char-Gar
09-25-2010, 11:37 AM
I don't know if you would call this a mini-lathe, but here is my 1947 vintage 9 X 18 Logan I bought on Ebay a few years back for $650.00. It came with lots of tooling. If you are patient and take your time, it will do anything a larger lathe wiill do within it's size limitations.

Casting Timmey... Monkey Ward lathes were made by Logan. Sears lathes were made by Atlas.

Bullshop
09-25-2010, 12:27 PM
For those of you that are still interested in a mini lathe I have available an old Unimat with some tools and accessories and spare parts like extra motor extra chuck, face plate/dog. carbide and HSS cutters and what not.
It also comes with the over head mill conversion unit. It is in excellent condition and a realy solid little precision tool perfect for making top punches for lubrisizers and similer tools.
I will entertain all trade offers.

deltaenterprizes
09-25-2010, 01:40 PM
PM sent to Bullshop.

Bullshop
09-25-2010, 02:25 PM
PM replied to.
Unimat is still available

Buckshot
09-27-2010, 02:34 AM
I realize carbide is all the rage today, both in machine tools and wood tools, but- you take a small, not so rigid lathe or table was and use SHARP properly formed HSS tools or saw blade and you will find out that carbide just ain't the best choice for some stuff. Try it, you'll be surprised.

............I'm with Bret on this too. I use carbide primarily for heavy repetitive stuff, or 'special situations'. This is probably simplistic, but I believe carbide likes to be pushed. I've had it do really well in those situations, but if I'm striving for a super finish I use HSS, and have a couple tools set up for, and ONLY used for removing the very last thousandths, or parts of a thousandth. Possibly there are carbide inserts or brazed tools that will do that but I don't have any, nor have I ever been able to grind one to do that (and last any length of time).

http://www.fototime.com/27DBAFBE166C54E/standard.jpghttp://www.fototime.com/9B0D0524E52D685/standard.jpg

My cousin's husband owns a business doing field repairs on machinery and such, and wanted some rings made. He gave me the material which was some old (Left Photo) scabby rusty 3" sch 80 pipe, so that was a job for carbide (IMHO) and peeling off a .125" DOC went swimingly (made my 11" Logan growl :-)). Another instance is going fast and hard Right Photo like when I'm making die body blanks. Running a 3' long piece of .750" O-1 through the spindle and turning it into 1.560" long die bodys of .720" - .700" OD, and then parting off will after 5-6 of'em have the bar so hot you can hardly touch it. The finish is okay, but I've never been able to take a finer cut with carbide and have it come out as nice as HSS will give.

.................Buckshot

deltaenterprizes
09-27-2010, 05:41 PM
I find carbide inserts do not like less than a .005'' cut. A brazed carbide bit sharpened on a diamond wheel is a little more forgiving but not much. HSS wil work best for most home shop applications.

Shooter
09-28-2010, 06:09 PM
I have a Harbor Freight 7X10. It has been out of service with motor control problems more than I have got to use it.

snommittj
10-04-2010, 10:05 PM
I've got a Lathemaster 9X30 that I bought from Bob Bertrand. He offers a smaller model too. Bob is a great guy to deal with. He will help you any way he can. He is very knowledgeable and will guide you in the right direction if you dont know what all you need.

gee-gaw
10-05-2010, 11:23 PM
My H F 7X10 has been going for a year and a half and has give no problems. With that said, I.m just about to out-grow it. I need something I can chuck a barrel in. I'll keep pit for those small projects...I think. I agree with the other guys, HSS is your best choice for finish cuts. If your like me, it's a good way to get your feet wet and not break the bank.
Wayne

cheese1566
10-05-2010, 11:35 PM
Yeah, I am getting partial to one of the Grizzly mini-lathes for $525. I know they aren't "shop quality", but feel they can be probably suit my needs of tinkering and learning.
In my comparisons, the Grizzly comes with a steady rest and chip trays compared those against the Harbor Freight models. The closest HF store is far enough away that shipping would be cheaper than gas, and too far away to worthy the 20% off coupon.
Or maybe drop twice the money and get the G0602, it would serve all my needs into the future...

Buckshot
10-06-2010, 01:40 AM
..............Get as much as you can afford now as they'll never be less expensive, and considering the direction the dollar might go ................?

..............Buckshot

cheese1566
10-06-2010, 07:48 AM
..............Get as much as you can afford now as they'll never be less expensive, and considering the direction the dollar might go ................?

..............Buckshot

That is the winning answer! I think I'll be happy with whatever I get. Hoping for some first hand experience with one of the Grizzly lathes mentioned above. I know everyone has the experience that a project comes along out of the capacity of their equipment. That is what my friendly local machine shop is for, plus they have barstools and a coffeemaker and always willing to answer questions.
:-D

Tazman1602
10-06-2010, 08:07 AM
I've got a Grizzly 9x20 I bought some years back and have been *fairly* happy with it. If you buy one of these get on the Yahoo groups forum dealing with them:

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/9x20Lathe/

That's for the 9x20 mini lathe group. Here's the smaller mini lathe group:

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/7x10minilathe/

Certain things you are going to want to do if you buy one of these. You can get a lot of experience just building things you need, e.g. a four bolt toolpost hold down fixture, aligning the tailstock, etc.

That being said I wish I had waited a few years -- or known Buckshot then as I would have saved my money and gotten a lathe I could turn barrel threads on. The headstock on these lathes and especially the thread turning abilities pale in comparison to lathes that are actually made to perform these operations.

Once you get the lathe tightened up where it should be, even though it's smaller, you can do some REALLY neat stuff with it..............

Art

94Doug
10-06-2010, 02:46 PM
I am leaning towards the newer 7X16 Microlux. Have not pulled the trigger yet, however. It sounds like the Microlux machines are less labor intensive on set up, as in less dis-assembly before use, and de-greased. This new model has eliminated the gears, so is the same weight as the 14" with the larger footprint. I reinforced my theory that with all of my hobby desires, they start out costing much less in theory than they actually cost out of pocket. It's easy to talk yourself up to the next model, to the next......

Doug

cheese1566
10-06-2010, 03:19 PM
Yeah the leaping to higher ones is easy to do. The Microlux machines are tempting and I like their idea of imperial markings on the dials. i also like the idea of buying the $500-600 units and spend the rest on a quick change post and tooling.

I am letting my lathe fund grow as I search. Just trying not to spend it is something else...

94Doug
10-06-2010, 03:26 PM
...a lot of my fund was spent on a lake up north. Well worth it though.

Doug

argie1891
10-06-2010, 05:09 PM
I bought the grizzly 10x22 go604 2 years ago and really love it. on advantage it has is a full 1 inch spindle bore. it can be used for blr work. the biggest problem with all these small machines is the slowest speed is around 150 rpm. i have a friend who is an electircal wizzard and he helped me put on a 220 volt 3 phase motor and some controlor now it goes from 35 rpm to 2400 rpm. it is almost impossible to make good threads at 150 rpm. joe gifford aka argie1891

Beekeeper
10-07-2010, 12:37 PM
I guess for me the problem is space>
I would love to have one (even one of the Harbor Freight ones) but where to put it.
Have thought about maybe putting it on a roll away but do not know how stable that would be.

Sure would be nice to have to make some of the tinker projects I get ideas about.
OOH well.

Jim

Ernest
10-08-2010, 12:00 AM
once you get one what ever kind you get you will wonder how you got along with out it. I have a 8x12 and I'm surprised at some of the stuff that it is capable of.. On the other hand as soon as you get it you will want something bigger.

Hang Fire
10-09-2010, 03:27 PM
Few years ago I bought a mini lathe and mill, could not be happier with them. Kept within limitations, they are truely bargains.

My mini page here:

http://hstrial-rchambers.homestead.com/Rolands_Mini_machine_shop.html

cheese1566
10-09-2010, 03:41 PM
Very nice and like those tips!

jmsj
10-10-2010, 09:42 PM
Hang fire,
Great site.
What kind of projects have you tackled w/ your set up? I have access to a 12"X36" lathe at work but been thinking it would be great to have a small one here at home to do small projects. Small projects like expander dies, sizing dies and small gun parts. What do you think?
jmsj

Buckshot
10-11-2010, 02:28 AM
Hang fire,
Great site.
What kind of projects have you tackled w/ your set up? I have access to a 12"X36" lathe at work but been thinking it would be great to have a small one here at home to do small projects. Small projects like expander dies, sizing dies and small gun parts. What do you think?
jmsj

................They'd be great. Simply do a websearch typing in 7" lathe. Grab a cup of coffee as you'll find lots of reading and picture looking on many sites.

..............Buckshot

cheese1566
10-23-2010, 12:29 PM
Guess I comitted myself to a mini-lathe...probably a 7x12" Grizzly.

I just ordered a A2Z CNC quick change tool post set from Little Machine Shop. They had a weekly special of the quick change tool post set, plus two extra holders for $99.
http://www.littlemachineshop.com/products/weekly_special.php

Buckshot
10-24-2010, 03:12 AM
Guess I comitted myself to a mini-lathe...probably a 7x12" Grizzly.

I just ordered a A2Z CNC quick change tool post set from Little Machine Shop. They had a weekly special of the quick change tool post set, plus two extra holders for $99.
http://www.littlemachineshop.com/products/weekly_special.php

.............You're on your way now. Get a cheap spiral bound notebook and write down what you bought, the date, and how much it cost. I wish I'd done that. Years later it'd be fun to look back at it. Maybe weep a little [smilie=l:

.................Buckshot