PDA

View Full Version : Bowling Ball Mortar

smokemjoe
09-22-2010, 09:32 PM
Over a year ago I started a thread on making bowling ball mortar, Johnch is going to help me add the finished up mortar, Thanks- Johnch
4oz. BB= 400 yds.= 400 yds.

Johnch
09-22-2010, 10:20 PM
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v312/johnch/fish/BBMaking072.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v312/johnch/fish/BBMaking070.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v312/johnch/fish/BBMaking071.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v312/johnch/fish/BBMaking067.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v312/johnch/fish/BBMaking066.jpg

Hope I have these in the right order

IMO it looks like a fun toy
But I would get myself in WAY to much trouble with a toy like this :bigsmyl2:

John

leftiye
09-23-2010, 01:31 AM
Here kitty kitty:bigsmyl2:

whitetailsniper
09-23-2010, 01:44 AM
so was this considered a 15 pound grain ball?-lol-lol i herd of guys hunting for godzillia,i think this would take him down! lol lol nice job on the cannon guys

scrapcan
09-23-2010, 12:14 PM
Now that think would get the neighbors attention. I wish you were in teh neighborhood I live in!

Very well done.

bstarling
09-23-2010, 01:23 PM
Do you have any photos of the fabrication job. What is the tube made from. It sort of looks like steam pipe. Anyway, that's a nice job there.

Bill

JeffinNZ
09-23-2010, 06:20 PM
Which way do you seat the sprue!? LOL.

How I would like a bowling ball motar. One day.

smokemjoe
09-23-2010, 08:11 PM
Which way do you seat the sprue!? LOL.

How I would like a bowling ball motar. One day.

You have to put the 3 spruce holes up or your blow the ball apart in the barrel.

smokemjoe
09-23-2010, 08:18 PM
Do you have any photos of the fabrication job. What is the tube made from. It sort of looks like steam pipe. Anyway, that's a nice job there.

Bill

The tube is made from a Argon tank used on a welder, it 3A2400 tank, Thats the only one that will work, A bowliing ball is 8.563, the inside of the tank like 8. 750.
If you go to web site www.gbocannons.com and look under making- BB Mortar, is alot of pics. on making this from start to end.
I also made one to shoot golf balls and one to shoot beer cans, a can full of cement, I can throw 275 yds. It goes so high in the air that it looks like a pea befor it reachs it peak.
Thanks for looking. Joe

scrapcan
09-24-2010, 04:27 PM
Joe,

I am intersted in the GB mortar. Can you shed some light on it? I sthis the $23 dollar mortar on GBO?

I would be interested in what you used to build it. I signed up at GBO some time ago and I am not recognized by forum software so I had to re-register.

home in oz
09-24-2010, 06:44 PM
I guess some early cannons were wood with iron straps around them.

smokemjoe
09-24-2010, 09:55 PM
Is there any City Ordinance agaist fireing a MORTAR ?

Is the welding tank strong enough to handle the pressure blast?
they typically are 3,000 PSI or less

I WOOD think you WOOD need a Strong material not just like a WOOD Cannon

How many shots do you think this fellow took?

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/5/57/Quaker_Gun2.jpg/220px-Quaker_Gun2.jpg

I put a powder chamber on it welded to the tank, A piece of steel 6x6 in. and bored the powder chamber 2x2 in. deep with a 2 in radius ball mill in the bottom. all the pressure is in the steel chamber weld ed to the tank,

Mk42gunner
09-25-2010, 02:57 AM
I would have way too much fun with something like that.

How many times can you reuse a bowling ball?

Robert

TCLouis
09-25-2010, 09:37 AM
4oz. BB= 400 yds.= 400 yds.

I assume this translates to 4 ounces of Black Powder = 400 yards of Bowling Ball travel.
Or better said and more correctly the Bowling Ball lands 400 yards away depending on the angle at which the bore is set.

Is that cannon black powder or finer grind?

smokemjoe
09-26-2010, 08:18 AM
I would have way too much fun with something like that.

How many times can you reuse a bowling ball?

Robert

4 times for sure and up to 12,

smokemjoe
09-26-2010, 08:21 AM
Its 2 ff but just got some 1 f , 3 fa and 4 fa

danski26
09-26-2010, 08:13 PM
Thats too cool!

Buckshot
10-01-2010, 01:11 AM
...............I've got a golfball cannon made out of some type of stainless steel (it was a piece dicarded in my direction). If you hold it you have to make sure the fuse isn't pointing UP, or you might get a piece of it under your chin, or up your nose, and that'd make you eye water smartly!. As mentioned in a previous post I have to make a larger steady rest for the lathe to make my beer can morter. I have a piece of 4.5" x 14" 1045 steel to fab it up from.

The picture was from the first NCBS held at Topaz Lake, NV in 2000. You can click on it to make it larger.

...............Buckshot

Multigunner
10-01-2010, 03:56 AM
The swedes once made lightweight mountain guns by shrink wrapping in leather a iron tube braced by straps and bands.
The guns worked fine launching hollow explosive shells, and won a few battles, but they deteriorated after a few months and were junked after a few blew up after being poorly stored.

The Phillipine guerillas used a large diameter gas pipe as the liner for wooden hulled cannon.
The smaller of those were strapped to trees and loaded with musket balls or scrap metal. They deployed these much as we would place a claymoore mine.
They'd used that tactic with the more sturdy traditional home cast small cannon.
The wooden guns were much cheaper and no great loss when captured after firing one shot.

Wooden cannon were constructed by Catholic missionaries to arm christian Indians in South America when the local military authorities decided they weren't exempt from being enslaved as the non christians were already being carried off as slaves or forced labor.
The wooden cannon weren't enough to drive away the Spanish soldiers though.

A few wooden cannon were constructed by American pioneers to ward off Indian attacks. The mere presence of any sort of cannon was usually enough to discourage a war party from coming too close to the stockade walls of a settlement.

smokemjoe
10-04-2010, 08:35 AM
...............I've got a golfball cannon made out of some type of stainless steel (it was a piece dicarded in my direction). If you hold it you have to make sure the fuse isn't pointing UP, or you might get a piece of it under your chin, or up your nose, and that'd make you eye water smartly!. As mentioned in a previous post I have to make a larger steady rest for the lathe to make my beer can morter. I have a piece of 4.5" x 14" 1045 steel to fab it up from.

The picture was from the first NCBS held at Topaz Lake, NV in 2000. You can click on it to make it larger.

...............Buckshot

Take a piece of SS plate like 1/8 thick x 1 in. by 1 in. 4-5 in. long and bend it at 90 Deg, about 1in. from the top and weld it above the vent to stop the fuse from comming str. up. It will hit the lip on the plate. Or weld a plate on a angle to stop the fuse